Putt Step Van Build

Putts

I'll get there.
Great build. I never know why this style van is not more often used.

Thanks, Ross. I agree, I'm biased, of course, but I think a step van is a great platform for a build. It's one of the main reasons I decided to post up here. I wanted to provide the alternative in this well traveled forum.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Nice write up, I had my fingers crossed for the final post to be in the backcountry with a TW200 on the back. Ill be watching anyways, keep it up.

dar395

Adventurer
Hey Putts this was an enjoyed start of a build as I read through it! I was thinking a front mounted hitch receiver: over at e-trailer you can get a adjustable Draw-tight trailer mount hitch and a Black Widow bike carrier from Discount Racks off the Dent site for $71 it'd look great carrying a T-Dub up front! Sh+t when you said your old I was thinking you'd be north of 70. but your just a kid, keep enjoying your youth.

Putts

I'll get there.
^^Thanks.

Hey Putts this was an enjoyed start of a build as I read through it! I was thinking a front mounted hitch receiver: over at e-trailer you can get a adjustable Draw-tight trailer mount hitch and a Black Widow bike carrier from Discount Racks off the Dent site for $71 it'd look great carrying a T-Dub up front! Sh+t when you said your old I was thinking you'd be north of 70. but your just a kid, keep enjoying your youth.

Words of wisdom from an old geezer? :) I'll keep working on it.

Nah, I'm going to get a custom bumper built for the rear to hold the bike, propane tanks, spare tire, sand rails, etc. Than I'll have a Gray Cordura cover built to go over the whole shebang. I'm trying to keep the build as stealthy as possible. Step vans are big, but they practically disappear when parked behind and between a tire store and mattress warehouse. I want to keep it that way...if possible. Kinda tricky, but I'm trying.

sackettmw

Maybe I didn't see it but where is the make up air for your wall ventilation system drawing from? I am planning something similar in my Savana and am thinking about inlets at the bottom from underneath the van.

Putts

I'll get there.
Maybe I didn't see it but where is the make up air for your wall ventilation system drawing from? I am planning something similar in my Savana and am thinking about inlets at the bottom from underneath the van.

Hi!

Thought I had a better picture but...

20160504_144909-L.jpg

The main air entry into the walls is in the garage. You can see the holes in the walls in this picture behind the wheel well. I haven't cut them yet, but there will be two large vents cut into rear van wall on either side of the garage door under the tail lights---where the little broom is in the picture. Thinking maybe of a circular marine butterfly vent.

shopping

One thing I've noticed is a lot of dust getting into that rear door when traveling on dirt roads. I think i'm going to run the fan in reverse when going down dirt roads to pressurize the interior and hopefully keep the dust at bay.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Really looking good Putts...... we share some things:

. Grey Beards
. KLR putter
. Expo rig
. Practical Fellow
. Dometic Top Load Fridge

Couple things different"

. You got hair on your head
. KLR putter (mine is diesel powered w/cvt)
. Expo rig.... you got shiat more done than I. You will get shiat better fuel mileage. Mine is AWD military LMTV with Ambulance Box for Camper (not yet assembled)
. You got skills, Talent, work space and tools. Me mostly got none of that lol.

Look forward to watching this build.

Putts

I'll get there.
Really looking good Putts...... we share some things:

. Grey Beards
. KLR putter
. Expo rig
. Practical Fellow
. Dometic Top Load Fridge

Couple things different"

. You got hair on your head
. KLR putter (mine is diesel powered w/cvt)
. Expo rig.... you got shiat more done than I. You will get shiat better fuel mileage. Mine is AWD military LMTV with Ambulance Box for Camper (not yet assembled)
. You got skills, Talent, work space and tools. Me mostly got none of that lol.

Look forward to watching this build.

Thanks, Coach. Went for a little look-see in your thread. A couple points...

Hair is overrated. Sometimes mine is so messed up in the morning it hurts.

KLRs are great...I've lusted after those diesel ones. Mine will go away to be replaced with a TW200. It's more 'agricultural' than 'adventure' but I'll be able to pick it up more easily.

Putt only barely qualifies as an expo rig by being better on a Forest Service road than an RV. Actually, it's probably the composting toilet and 60 gal. water tank that push it over the line. Yours is no baloney Expo.

Please reserve your "got skills" comments until you see the handy work with your own eyes. Spent a whole day with filler and a putty knife in there.

"Space and tools" are, at the moment, to cold to be in and hold on to.

With you 100% on the fridge though.

Cheers!

Last edited:

lqhikers

Adventurer
Just finished reading your build and will be following it tell your on the road, then i hope you keep us
van lovers updated.
I've had a lot of rigs and the only one i still miss is our 1972 chevy van.
Don't worry about weight we put over 150 thousand miles on ours all over baja and mainland mexico
loaded to the max with kayaks motorcycle zodiac with 20 hp outboard.2- 50 gal custom gas tanks.
complete conversion, solar was not on the forefront like it is today went with propane.
not to jump on your build but had to show you what we still miss, thank twice before you ever think about selling!

Les,lqhikers

Attachments

• P1010556.JPG
    P1010556.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 30
  • P1010517.JPG
    P1010517.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 27

Putts

I'll get there.
Thank you! Jump in all you want. Love the pics!

How did you find it on sand?

You bet I'll keep this thread updated 'til I get on the road, and for the continuing build thereafter. Lots more to do.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Thanks, Coach. Went for a little look-see in your thread. A couple points...

KLRs are great...I've lusted after those diesel ones....
This is NOT one of THOSE diesel ones lol. It is a custom. 418cc with CVT belt drive. Trust it for longevity way more than the HDT. Not as fast... but you can get PARTS for it. lol

lqhikers

Adventurer
Sand, i might say we never got stuck but it was not to be.
Van had duel rear wheels so if i was not to lazy and would take time to lower psi it would do pretty good
as long as you made sure you stopped facing downhill! being old school we also had a wood burning stove.
Engine was 292 inline six with 4 speed and rear locker regeared for highway, never let us down.
In the beach picture you can just see our old Yamaha 250. We also went to tw200 route great when you get older.
By the way our now go to van is a 2016 ford transit camper conversion (home made of course)
Les,lqhikers

Last edited:

Putts

I'll get there.
Note to self: Get a compressor for airing tires back up.

Thanks!

Took a look at your Transit....nice clean build.

Luv me a T-dub. Great old fart bike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles