quick revised/updated crank bolt question

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm trying to tell if mine is the old or new style, when looking up from under the engine I can just barely see the head of the bolt sticking out but can't get a finger in there to feel around, so does this sound like the old or new style bolt?

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Even if you can't see them, you should be able to feel the bolts and tell right away if they are the obsolete bolts or not.

These are obsolete.

2696450413d71326ff00m.jpg

You should looking for the updated bolt below on the right.

1.jpg

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

TheMole

Adventurer
I had this dilemma when I first bought the car. It took a few tires, but there was just enough space for my smartphone to snap a photo of the crankbolt from the top of the engine. Pretty easy to tell once you get a pic.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I had this dilemma when I first bought the car. It took a few tires, but there was just enough space for my smartphone to snap a photo of the crankbolt from the top of the engine. Pretty easy to tell once you get a pic.

Good idea, I will do this in the morning if it's not raining.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Well, I decided to just run out and take a few pictures because I didn't feel like waiting, it's clear as day the old style.

Attachments

• WP_002389.jpg
    WP_002389.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 37

dorifto-san

Creeper
I would definitely replace yours asap. I just had mine loosen up and cause my pulley to come off. It's cheap insurance to swap it out now.

kbahus

Adventurer
I have the old one too. Can I get away with only pulling the fan and swapping the bolts or will the pulley try to fall off once the bolt is removed? I am not familiar with Mitsubishi's ways, I know with my Toyotas it would then take a puller to get the pulley off so I could get away with making this job quite easy.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have the old one too. Can I get away with only pulling the fan and swapping the bolts or will the pulley try to fall off once the bolt is removed? I am not familiar with Mitsubishi's ways, I know with my Toyotas it would then take a puller to get the pulley off so I could get away with making this job quite easy.

On most vehicles you need a puller for the pulley to even get them off so you should be just fine.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I would try relieve the belt tension to swap the bolt and washer. You may need to remove the fan shroud, but not the pulley.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Just a quick reminder. There are two different part numbers for the latest revised bolt. The picture below is specific to Gen I.

3.jpg

This following image is a comparison between Gen I bolt and Gen II bolt. The Gen II bolt is 10mm longer.

attachment.php

originally posted by phl on the 4x4wire
Jay - I think the bolt in the photos 1100A022 is the 3.0L part number.... 1100A141 is the 3.5l/3.8l
Thanks phl, I completely forgot about this until you reminded me about tha last week.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
This following image is a comparison between Gen I bolt and Gen II bolt. The Gen II bolt is 10mm longer.

attachment.php

Thanks plh,

To be clear, the photo above is the 3.0L bolt vs. the 3.5L/3.8L bolt. The 3.0L can be found in both Gen 1 (I) and Gen 2 (II) Monteros.

plh

Explorer
Here is a photo of the 3.0L pulley (harmonic balancer) - mine, note the difference of the keyway slot in the 3.0L vs. the roll pin hole in the 3.5L pulley in Jay's photo.

IMG_20150117_170454.jpg

kbahus

Adventurer
Just to make sure I am reading the part numbers correct, a Gen3 3.8l requires one 1100A141 bolt and one MR994412 washer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles