Raise the Roof!

theytookmyname

So I do not have an overland vehicle, I drive a hatchback and own a 80's coupe project car.

However my girlfriend owns a 2005 4Runner and I am in love and have always wanted a 4x4 to round out my car collection (I am 21 so none of them are nice really but I like cars so I like to buy and work on them.)

I am looking at the LX470 because I don't mind the V8, I like the 100 series platform and luxuries and they are cheaper than the mirrored 100 LC's.

My question is, how hard would it be to just raise the roof? I like the idea of sleeping inside the vehicle, not a pop top because I don't like the idea of not being able to really use it in an urban environment as well as the fact that the only things between you and an individual might just be some fabric. I would like to maximize storage space and raising the roof would allow deeper pockets for things as well as maintaining head room. Cutting the roof would be necessary however, which I wouldn't mind, I don't like to resell things, I just make sure I buy the right thing first. The only problem would be, how high would the bed get if I wanted to raise it because I would probably want the rear windows to have storage pockets but hardshell covers for the windows would not be a bad idea either. Security is a big deal for me as I have left my car in some sketch places bone empty for a couple days while I did some solo hikes.

Roof being raised would allow for the in vehicle camping as well as same headroom plus more storage. Weight wise I would ideally just want maybe a roof solar panel on it, which could easily be mounted I would imagine, with some minor structural strengthening if necessary. Maximum weight down low is ideal though, top heavy is scary especially for me coming from driving cars that are less than 5'9" tall.

Edit: The main reason being for this is if I live in this or do a expedition for a couple months, I want to have climbing/hiking/and actual camping gear with me. I am pretty lightweight about that but if I go somewhere, it's not going to be for the photos and the fire cooked food.

Is this a bad idea?

From your experience is doing this a PITA?

Would I be able to mount a solar panel of moderate size to the aftermarket roof? What would it need to be made of? I would imagine fiberglass to be strong enough due to no extreme weight being put on it, but what if I hit something/it hits me. Would Aluminum be too heavy?

Thanks for reading, especially since you got this far knowing I don't even have a vehicle yet. :/

If you can find a fiberglass van topper at a junk yard it might be possible.... I've always thought it would be interesting to cut the top on some kind of SUV (Or even a Chevy Suburban) and graft on a FlipPac!

SixLug

Explorer
Having owned a 100 series, I think you will be disappointed in the amount of interior room for something like this. Doing a high roof on something isn't a bad idea ( though a lot of work), I just think for what you are talking about, the 100 might be smallish.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Having tried to exist (can't call it living) in a number of different types of vehicles while camping (from station wagons to full sized vans through various pickup truck bed options), I fear that you will be disappointed unless you get to at least the Volkswagen bus/camper/small RV type of vehicle... I find it easier and more enjoyable to just setup a quick & easy dome tent on the ground but everyone is different...(most vehicles will not go where I prefer to camp).

Others will give different experiences but solar panels are mountable to vehicles; 'though I rarely use them to recharge the tent battery (shade at cool shady campsites mean they have to be dismounted and placed in the sun then moved when the shade reaches them. (the 35 amp hour tent battery hold enough charge for LED lights and stereo (+USB charging) for 4-5 days or more and can be recharged from a running vehicle if I go anywhere).

... I would just get a good dome tent and use the forerunner to carry the goods and to get there.
...Others find that roof top tents are an option but I, personally, would rather stay on the ground...

enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles