Purchased an Expedition G Wagen

McBride

Adventurer
I wish I'd driven down your road that day! It would've confused the hell out of me to see the buckets...

Indeed you would have. My wife rode by on her bike when I was setting them up - told me to get out of the way!

McBride

Adventurer
Frankenstein lost his headbolts

I finally took the knuckles off of Frankenstein's head (dual spare mounts). It was a bugger as they had welded the bolt heads on so the cut off wheel was the answer.

Figured they weighed another 20lbs.

Now I'll finish off the front of the rub rail protection concept and get everything painted up.

Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• no head bolts 1.jpg
    no head bolts 1.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 142
  • no head bolts - drivers.jpg
    no head bolts - drivers.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 144
  • no head bolts closer.jpg
    no head bolts closer.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 145

swb

Observer
Wow, the stance is really widened now with the tires sticking out past the fenders. Was that the wheels or portals causing that?
That will make it illegal on many countries roads unless flares can cover them.

McBride

Adventurer
It's the portals - add about 3 1/2" to each side of the axle.

I have the wider fender flares and just need to install them. The rear flares need to be modified in order to fit nicely onto the flat surface of the camper. It will likely be a November project.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Looks great!
The top would be an OK place for second spare, but the rear looks alot more manageable for the primary, especially for a big heavy tire rim combo.

Last edited:

McBride

Adventurer
Alive and well

Jeez, I can't believe I haven't posted anything since April - been working way to much.

I finally got out on a short but sweet winter trip. This is the first time I've been with the Tibus Portals in deep snow. 18" was no problem although I did have to lock everything up when off trail. For real performance I definitely need chains.

Here are a couple of pics.

G and Pinz.jpgAbominable Snow G.jpg

McBride

Adventurer
Thanks Jeremy. I've checked out that thread. I'll likely go with the Sprints and carry repair links. I really want the lateral resistance they offer. I'll be ordering some soon - likely from the guys you mentioned as I need some help in sizing.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks Jeremy. I've checked out that thread. I'll likely go with the Sprints and carry repair links. I really want the lateral resistance they offer. I'll be ordering some soon - likely from the guys you mentioned as I need some help in sizing.

I'm going to order some spare links now...

ILIAN

Adventurer
With good aired down tires you may be ok. I had a brand new set of 33" Duratracks during the snowpocalypse here last year and I was going through 2+ ft of snow with no portals. I was running 25 psi on the tires and they weren't digging very deep.

McBride

Adventurer
With good aired down tires you may be ok. I had a brand new set of 33" Duratracks during the snowpocalypse here last year and I was going through 2+ ft of snow with no portals. I was running 25 psi on the tires and they weren't digging very deep.

Yeah, that point is super important. I was able to make this trip with highway pressure in the tires. Without chains and in the deep snow airing down was my plan B but I didn't need it. I need to change my habits and start airing down sooner.

2' is impressive. Gotta love having 3 lockers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94