Quest for the Perfect Family Tent

Hello!
I need help finding a family ground tent that meets this set of requirements:
-Fast setup and take down. We always seem to get to camp later than intended and spending an hour setting up camp is a total bummer when everyone is tired and hungry.
-Under 65" long when stored. This has been the hardest thing to come up with. Gazelle and OzTent are to long to fit in my F150 with 5.5ft bed without laying diagonally. We tried...
-Enough space for a family of 4; my wife and I, and our 2 toddlers.
-Quality is importsnt, price way less so. I need something that will last and survive dogs, kids, and harsh weather. I'm prepared to pony up for it.

We just arent ready to make the jump into a rooftop tent, although I think that's an eventuality. The kids just arent quite ready for that yet.

Any help or leads are greatly appreciated!

Porkchopexpress

I have an alpha kilo 4000 and I love it. The biggest negative is that it is heavy but that makes it feel comfortable in wind and rain in my opinion. I keep the poles separate so I carry two bags instead of the full weight all at once. It takes me about 15 minutes to set up so not super quick. I think Tractor Supply sometimes carrys them.

I have an alpha kilo 4000 and I love it. The biggest negative is that it is heavy but that makes it feel comfortable in wind and rain in my opinion. I keep the poles separate so I carry two bags instead of the full weight all at once. It takes me about 15 minutes to set up so not super quick. I think Tractor Supply sometimes carrys them.

I gave Bushtec tents a hard look. I looked at the Delta Zulu model. The quality is definitely there, but the setup seems like a bit of a pain.

garwhal

Observer
I highly recommend spring bar tents. They are heavier but I have had several for almost 25 years of pretty hardcore use, and they still are in great condition. I can setup a spring bar traveler in about 10 minutes by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Photobug

I highly recommend spring bar tents. They are heavier but I have had several for almost 25 years of pretty hardcore use, and they still are in great condition. I can setup a spring bar traveler in about 10 minutes by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been considering a Sprinbgar import for a while because they have a hot tent option with a stove, which seems pretty nice for colder climes. Unfortunately, all US and imported tents and parts have been sold out for months.

I got to take a good look at a Gazelle T4 today. A buddy has one and brought it over so I could set it up in my basement. Besides confirming that it will 100% not fit in a half ton truck bed, I also got to see how poorly they are made. Sort of blows my mind the reputation they have, they are built to the same standards as the Walmart/Coleman stuff... I understand the excellent price of $279 now.

All I want is a well made, easy to set up, storable in my truck bed, not bright friggin orange version of that tent... The search continues.

Giving the Oztent Oxely 5 a hard look, as well as the SeekOutside 8man Tipi. The Oxely looks like it could work, I just wish they made it with the awesome canvas fabric that Oztents are usually made of... Checks every other box though. The Seekoutside Tipis seem pretty awesome, especially with the wood stove inside for cooler weather camping with kiddos, however the setup time seems pretty significant.

Just watched the YouTube video for the Springbar hot tent. Wow those are cool! Not what I'm looking for my current application, but I still want one. Hot tents are rad.

AntecTrek

I got to take a good look at a Gazelle T4 today. A buddy has one and brought it over so I could set it up in my basement. Besides confirming that it will 100% not fit in a half ton truck bed, I also got to see how poorly they are made. Sort of blows my mind the reputation they have, they are built to the same standards as the Walmart/Coleman stuff... I understand the excellent price of $279 now.

All I want is a well made, easy to set up, storable in my truck bed, not bright friggin orange version of that tent... The search continues.

Giving the Oztent Oxely 5 a hard look, as well as the SeekOutside 8man Tipi. The Oxely looks like it could work, I just wish they made it with the awesome canvas fabric that Oztents are usually made of... Checks every other box though. The Seekoutside Tipis seem pretty awesome, especially with the wood stove inside for cooler weather camping with kiddos, however the setup time seems pretty significant.

I've seen the 8man Tipi, it is roomy, storm worthy and offers stand up & walk around space. A truly sustainable backcountry home, great for family camping.

Porkchopexpress

I gave Bushtec tents a hard look. I looked at the Delta Zulu model. The quality is definitely there, but the setup seems like a bit of a pain.
The Alpha Kilo Bow Tent is basically a modern bow design adapted to old school heavy canvas construction. I have set it up about 5 times an it probably takes a couple minutes to unpack, a couple more to lay everything flat in place, 5 minutes to raise it and attach the rain fly and another 5 to 10 minutes to stake everything down with cords and an extended awning. For what it is, it's about as easy a setup as I can imagine. I think you will have to compromise in durability and or features for an easier to set up tent. There is a video on the link below showing the setup.

If you scroll down to "Description" and the first tab is features, the last tab to the right is "video".

I'm pretty sure the UN and other agencies that operate in Africa use Bushtec tents because they are very durable. Definitely last a lifetime if properly stored and not abused.

Last edited:

NMBruce

Adventurer
Had a Kodiak tent that I liked, except that you had to have ground that would let you pound in stakes for the corners and sides.
Good Luck with your search

Photobug

Just watched the YouTube video for the Springbar hot tent. Wow those are cool! Not what I'm looking for my current application, but I still want one. Hot tents are rad.
I think the search to meet your parameters is a hard one. The heavy duty easy set up seem to be really big in storage. The ones that break down smaller like Springbar and Kodiak (essentially the same tent) one primarily US made and the other only Chinese made, are not freestanding and or take 30 minutes to set up.

Have you considered a roof rack and custom storage box for a too large for the back of the truck tent?

One suggestion is to buy a less than high end tent knowing that it will only last so many years depending on use?
REI has seasonal sales where prices are close to $50 off. I have considered one of these for a center tent for everyone to hang out it in, cook and such if it is raining with personal sleeping tents also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles