Question on Dual Sport purchase

TravelinLight

Observer
So how accurate do you think Kelly Blue Book values are fur used motorcycle prices? The reason I ask is I see many bikes locally on CL which I believe are overpriced and have been for sale a while.

In trying to do as much research as possible and checking KBB it appears as if I am right. I know they have no clue about certain options, I am looking at mostly bone stock bikes.

(Mostly KLR650s)

Thanks for any input, I do not want to low ball the heck out of people, but I also do not want to over pay.

ih8philly

Adventurer
What is your location? In some parts of the country the weather is making this ideal riding, and therefore buying, time. The last two bikes I bought I thought the owners were way over-priced. Both were negotiated down significantly before the purchase (one came down $700, the other $300). My other two bike purchases were virtually un-negotiated but they were listed at very competitive market rates. All the bike transactions I have done, I dont think I have looked at KBB once. Watching CL and various forums are the best indicator of current market price. I also have a rule that I wont negotiate price without first seeing a bike as price negotiations in person seem to be more effective.

TravelinLight

Observer
I live in CO, so prime time as well as area for riding. I also do not want to negotiate until I am there and see / ride the bike. I just don't want to waste their time or mine for that matter.

The issue I see is these bikes have been on for several weeks, ( from when I have been looking) no idea if it was longer than that.

One was a solid 700 over, another was 600 which is a pretty wide spread in my mind from asking to actual. For a 2007 or even earlier bike I would lean toward close to Blue Book.

Thanks for the insight.

ih8philly

Adventurer
I live in CO, so prime time as well as area for riding. I also do not want to negotiate until I am there and see / ride the bike. I just don't want to waste their time or mine for that matter.

The issue I see is these bikes have been on for several weeks, ( from when I have been looking) no idea if it was longer than that.

One was a solid 700 over, another was 600 which is a pretty wide spread in my mind from asking to actual. For a 2007 or even earlier bike I would lean toward close to Blue Book.

Thanks for the insight.

On one of the bikes I bought, I emailed the guy and told him I didn't want to negotiate via email but I wasn't going to get anywhere near his asking price. That worked ok in that instance. Some sellers may not be as ok with that. Persistence and the ability to act fast have always been the biggest help for me.

Cody1771

Explorer
There is a good article floating around advrider called "How Kijjiji Killed the used bike market" which talks about due to the ease of advertising and the massive audiances you can get your add to online for free has really driven up the prices, you would think they would go down but what has been happening is as soon as one person sees someone listing a bike to high then it quickly becomes the norm. its funny to see a price difference of only $1000 for bikes that are 10 years apart in age, KLR's are the worst for that.

TravelinLight

Observer
Yes always seems to be a huge difference between asking price and sold price. It would explain why they sit on CL for so long.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
It's all about whether somebody is ready to sell. You just have to shop around and make it clear that you are ready to buy if the price is right. I bought an almost new bike this past weekend, and I can attest that being able to pay with hundred dollar bills really enhances your ability to negotiate. People have a hard time walking away from cash.

I ended up buying from a dealer 60 miles away because nobody local was willing to go off book value. I had told them if they brought the bike to my house and it was as described I would pay them cash on the spot. It worked out for all of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94