Quick Shelves for Camp Kitchen

Rivers2run

Observer
You can also do something similar with wire no bracket needed. Just hang them the secret is getting the proper angle and using a clasp to hold it. You can hang them from roof racks. IMG_20180417_114531.jpg

MattJ

Adventurer
You can also do something similar with wire no bracket needed. Just hang them the secret is getting the proper angle and using a clasp to hold it. You can hang them from roof racks.

That looks good! I actually started with the "hanging shelf" configuration before switching to the rails.

y4mGYmAi2FwNMn0G4kuFukiEpII4-bwx8TuYvllAXWPkgqeOt7bmgYFfb0AJDW6MmFuKa9BJwmvoEyZ32CoD78ue6BwQihfOzLZg2zPJVCW1IhWuBPfRfRZ5UMvIJmfmkaExqAkR_VPdm7cHt9jmYhRemwHCvZA3LHzO0pDYodRLNoVYtT392AsDe063OYuq0JWKIARpzjRRL9Sa5yGe74KRw

I was really hoping I could figure out a way to mount the shelves with some sort of vertical supports that would simply wedge in between the rungs on my ladder. That would be a super-quick no-bolt installation. But I decided it would be a lot of work to build the supports and bend them to the perfect angle so that they would wedge into the ladder properly. Jeff Scherb posted a picture of a table that attaches to the rear wheel - I was thinking a modified version of those components might work with my ladder.

y4mJ87Ypt2VE46k-ZsWkRnLtTasdnM4YL0xil1fFceuL6MmRA67cHPvghv9Th_qLqx3861J1mMv31Lxa54iD8xI5NNtSvHfnrqJJfBZ0Vj86d52zBsmhIbgAlocpIWUHQiB_aoMQBPcfRRCySWAbO5kyq1zYSrhqH2W-I3bcnxzZFnu9rSLZ6RO1wKbyBbkH_nhZoLrMaKgFGH5Du4X7QU2Ew

MattJ

Adventurer
Where’d you get them with the rubber bumbers?

Hmmm. I think I just found them when I was rummaging around at Home Depot. I spend hours there looking for various gadgets and parts for projects. Sorry I can't remember the details. But you could certainly fabricate bumpers for the shelf supports from just about anything. The important trick is to mount the canopy so that the vertical supports for the shelves have a moderate amount of pressure where they rest against the side panel of the Jeep.

HAFICON

Adventurer
very creative... I have a Gobi with rear rack I love it, but the side ladders look a little more useful on this rack.

OregonJKU

Here's a photo of the shelves in action. Field test went well. Am very happy with this design!

y4mpv_CDjtmsSAbgcSFziY1ckOG-bbpe7H7gb5WJ1Od782eYOecFRABQCANUBhtU5eFTwO0MD93ujC5K27kL5Vit602yOBAJ99xZssxFtfchnJiaoGmFNom-mfgAug5BYu2hajlDRkLHaz7jNSD2sS59MRBagi_7qW8X6E5t-4W5wHWmKrBB5a5wc0lGRGdavvWabrniEZmEA0n6JbQo0I4FA
Hi Matt, that is really nice! We may look into putting one on our Jeep, especially since we have some leftover shelving just like the ones you used. Thanks for the wonderful idea.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I often find interesting ideas in the two UK Land Rover magazines I subscribe to. Here's another way quick shelves for a camp kitchen could be done.

DefenderTable_zpsrmldddv5.jpg

This photo is in the December issue of Land Rover Monthly in an article about a Defender converted to a mobile coffee shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier