Ram 2500 gasoline extended gas tank help

Oilbrnr

I’m a tad confused reading all this..

if a transferflow tank is offered in diesel, it works with gas. That’s about all I know.

if they don’t offer a tank, I got nothing
What are you confused about? Maybe if you read the first post by the OP then you wouldn't be confused?

But none the less, thanks for the fun facts.

At this point, I think that the only under bed options are the Brown Davis or a custom fab'd unit like it. The Titan spare tire offering looks real problematic, heck even the BD might be though it is tapered for departure. Still, 30 gallons is a big tank. I can carry 15 on the rear swing, but that is the worst spot to add weight unfortunately.

Last edited:

nater

Adventurer
Im hoping to hear back from brown davis tomorrow... I think they are the best option for an off the shelf solution right now.

Oilbrnr

Clay at XO talks about the Brown Davis tank in his Prospector starting at ~12:00 in:
There are some pretty good shots of it underneath, and looking at how it is multi-tapered to the rear, it does look promising.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Clay at XO talks about the Brown Davis tank in his Prospector starting at ~12:00 in:
There are some pretty good shots of it underneath, and looking at how it is multi-tapered to the rear, it does look promising.

Needs a good skidplate still. That is one stump away from a bad day.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Range is a legit concern with these big new gassers.

My 6.2 supeduty came with a 32 gallon tank, and rolling loaded with the camper just didnt give me the range I was willing to live with.
Larger "direct fit" tanks hang WAY too low, and cost a small fortune.

My solution was a second tank, mounted within the custom bed I built, giving me a total of 47 gallons.
Complete with its own fuel pump, fuel filler, and manual selector that controls flow from transfer (aux tank to main),
hose (acts as a fuel station to fuel generator or moto) or OFF
I have a switch in the cab to control the pump as well as a fuel gauge for the aux tank.
We routinely use it as a transfer tank, and do it while moving.
Typically run the main tank down to 1/2, then transfer from aux to main.

The tank is a 15 gallon Jeep CJ tank, with CJ fuel sender, tipover valve, and the breather is tied to the OEM vapor recovery system.
5k miles later, no CEL or errors. The CJ tank was the most square plastic tank i could find, and was very cheap.
Pump is a very inexpensive solid state pump, rated at 3-5 GPM as I recall.

Pics to follow, it is located between the wheel wells, right above the diff.

47209781712_81fb81a635_b.jpg

48165002071_5cf9f012da_b.jpg

48515866166_05ab8c22b3_b.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm looking at adding an OEM Ford Excursion 44 gallon tank ( and oem skidplate ) behind the axle in my new F350 project.
That would give me just over 80 gallons in combination with the 38 gallon factory tank.
Other than having to replace the factory X-member that holds up the spare tire, it looks fairly straight forward honestly.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I looked into that as well, but didnt want to loose the factory spare location, or have the spare ride any lower.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I looked into that as well, but didnt want to loose the factory spare location, or have the spare ride any lower.

That is the trade off, I will probably be running a 37+ tire on the new truck. On my old dodge I ended up mounting the spare upright, behind the driver, along the bed rail, in front of the wheel tub, slightly tilted to the inside. This let me run a 39" tire inside the camper shell space without it really getting in the way much or hampering visibility.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Not a lot of USA crossover options, but I did find this when researching options....

WILDPEAK

Reviving this great thread. 2017 Power Wagon here, tired of messing around with fuel storage solutions on bumpers and in the bed... the range is dismal once you go big on tires and load it down... My experience on 37-38" tires and 5.13 gears with AEV ProCal is not terrible on the highway, 13-14mpg; but off-road for extended periods of time (and in 4lo) is another story. My Tacoma adventure partners sip fuel while I chug...

I sent Transfer Flow a note, will keep everyone posted. It looks like there's about 12+ inches of space in front of the OE tank; my guess is a carefully engineered 40-50gal tank would fit...

WILDPEAK

even a 38 gallon tank would help.

It would be interesting to find a "hack" solution using a larger OE tank from another platform such as RAM 1500 / 2500 but I would need to research capacity and dimensions carefully. I agree if I could find a 37-38 gal option, I would consider a budget solution. The aftermarket 40-50gal or aux tank transfer options are likely going to be $1500+...

I saw on the Power Wagon facebook group that Long Range America might be working on something (as of early 2020).

As popular as these RAM Platforms are becoming for expedition style travel in NA and AU, I imagine and hope there will be some better aftermarket support in a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz