Question for you Subaru owners

Clymber

Adventurer
I am tossing around idea of selling the built up Tacoma I have and getting a Subaru. I really like the looks of the Crosstrek but don't think it will have enough room for the fridge/freezer and all the other gear. So thinking of the Forester. How hard are they to mod, I was thinking a lift 2" some more grrrr tires on it etc. I know bigger tires will hurt the MPG but right now if I am lucky I get 16 on the highway in the Tacoma
I already went thru all the pages of the expedition built Subaru and ther are some in there that are pretty sweet that are good models to with

madmax718

Explorer
The cross trek is already a lifted impreza. However if you intend on loading up the rear and the top, the 1" spacers are pretty good for the purpose, but then again so are sumo coil springs. I just ordered a set for my van, we'll see what happens. You also have this: http://get-primitive.com/suspension-lift-kits/148-product.html

product.jpg

madmax718

Explorer
btw, I had a forester and an legacy outback, and test drove the XV- its a great vehicle, and its easy to chase down the miles. They even have under body skids for it, and I've gone though places you would think these subaru's shouldnt. However, the impreza is a compact vehicle. A fridge is a big chunk of its real estate. If you have only 2 passengers it shouldn't be a problem. I've found with these space constraints nowadays, I tend to just run a smaller cooler and restock.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Foresters are easy to modify. In addition to Primitive Engineering mentioned above, take a look at Anderson Design and Fabrication for lift kits, or Subtle Solutions for the same. I would also throw an ARB differential and transmission breather extension on it if you are going to be doing much in the way of water crossings. I think you will have a lot of fun building it.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We love our '14 outback. Our ARB fridge usually goes on the rear seat behind the driver. That leaves enough room for the baby seat in the middle and a passenger on the right. The trunk is HUGE! Big enough that you could sleep in it with seats folded down. I'm waiting to wear the current tires out and then maybe mount something more durable. I actually asked the dealer about it and they didn't recomment it... The argument was that there is nothing available that would fit the stock rims and wheelwells. Of course I could install a lift kit but that just ads more $$$. They also informed me that Subaru doesn't allow the use of snow chains! Apparently there are too many wires/sensors around the wheel wells that are too easy to get damaged with chains. Good wintertires will get you anywhere they said.

madmax718

Explorer
odd, I ran chains on my 97 outback. Well, I should revise that- not "chains" (there isn't enough space for that), but you can run the low profile wire style. And yes, the new outbacks are huge- there's more rear leg room in the outback, but less trunk space than the forester. Just depends on your needs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
2010 OB which has been our go to camping rig as was our 01 Legacy. Even though we've had a cherry 93 Land Cruiser and today a 06 1\2 Sequoia with 78,000 on the clock we always opt for the OB. Two kids, bikes, 4x6 Life time tent trailer. The OB just eats up the pavement miles. Rear seat is big our 65lb Red Doberman ends up migrating to his favorite spot between his kids my 4yr old and 7yr old center seat. I put my duffle in the foot well and the dog is our back seat referee. I typically pack one some times two old school Coleman ice chests in the back along with various gear then stack the dog in his bed over duffle bags etc. The trailer we have bins for the camping gear lashed down with a kids bike or two. Mom and dads bikes on the OB lid some times I run the roof box but not always.

Trailer is about 1300 in loaded mode. No bikes on the OB roof the 2.5 cvt typically averages 21-22mpg for a trip. Bikes on the roof drops us into the 18mpg range. 70mph is easily done but most trips are in areas where the roads are 60 65 tops.

Off pavement you need to dump your base camp gear before you get into too rough of country given ride height loss from gear weight. But the subarus are scrappy and easily get back into areas a typical car cant get to.

I like the XV, forrester mehh its a chick CUV body on a impreza platform. All three impreza, xv and forester I think are to light on load capacity for even single guys that like gear. The OB seems big till its parked next to the Fusion wifes car then its not that big. LoL

Get a outback for the added load capacity, plus you have the better towing capacity also. Impreza platforms are all 1500lb max the legacy/ob is 2700 and they drag up to 1800lbs fairly effortlessly and 2000+ they handle the weight well but cooling systems start getting challenged in hot temps, but the sweet spot is right around 1300-1500 the ob hardly flinches at that towed weight.

When my kids get bigger pre teen etc I hope to be MT biking again and racing sailboats which case I can sorta see us going long bed, 4dr GMC diesel Canyon with top trim interior, flippac and sail boat in tow. But the next 5-6 yrs the 2010 OB is the camping mule.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If I were my young Single no kids version of my self today? Living big city with tight to zero parking and big into camping and adventure sports I'd go Outback, for load capacity and easy parking daily life stuff.

If I were super ultra major camping road tripping and have a really strong income, I would go Diesel Canyon, and some sort of cap, gear garage and hard top roof tent. Getting that mileage / range load capacity in a comfortable ride etc.

tarditi

Explorer
I fit way more stuff in my 2005 WRX than I should have - I had primitive skids and they were great for me.

That said, on the ScoobyMods site there was a person who had a really nice modded forrester.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Wow, I was going to ask the same kinda questions.
I'd really like the XV but with a kid and dog, size becomes an issue. So I was wondering what it's like to tow with the XV (FB20, 145 ftlbs)? Thinking of something light, like a Dinoot (<1000 lbs loaded), for light off-roading.
CaliCamper covers towing with the EJ25 pretty well. I'd imagine it'd be similar with a pre-2012 Impreza or any non-turbo Forester.
Does the XV have anything that makes it better off road, other than elevation, compared to the current Impreza and the 08-11 version? If I'm doing a suspension swap/lift, wheels and tires, why pay the XV premium?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 2L is my big gripe in the xv. It needs 170-180hp. I talked with one xv owner dragging a 1000lb home built rig around. Pavement it does ok but steep climbs he said it can be a really slow grind.

Kids and Dogs? The rear seat in the Legacy/OB 2010 and newer are massive and I swear they designed it for kids and massive kids seats. Hands down OB or Legacy for Kids vs seating space especially if your over 5'10" given the wheel base length creates a healthy front to rear seat spacing for kids in car seats etc.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
^^^ Thx Cali. The XV hybrid has the torque but prices are in the 3.6R territory around me.

I think you hit the points for me, kid's car seat and front comfort. My neighbors have both an 08 and a 13 OB. I will take a closer look.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
^^^ Thx Cali. The XV hybrid has the torque but prices are in the 3.6R territory around me.

I think you hit the points for me, kid's car seat and front comfort. My neighbors have both an 08 and a 13 OB. I will take a closer look.

The legacy / ob up to 09 had a tight rear seat. Thats the primary reason we sold our 01 and got the completely reworked 2010. Huge difference in seating space, that and dramatically better air flow for cooling, and better exhaust etc. Cvt is fantastic by far single best improvement to the old 2.5 EJ.

toymaster

Explorer
I am tossing around idea of selling the built up Tacoma I have and getting a Subaru.

I have an XV for a grocery-getter. The hands-off automatic AWD and CVT trans is perfect for the wife and the weather we have. All she has to do is keep the steering pointed in the right direction and use the accelerator correctly and the car takes care of the rest. I really like driving it as well. Even in the Rockies the 145hp is plenty of power for the little car.

I say, what are your needs? If all you are doing are road trips then your Tacoma is overkill and a waste. If you really get off road then a subaru is not right. Subaru's are great for any (and I mean any) type of road but when it comes to real trails their small tires, plastic facade bumpers, and the AWD is over matched.

Clymber

Adventurer
When I built up the Tacoma I was living in CO that I live in VT I haven't really seen a need for the way it is built. From what I have seen its mostly one day rock bash and mud bogging and I'm not into that. I am more into taking the dirt roads or old logging roads and seeing what's out there. I know I will not be able to rock crawl or go thru 3' deep water but I didn't really do that in my truck. Yes I went thru deep water and over some big rocks but in the time I have had my truck I can count on one hand the number of time
Getting 16mpG is starting to bother me though. I have a full size work truck that has and ATV in the bed 90% of the time and I g et better mileage than my Tacoma which I can't figure out for the life of me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior