Rack for RTT

6gun

I'm hoping to find an off the shelf rack for my Ford Ranger that will work with my Leer camper top that doesn't look like an erector set. Planning on the Smittybilt XL tent. Would love to be able to slide my camper on and off without disturbing the rack for other projects. So far all I have found that work with toppers are racks that have tall sides. Trying to keep the whole setup as close to the camper top as possible. Hope I've made sense with my rambling.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I'm not sure in regards to your Ranger, however I have never seen an "off the shelf" type rack that fits over/around a topper that fits properly (or at least looks right ) in my view.

I had the same issue withy Colorado and a fiberglass topper, I actually switched over to a Softtopper and had a rack made to my specifications.

6gun

I'm afraid a custom rack is in my future. I already have enough expenses for this trip. Trying to reasonably minimize adding more.

RangeDrive

Observer
Custom made around my cap for my smittybilt rtt
View attachment 465787
Your truck is awesome! I really am shooting for a very similar build. Mine is a standard cab so I'll be a little shorter and a little less room in the cab.
Could I possibly trouble you to ask for detailed close ups of any important details?

Did you ever get pictures? I’m interested in having something like this fabricated for my Tacoma

Livnxxl

I'm not sure in regards to your Ranger, however I have never seen an "off the shelf" type rack that fits over/around a topper that fits properly (or at least looks right ) in my view.

I had the same issue withy Colorado and a fiberglass topper, I actually switched over to a Softtopper and had a rack made to my specifications.

I have a fiberglass topper on a Ram 1500. I had a frame built within the topper made of 2 inch square aluminum tubing. The frame rest on the truck bed edges and then the topper sits on top. I then have Yakima tracks/rails with 3 Yakima cross bars. I use a tepui Gran Savanah and its been over 3 years with no issues. I will try and get some pictures to follow up what I am stating. My truck is my Daily and that is also the reason I could not go with an external frame as I can remove the bars when not in use. With the bars off I just make it into my parking lot at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne