R50 Pathy 3.5 question: What is this red wire?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Filling up my tank (for the 2nd time) yesterday morning I checked the oil. While I was trying to put the dipstick back in I came across what seems to be a wire sort of flopping loose in the engine compartment near the dipstick. Any idea what it goes to? Looks like the forward end attaches to a green connector - some kind of sensor or something on the front of the engine?
I'm thinking this must be part of the emissions control system?
The wire in question is the red one.
What worries me is the way it's hanging or flopping around. Seems to me it ought to be clipped in somewhere but I can't figure out where. Any ideas?
2016-10-13 16.09.20.JPG
2016-10-13 16.09.54.JPG
2016-10-13 16.10.44.JPG
2016-10-13 16.10.47.JPG

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Also wondering if I should zip - tie it to the black hose so it doesn't flop around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The wire belongs to drivers side downstream oxygen sensor
Thanks, that makes sense. So is it supposed to be hanging down like that? I'm concerned it will end up touching some hot part of the engine and damage the wire, causing the engine to throw a CEL. Am I right in thinking that there should be some kind of clip holding this in place?

TowndawgR50

Observer
No, it should be secured. Looks like it was at one point. Those little black plastic pieces on the wire are the clips that secure it. If they arent broken try and use those. The mounting points should be close by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior