Question about sleeping arrangements in van with penthouse top

GlenStanley

I hope I haven't missed it, but I've done a bit of searching this forum and haven't found what I'm looking for...

We recently had CCV install their hightop penthouse top and are now at the point where we are playing around with the layout of the interior of the van. So far, it is just insulated and carpeted.

We are trying to decide if it will be worth the use of space to put an additional bed of some sort in the lower portion of the van. Especially since it will be just the two of us 99% of the time.

I'm curious how may of you that have a penthouse also have a bed of some sort in the lower portion and how often do you use it? I can think of a few reasons to have a lower bed; stealth camping, high winds, someone else does happen to join us, I'm in the dog house, or snoring too loud.

At least for right now, we don't have any physical limitations that would prevent us from using the penthouse all the time.

Thoughts / experiences / suggestions / Etc.. greatly appreciated.

hansk

I've got a 2001 Sportsmobile EB50 with a poptop and upper/lower beds. We use the lower bed when winter camping. Even with the furnace it gets a bit too cold with top up. But we don't have a thermal insulation barrier for the poptop canvas sides. Maybe with that it would be doable.

Stealth camping (occasionally) is also the other reason. But if it looks/smells like a campervan then the powers that be that want to kick you out will find you. Even more so now that #vanlife has become so popular.

bitman05

We have a CCV top and a convertible sofa bed down below. I installed the sofa bed, it is 72” long and 58” wide (I had to also build a third section near the rear doors to get to that dimension.

I always sleep up top, unless it is cold, we are in a rush to set up and go to sleep, or if our adult daughter is traveling with us. Wife sleeps downstairs otherwise. There is plenty of room upstairs or downstairs for both of us. With our small dog, it becomes a stretch, and he self selects to the passenger seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ramble4x4

We have a 2018 Sprinter with a SMB Penthouse pop top. Slept upstairs last month at 9 degrees without issue. Diesel furnace but of course not optimal with the top up. Sleep downstairs in stealth mode but the dinette bed is a challenge if you are 6’ or more.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Others have covered the main reasons for a 2nd bunk: >2 campers, weather, stealth.

Here's one more:

Different sleep/wake/activity schedules.

We're a family of 3, but one of the things that we appreciate about having two beds is that I'm a super-early-bird. I'm often up before dawn for photography, etc., and the ability to leave other folks quietly in bed is a big plus. I suspect even if there were only two of us, I might end up sleeping separately some of the time. I know a couple of other vanners who work this way too. Having a layout where the early riser can rise, dress, and maybe even make a cup of coffee while the other stays in bed is SUPER nice. YMMV.

GlenStanley

One of the main reasons I went with CCV's top is I'm 6'-5" and their bed is long enough to accommodate me. One of my concerns about the lower bed or gaucho type bed is they seem to be limited to 6' in length. I could make some sort of padded platform that I could put at the end of the bed to give me the extra length, but am trying to keep things simple.

I did pay the extra $ to have the penthouse top insulated for cold weather camping. Although it was doable, it was still a bit too cold inside for my liking the one time I've had a chance to try it out. It was around 26 degrees and I tried it without the heater just to see. With the heater it was fine.

I may just carry a blow-up mattress and sleep on the floor and let my wife sleep on the couch/bed. I can't imagine it would be for too many nights anyway.

Thanks for the input...

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
2 beds for me. If i'm camping with a date, 1 would suffice but if I'm on a fishing trip with a buddy, not so much. If I arrive somewhere alone late, I generally don't pop the top either and crash downstairs instead. I've also considered there are times I might want a bed but cannot pop the top like a parking deck, heavy snow, or even a mechanical failure of either the lifting mechanism or if the canvas/windows got torn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94