quick revised/updated crank bolt question

d*rock

Yeah, I don’t claim to be an expert. The engine they were working was a newer Mitsubishi V6, and I had assumed it would be the same or very similar process. I’ll try to find the video and link to it. It seemed to be a snippet of a professional training video.

d*rock

Yeah, I don’t claim to be an expert. The engine they were working was a newer Mitsubishi V6, and I had assumed it would be the same or very similar process. I’ll try to find the video and link to it. It seemed to be a snippet of a professional training video.
It's an 2007 Outlander 3.0l V6 Mivec 24V (6V31). Here's the video: . My Montero SR has the older Gen-2 3.0l V6 (Mivec?) 24V (6G72).

airbox

Can’t believe my first post will be this: I had seen a video on YouTube on a timing belt replacement that suggested (and showed) to stamp a dimple in the top of the bolt every time it’s removed and reinstalled. They suggest it should only be removed and reinstalled 3 times—the dimples indicated the number of times.

Anyways, loving this forum! Been a huge help with my research. Just purchased my first used Montero—1998 SR 3.0 with 64K miles. I know what you’re thinking, but it’s a Puerto Rico/Guam spec Montero so it’s an oddball and doesn’t have all of the features and options as a US spec. I like to think it’s unique, and it certainly is here in the mainland when you compare it to the US spec ‘98 Montero. :)

I had one of those ('98 SR) when I was stationed in San Juan. Took me a while to figure out it was a 3.0L and was pretty bummed when I found out but loved it all the same.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
One suggestion.... DO NOT PUT JB WELD IN YOUR THREADS.... don't be that guy. Ok, one more... use the factory specified washer as well, not a thinner one. I honestly can't believe I read that.

Catch it before the bolt breaks first and for most, but if you dont, they sell a time sert kit to drill and and tap to take a factory bolt into your crank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles