Radios

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking to educate myself or at least gain a better understanding of all the radio options out there. This has been brought upon by the increased mentioning of 2M radios.

I am very familiar with VHF and Single Side Band. A little familiar with CB and the only thing I know about HAM is that you need to take a test!

I have a Radio Shack CB in my truck and I have two antennae mounts for it, one up front and one back. I usually use the mount in back and have an antennae that is about 3 feet long with nothing special about it that I can tell.

My reception ranges from muffled to clear depending on distance but I have also been in situations with another vehicle 100 feet away and had a hard time hearing them consistently. Could this be an antennae issue? What are the benefits to different types of antennas? Note that on radio checks I have been told that I can be heard very clearly when within a mile or so but sound a bit staticky when further away. Maybe we can do an official test at the Trophy!

Also

What is a 2M radio, what are the benefits, most common uses and what is required to use one?

Thanks
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_20160819_170302050.jpg
    IMG_20160819_170302050.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 0

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
good question about the hams I want to know more as well. I'm sure we will be enlightened soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_00000113.jpg
    IMG_00000113.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_00000116.jpg
    IMG_00000116.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_00000119.jpg
    IMG_00000119.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1266.jpg
    IMG_1266.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 0

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
mcvickoffroad said:
....I have a Radio Shack CB in my truck and I have two antennae mounts for it, one up front and one back. I usually use the mount in back and have an antennae that is about 3 feet long with nothing special about it that I can tell.

My reception ranges from muffled to clear depending on distance but I have also been in situations with another vehicle 100 feet away and had a hard time hearing them consistently. Could this be an antennae issue? What are the benefits to different types of antennas? Note that on radio checks I have been told that I can be heard very clearly when within a mile or so but sound a bit staticky when further away. Maybe we can do an official test at the Trophy!

Thanks
Brian

Brian-
The bigest issue with CB's is that the antenna(s) are not plug and play. Each radio and its antena must be tested with a SWR meter no matter what. This is most likely you issue, not knowing too much about your set up.

Firestik has a great FAQ section and Data base of info... I am sure you can hunt down your issue there. http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

Hope that helps a bit... and I do not know anything about the 2m radios either.

Wil

Attachments

• Wagoneer highway upside down 2 FB.jpg
    Wagoneer highway upside down 2 FB.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 1

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I'm not near as versed in HAM as others here, but I'll take a stab.

I've always been fascinated by short wave radio, as a kid I used to read about it, dreaming about talking to people in other countries through my radio. I sort of forgot about that as I got older and always thought I'd do it someday. After hanging out with some of the other hams here, I opted to go for it.

There are two main levels of license you can get from the FCC. I strongly suggest anyone actually get the license first, there are some serious safety issues with these powerful little radios and every operator should know them.

The first level license is the technician license. This level gives you access to transmit above 50.0 MHz.

The next level is the general license. This gives you the above, plus HF frequencies. You need to pass a morse code exam as well as a written.

To give you an idea of the many frequencies out there, here is a chart of how the electromagnetic spectrum is broken down by radio frequency:Chart in .pdf.

The bands are commonly broken down by wavelength, like 2 meter. The 2 meter wavelength band comprises the frequencies between 144 and 148 MHz. The 2 Meter is the most popular band in the US known for repeater and packet operation.

Most 2M radios can work line-of-sight up to 50 miles, add a repeater to it and it will go much farther. Here in NM we have a repeater network statewide, I often hear stations in Las Cruces talking to stations in Albuquerque.

There is also long distance communication possible with 2m radios. Under the right conditions with the right atmospheric bounce, communications of 1000 miles or more are possible. Right now the 11-year sun spot cycle is not very
optimal for this, but soon. This is the main reason I got into this. I plan to talk to folks all over America, Mexico, and maybe Central America once the conditions are right, all from my truck. I know some local hams that talked to the international space station on their 2m during the last cycle. That's cool as hell.

So anyway, I'm all over the place with this, sorry, it's such a broad topic. I suggest you get the book called Now You're Talking It covers everything and will get you into your technician license no problem. I have a lot to learn, but this stuff is so fascinating that it will keep your attention.

dieck

Adventurer
mcvickoffroad said:
I'm looking to educate myself or at least gain a better understanding of all the radio options out there. This has been brought upon by the increased mentioning of 2M radios.

I am very familiar with VHF and Single Side Band. A little familiar with CB and the only thing I know about HAM is that you need to take a test!

I have a Radio Shack CB in my truck and I have two antennae mounts for it, one up front and one back. I usually use the mount in back and have an antennae that is about 3 feet long with nothing special about it that I can tell.

Also

What is a 2M radio, what are the benefits, most common uses and what is required to use one?

Thanks
Brian

I'm a ham.. It's usually antenna tuning and placement. Best place is square in the middle of your roof with a through the roof connector. Roof acts like a base reflect the waves back up into the antenna if coming at an odd angle. Also (obviously gives you the most height and clearest line of sight in all directions. Your truck is kind of a big metal reflector so waves bounce off of it in all directions. Cleanest up top.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
If you want to learn the basics of HAM, I would suggest this site: eHam

I'm studying right now for the basic test here in Canada - it's a bit tougher than the US version as it's 100 questions and a min 70% pass. I'm about 1/2 done the study book and I did a sample test last night - scored 64% so I think I'm on my way :victory:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Ham Radio and such...

This thread over at TTORA will either fill your brain to capacity or blow it out: Ham Radio 101
This link I have not read through yet, but seems to have helpful info: CB Radio Basics

HTH....
Ed :D

GeoRoss

Adventurer
A slight hijak: I am really ignorant about radio communications. I understand the basic physics of AM/FM, etc. but nothing about the practical/equipment side.

I have frequently used CB radios for caravan communications. They tended to be low end and finicky. I am interested these 2M/HAM radios. One observation is that in the 4WD community, CB's dominate. You can communicate with more people. However, a 2M/HAM would suit my needs better.

A CB radio would allow communication with more people, whereas a 2M would be a better choice for me out in the boonies. Are there radios that can utilize both bands? I would rather spend a little bit more for one than to buy two different units. I don't want my cruiser looking like the communications center in Air Force 1, though it would look cool.

I want to purchase a unit prior to the 11/11 get together, but want to buy smart and not just get something I'm in a rush. I suspect that no animal like this exists and I don't have a license for the 2M yet either. What think you gurus of communication?

Ross

pangaea

Adventurer
GeoRoss said:
I have frequently used CB radios for caravan communications. They tended to be low end and finicky. I am interested these 2M/HAM radios. One observation is that in the 4WD community, CB's dominate. You can communicate with more people. However, a 2M/HAM would suit my needs better.

Similar situation to where I'm at as well... I'm a HUGE believer that 2M/HAM radios are a far better alternative, but I feel like I'd be the token four wheeler in CO with a HAM radio (thereby rendering it completely useless).

I do believe they make combination radios like that (including FRS capability, IIRC), but I'd really like to get a gear recommendation from those with more experience in this department.

Looking anxiously at my copy of "Now You're Talking"...

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I was on a quest for a CB & VHF/UHF in one a while back... While you could modify certain radios to do it, there aren't any models that are commercialy available in North America. The ones that you could modify are quite expensive and suffer from performance issues as the bands for CB are far appart from the most used 2M/VHF range.

Pete

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
pangaea said:
Similar situation to where I'm at as well... I'm a HUGE believer that 2M/HAM radios are a far better alternative, but I feel like I'd be the token four wheeler in CO with a HAM radio (thereby rendering it completely useless).

I know exactly what you are talking about. HOWEVER, what you need to do is get together with some of your favorite trip partners, and discuss the merits of the 2M radio with them. All it takes is 2 or 3 of you to decide to go through with the switch, and get the radios and the licenses. Once that happens, the two of you (or 3 or 4 depending on how many the intital group is) will be talking on 2M radio out on a trip and wondering why you never did it sooner. You can still leave the CB on, and communicate with others who don't have 2M, but word will spread quickly about the 2M's... people will lean into the window of your Rover and listen to you talking to your buddy FAR AWAY, clear as a bell... and that will make a strong impression. Before you know it, a couple more from the regular traveling group will be getting the 2M radios and enjoying talking with the other 2M guys while still *monitoring* the CB channel. Pretty soon, all of the good conversations will be happening on 2M (it's more enjoyable to talk on the radio when you can actually communicate effectively). After that it becomes a situation where the 2M is the hot setup and those who don't have it on trail runs and trips are the ones missing out. A sort of *peer pressure* settles in and the new friends and people joining the group won't take long to realize that they are the odd-man out. And from then on, your CB's will start to be left with the power turned OFF, since everyone on your trip is talking on VHF. When that happens, it's a VERY HAPPY thing. No more static, no more lost communications, and no more "aaaawwwwdio!" being screamed at you from the idiot in Texas with the 5,000 watt transmitter or wherever the heLL he is... LOL!

How do I know this? Because I helped to do it with the friends I know, and it worked.

:victory:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I second what Baja said. Nothing like spreading the group out 10 or 15 miles and still having crystal clear communications from the front to the back. Also very helpful when someone is running late. A few years ago I was in Death Valley with a group of friends. One of the guys was running late one morning. The main group went in and had breakfast, then went up to Darwin Falls. after returning to our trucks, we called the late group, who were just getting to breakfast (family with kids, takes time sometimes). So we went on exploring, when the family was ready to join us, we talked them through all the twists and turns until they caught up with the rest of us. Very cool that they could take the time they needed, and the rest of us didn't have to wait around for them.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
I too am totally ignorant. Id like to be able to talk home when out running around. The kids would get a kick outta being able to chat over the radio with me. HAM capable of this I presume.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Colorado Ron said:
I too am totally ignorant. Id like to be able to talk home when out running around. The kids would get a kick outta being able to chat over the radio with me. HAM capable of this I presume.

There is still a lot that I need to learn. At this point, my experience is limited to using a repeater once on a trip (I need to practice more!) and the rest has been all simplex (no repeater).

But, I think there are potentially a few ways you could do this. All of them would likely depend on the use of repeater stations if you are not within range to talk on "simplex" (radio-to-radio) with your kids at home. Many repeaters are linked, so if you can transmit to a repeater within range of your radio, it will link to another repeater, and kind of "daisy chain" your transmission to a repeater that your kids could receive from, and you could talk that way.

Another option would be to use a repeater that is capable of telephone communication, whereby if your radio is capable of encoding and decoding voice transmissions into digital data, as you talk into your mic, your voice goes through the repeater as digitial data, and is then decoded and broadcast through a telephone - so your kids could talk to you via the phone.

You can also set up your radio to work with a laptop computer and send/recieve email if you can access a repeater station that is set up for it.

For some introductory commentary on HAM radio and 4wd use, check out Stu Olsen's page on his Jeep website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier