Purchasing Vehicle Out of State - Registration/Tags/Insurance Issues

Roadchump

I bought my medium ambulance from GEV. I made the arrangements to buy it with one inspection trip, lined up insurance, then flew back to pick it up. Their salesman drove me to the area's license plate office, and I got a vehicle in transit paper tag in about 5 minutes. We screwed it on, and I was good to go. I went through three scales on the return trip without any questions.
How was GEV to deal with overall? I’m considering using them to help me find my first Ambo. Thx

rlrenz

Explorer
How was GEV to deal with overall? I’m considering using them to help me find my first Ambo. Thx
GEV was great to work with. I'd seen the medium I wanted on their web site, I called them and talked to their salesman, Shawn, and then flew out to meet with them. I took it for a test drive, and then we discussed price and what I wanted. I wanted "refurbished", which included changing fluids and filters, sanitizing the interior, and getting the vehicle ready to use as an ambulance. They replaced the red & blue emergency lights with clear lenses, and removed ambulance lettering, as per PA law. I also asked for some touchup painting. They needed a month to run it through the shop. I flew back a month later with a cashier's check. They picked me up at the PA airport. I paid them, and Shawn drove me to a license office to get a 30 day temporary license plate. I drove to a local motel for the night, then picked up my son at the airport, and then we headed home after stopping off at a Walmart for snacks, and other stuff for the return trip.

Start tracking down insurance as soon as you have a VIN - it can take some searching to find a carrier if your regular insurance company doesn't write commercial policies.

And if the vehicle you buy is over about 10 years old, and has hydraulic brakes, plan on replacing all your brake lines soon! Fire dept vehicles are washed very often, and the constant humidity, plus salt in the north, is very hard on brake lines.

Roadchump

GEV was great to work with. I'd seen the medium I wanted on their web site, I called them and talked to their salesman, Shawn, and then flew out to meet with them. I took it for a test drive, and then we discussed price and what I wanted. I wanted "refurbished", which included changing fluids and filters, sanitizing the interior, and getting the vehicle ready to use as an ambulance. They replaced the red & blue emergency lights with clear lenses, and removed ambulance lettering, as per PA law. I also asked for some touchup painting. They needed a month to run it through the shop. I flew back a month later with a cashier's check. They picked me up at the PA airport. I paid them, and Shawn drove me to a license office to get a 30 day temporary license plate. I drove to a local motel for the night, then picked up my son at the airport, and then we headed home after stopping off at a Walmart for snacks, and other stuff for the return trip.

Start tracking down insurance as soon as you have a VIN - it can take some searching to find a carrier if your regular insurance company doesn't write commercial policies.

And if the vehicle you buy is over about 10 years old, and has hydraulic brakes, plan on replacing all your brake lines soon! Fire dept vehicles are washed very often, and the constant humidity, plus salt in the north, is very hard on brake lines.
Great tips and advice, thanks!

rlrenz

Explorer
I paid a premium versus buying one from an auction, but since I was retired, I decided to pay up front for a very good unit that I could rely on to make it back to MN. One way or another, changing the fluids and filters needed to happen, and I prefered to pay GEV versus doing it later. Sometimes, ambulances on an auction may have mechanical problems, or the using department may have saved lights or parts (such as the inverter) as spares for other equipment. During the process of buying my unit, I learned a lot about ambulances, and I've continued to learn.

Am I glad I bought from GEV? Yes. Would I buy from them again? Yes.

If you talk to Shawn, tell him Bob Renz said hello. He might remember me, but I bought mine in May of 2014, and it may have slipped his memory.

rlrenz

Explorer
GEV can be a little challenging to get to -- my Garmin tried to lead me on a tour of the eastern seaboard until I looked at the city map I'd purchased at the PHL airport. GEV is located in an industrial park that used to be an airport, so the roads are a little challenging. Take I95 through Philadelphia then just before you cross into NJ, take the Bristol Pike exit. Head North on the Bristol Pike to Edgely Road, then NW to Curtis, then SW to Hartel.

When I picked it up a month later, I stopped at the Bristol Pike Walmart for travel supplies, then I drove though Philadelphis south on I95 to pick up my so at the PHL airport. I had planned on picking up the ambulance on Friday so son could fly in on Saturday, plus we'd have lower traffic through PHL.

I also picked up a Rand McNally trucker's road atlas and bought a new Rand McNally trucker's GPS for the trip back to MN. The Garmin was trashed. We found that the GPS and the truck's speedometer were within 1 MPH of each other.

Cruising speed for the return trip was about 65-70, including up the hill by the New River Gorge (Highway 64?). Mileage was about 12 or so -- we filled up at about every 250 miles.

Used ambulances often have worn out seat cushions - I bought a fancy urethane foam seat cushion from Amazon just for the trip, and it really made a difference. Future plans include a Bostrom FRED re-upholstery package (new foam, new fabric, same seat frame)

Remember, you have to stop at state truck scales, but with an empty truck and a vehicle-in-transit license tab, we never had any questions.

The good news, is that with all the toll roads, we actually found one road that didn't charge for ambulances. We told the attendant that we were not an ambulance, but she said we were, so no charge. We didn't argue. Plan on cash for the tollroads! It worked well for the co-driver to dig out the money for the driver, as well as watching road signs/etc.

Shawn McKitrick, GEV
DSCN4284.JPG

Rand McNally GPS
DSCN4315.JPG

Son at 70 MPH
DSCN4313.JPG

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
By the way - if you visit GEV, tell Shawn hello from Bob Renz. He may/may not remember me, but I bought my Medic Master/Freightliner from GEV in May of 2014. He can dicker a bit on the prices as well, but he doesn't have a lot of room to work with.

rlrenz

Explorer
No - GEV does a complete inspection, plus it had a current NY ambulance inspection tag, so I didn't see a reason for an independent inspection. If it hadn't had a current NY inspection, or if I had bought it from a private party, I'd want a private inspection.

Roadchump

No - GEV does a complete inspection, plus it had a current NY ambulance inspection tag, so I didn't see a reason for an independent inspection. If it hadn't had a current NY inspection, or if I had bought it from a private party, I'd want a private inspection.
Makes sense, thanks. Heading over there tomorrow to look at a few units.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier