RAM 2500 5.7: known issues?

pith helmet

I’m looking for a very used but dependable farm truck. Found a clean ‘04 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi, 200,000 miles. By all appearances it has been taken care of, haven’t had a chance to ask for or see any service records.
I have looked online and see some but wondering who here has any personal experience or knowledge. Thanks.

rcintx

Adventurer
I am running a '14 1500 4x4 with the 5.7. I have had it since new and currently sitting at 150k miles. The only issues I have ran into was the brake booster had to be replaced around 75k miles, but fine since. I have also developed quite the "hemi tick" and will be looking to get that repaired in the very near future. Other wise it runs and rides great. I have no plans to get rid of it in the near future.

pith helmet

I am running a '14 1500 4x4 with the 5.7. I have had it since new and currently sitting at 150k miles. The only issues I have ran into was the brake booster had to be replaced around 75k miles, but fine since. I have also developed quite the "hemi tick" and will be looking to get that repaired in the very near future. Other wise it runs and rides great. I have no plans to get rid of it in the near future.
Thanks. I was talking just with a friend who recently had to replace the motor in his '13 for that reason. He also has an '07 and says that the lifter issue seems to be less of a problem pre-2009. Have not looked for further info on that yet.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Have a 2008 1500 crew cab 4WD with 5.7 and 5 speed automatic transmission.

Runs good, gits 12-16 MPG empty. 8-10 MPG pulling. 3.73 rear. 175K miles. Uses a quart of oil every 1500 miles. Brakes, tires, oil, filters, wipers the basic maintenance stuff. No leaks, drips or errors. Only repair was the fan motor assembly under the hood for the A/C condenser. Nice truck with no rust and never any damage or paintwork.

My wife's truck. She is the second lady owner of this truck. We purchased 8 years ago from her lady friend the original owner with 145K. 30K miles in 8 years. Not driven very much but she had to have it as part of her fleet!

Attachments

• 20210103_141404.jpg
    20210103_141404.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18

rcintx

Adventurer
Thanks. I was talking just with a friend who recently had to replace the motor in his '13 for that reason. He also has an '07 and says that the lifter issue seems to be less of a problem pre-2009. Have not looked for further info on that yet.

Yikes. I am hoping for an exhaust manifold repair and not a replacement. Maybe I ought to dig in sooner rather than later.

rcintx

Adventurer
hopefully thats all it is. this is pretty informative about all the tick issues.

Great video. After watching I spent a few minutes digging around under the hood. He was spot on with the exhaust manifolds being broken. I can move the heat shield at least 1/2". Mechanic is going to put if on the lift Monday morning to confirm.

Back on topic. Its a great truck. I would recommend them. I hope to put a few more years and miles on mine and pass it down to my son when he is old enough.

pith helmet

Great video. After watching I spent a few minutes digging around under the hood. He was spot on with the exhaust manifolds being broken. I can move the heat shield at least 1/2". Mechanic is going to put if on the lift Monday morning to confirm.

Back on topic. Its a great truck. I would recommend them. I hope to put a few more years and miles on mine and pass it down to my son when he is old enough.
that's good news. i now know what to look for and identify noises when i go drive it. sometimes the internet isn't all bad. ?‍♂️

Slocral46

Happy hunting. Had a 5.7 for 6 years but it was a low mileage truck. If you are going to pull heavy farm trailers like I did It's not ideal. Ok for occasional short hauls. If you can find a older GM truck with 6.0 it's a better engine, regularly reaching 300K miles.

pith helmet

Thanks. That’s 90% of the work; heavy farm trailers within 50 miles, not daily or even weekly most of the year.
I’m also looking at an 85 Chevy C30 with a 350. I hada 76 and an 87 with the Detroit diesel. Pretty tough trucks.

Happy hunting. Had a 5.7 for 6 years but it was a low mileage truck. If you are going to pull heavy farm trailers like I did It's not ideal. Ok for occasional short hauls. If you can find a older GM truck with 6.0 it's a better engine, regularly reaching 300K miles.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Ford (2006+) V10 or 6.2L gassers are fairly bomb proof. Hemi seem to be hit an miss. Older GM V8s are solid. Stay away from high tech for low tech work. :)

Slocral46

Thanks. That’s 90% of the work; heavy farm trailers within 50 miles, not daily or even weekly most of the year.
I’m also looking at an 85 Chevy C30 with a 350. I hada 76 and an 87 with the Detroit diesel. Pretty tough trucks.
Sorry my computer has been down. The C30 is a tough truck. I had a 75 K20 with a 350 that I worked pretty hard for many years. It's hard to beat a 350 for reliability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior