Question about replacing military wheels/tires on M416 trailer with Toyota OEM wheels

GGimbert

Adventurer
Good evening,

I have a great M416 that recently developed tire deformation of the stock military tires. I was advised that going over 55 mph with it heavily loaded was the cause. Now rather than replacing them with more of the same and having to throttle my speed back I want to add Toyota wheels to match my tow rig and reducing my need to carry a second spare.

1) I was wondering if there were lug pattern conversion spacers?

2) Even if I can get the pattern converted via spacer are such spacers wide enough to step out the wheels enough to compensate for the large offset of The Toyota wheels or will it put too much stress and cause a failure off road.

3) Have the sinking feeling that to do this I am going to have to get a wider axle. Sure hope not cause this thing is already becoming a money pit.

4) And feel free to add in anything else I was not smart enough to ask in relation to this. :)

Is there anyone out there who has gone through this themselves that can offer insight and perhaps relevant supplier for needed supplies?

Thanks,

Greg

Flashole

Adventurer
If you don't need brakes, you can buy a new 3,500 lb. axle for around $119 bucks. Pretty sure that wheel spacers will cost you more than that. They are available though. I opted to buy a new axle. I went with electric brakes and payed $267 with the U bolt kit.

Flashole

Adventurer
I ended up going with Redneck Trailer supply. But, just about any trailer supply will have what you need. Redneck just happened to be quicker and about $50 cheaper.

Not sure about where to get the spacers. I know that there are a couple of companies that guys order from, but I opted for a new axle, so I didn't take note. Read through a few build threads, you'll run across the company names. If you go the spacer route, the thing you need to be aware of is that the stock m416 trailer spindle is wider than the spacers come. I've heard that once you buy them, you have to have the spacers machined out to accept the spindle. All that seemed like a hassle to me. Plus you end up adding 3" to your axle width. My jeep already stops slow, so for me, the added safety of trailer brakes was a no brainer.

Texas TT

I had an M416 axle on my trailer & wanted to switch to a Toyota pattern as well. I don't remember the exact costs, but a new axle was pretty similar in price.

Like everyone else I added trailer brakes as well. On the chance I do take it offroad I did not want the trailer pushing me downhill without trailer brakes.

Conundrum

Observer
Henderson Wheel out of Boise, ID, put my 6,000 lb axle with six lug Toyota spacing and electric brakes together for about $300.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Your best bet is just buy some Jeep 15 x 8 wheels that fit the hub size and save yourself the hassle of buying a new axle and the cost of fitting it. That is what I did. I wish I had the part number but circumstances not under my control prevented that.

Get three wheels and you have a spare and spend less money.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
The M416 is usually 5 x 5.5 and stock CJ rims and tires fit (not sure what the backspace is on these). To go to much over 31" you have to start thinking SOA. You can buy spacer and the guys in Colorado at US Wheel Adapters can do it. The issue is the big center hole on the older M416 axles. They do not keep M416 measurements in stock so just ask them what measurements they need and they can make an adapter.

Nice trailer. I like the lid.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I looked into spaces and they would add 2" or more to the offset. A springover is easy to do. Just undo the axle and turn the axle around. You can still keep the parking brake with a little modification and a trip to Lowes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles