Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Ravenmad

Observer
I may upgrade the arms, If I do I will most likely replace them with new factory Power wagon arms and a power wagon front sway bar with a modified version of the air actuated disconnect mech. Either way I am going to sell the truck, just gotta make it correct first, I can't stand the thought of selling the truck without it being correct first.

Adventurous

Explorer
Well, it has been a point of contention at the local dealership. For the time being we were able to rotate the drivers side tube back into alignment with the housing, remove the plug welds and re-weld. We then welded the tube to the center casting and re installed the factory front sway bar. I now have to return the truck to the dealership for the recall on the tie rod, drag link and passenger side knuckle assemblies. Waiting on a truss for the front housing and alignment (again). Hopefully we can get it all done in time for Overland Expo West this month. I am absolutely sure that once I have the front fixed and recall work done I will be selling the truck. It has been a great truck, but now I have a very bitter taste in my mouth per say concerning it.

Side note on the continental MPT 81s. A little birdy told me that the tires being sold by Expedition Imports are in fact "Factory Blems", this explains the difficulty with these tires and the reduced cost over msrp. We also upped our tire pressure to 56psi and added centramatic wheel balancers. I still like the tires, I just have to rotate the tires until I find a set for the front that don't pull to the left or right.

I can understand how frustrating it must be dealing with an issue like this, but unless there are other factors leading to this decision it seems a bit hasty to get rid of it. You've put a ton of work into that rig, and once the front axle is fixed up (and you get new radius arms) that seems like it would address the weaknesses.

Sorry to throw my 2 cents in if it's not welcome, id just hate to see you throwaway all of that hard work and come to regret it later.

Explorerinil

Observer
I can understand how frustrating it must be dealing with an issue like this, but unless there are other factors leading to this decision it seems a bit hasty to get rid of it. You've put a ton of work into that rig, and once the front axle is fixed up (and you get new radius arms) that seems like it would address the weaknesses.

Sorry to throw my 2 cents in if it's not welcome, id just hate to see you throwaway all of that hard work and come to regret it later.
Yes I agree, I’ve gotten pissed at my projects but I keep the long term in focus. I got rid of my 06 mega cab when I got fed up with something minor... the next owner told me hies driven if 200k since he bought it from me at 100k and has had no problems.

Ravenmad

Observer
Interesting conversation with Dave from AEV 2 days ago. There I was, strolling into my favorite Dealership in Salt Lake City and wallllaaaaa. There sits a bunch of AEV vehicles, Dave and a few other guys from AEV. Turns out, they broke several front axle housings this week ( plug welds and rotated short side axle tube ) on RAM trucks to include a power wagon and he said 3 other guys did the same thing this week in Moab......

I told him how chrysler basically told me to pound sand .......... It was an interesting conversation, filled with WThells and we will see about this crap.

I forgot to say, chryslers tech. reason for denying the warranty claim was "the front axle has an ARB which puts an additional load on the axle housing beyond it design parameters and I installed AEV bracketed which constitutes a highly modified front axle assembly" lol, explain the power wagon then? owwwww, they break also....

Dalko43

Explorer
Interesting conversation with Dave from AEV 2 days ago. There I was, strolling into my favorite Dealership in Salt Lake City and wallllaaaaa. There sits a bunch of AEV vehicles, Dave and a few other guys from AEV. Turns out, they broke several front axle housings this week ( plug welds and rotated short side axle tube ) on RAM trucks to include a power wagon and he said 3 other guys did the same thing this week in Moab......

I told him how chrysler basically told me to pound sand .......... It was an interesting conversation, filled with WThells and we will see about this crap.

I forgot to say, chryslers tech. reason for denying the warranty claim was "the front axle has an ARB which puts an additional load on the axle housing beyond it design parameters and I installed AEV bracketed which constitutes a highly modified front axle assembly" lol, explain the power wagon then? owwwww, they break also....

This is exactly why I still have concerns with Ram trucks. For as good and capable as they are, I can't help but think that FCA is still cheaping out on certain components which will break and leave you up S%^t creek at some point in the future.

The number and nature of recalls as of late (steering component, water pump) doesn't inspire much confidence either.

Explorerinil

Observer
This is exactly why I still have concerns with Ram trucks. For as good and capable as they are, I can't help but think that FCA is still cheaping out on certain components which will break and leave you up S%^t creek at some point in the future.

The number and nature of recalls as of late (steering component, water pump) doesn't inspire much confidence either.
I see your point and agree to a point, as far as recalls, I have had far fewer recalls on my ram truck then the 18 f150 sitting in the driveway. Recalls are not brand specific, the 4 total on my truck are not major issues for me, other than the steering one, I feel ram took the cheap route and developed a piss poor drag link and a horrible fix.

Explorerinil

Observer

Everything I read this seams to only happen to people running the AEV suspension kit. Have you seen anyone with a stock ram or any type of lift other than AEV that pushes the axle forward have these issue?

silvrzuki77

explorer
Has Thuren or Carli have issues? Thuren seems pretty open to talk about problems and what not?

Guess when I ditch the van I will truss and get arms for mine regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenmad

Observer
I see your point and agree to a point, as far as recalls, I have had far fewer recalls on my ram truck then the 18 f150 sitting in the driveway. Recalls are not brand specific, the 4 total on my truck are not major issues for me, other than the steering one, I feel ram took the cheap route and developed a piss poor drag link and a horrible fix.
Everything I read this seams to only happen to people running the AEV suspension kit. Have you seen anyone with a stock ram or any type of lift other than AEV that pushes the axle forward have these issue?

Its not just the AEV trucks though, I have seen 2 stock power wagons have the same issue as well as 1 stock ram 3500 were the owner remover the front sway bar and was running 35s. The issue is torsional load on the axle housing and crappy plug welds. No question, RAM also has an issue with steering linkage recalls, but generally I have had not a single issue outside of the front axle housing.

Ravenmad

Observer
Has Thuren or Carli have issues? Thuren seems pretty open to talk about problems and what not?

Guess when I ditch the van I will truss and get arms for mine regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about Carli or thuren. Pretty much the best way to help prevent this issue is TIG weld the axle tubes to the castings and truss it, however, no one sells the truss by itself. The stock radius arms with rubber bushings are more forgiving than the aftermarket radius arms that utilize solid 1.25" rod ends.

Dalko43

Explorer

In my mind, the recalls for the water pump and Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) pin are big deals as well. FCA takes its sweet time to address some of these issues and these issues do indicate that the company is willing to cut corners on the initial R&D for these trucks. I see a lot of the same stuff with FCA's other 4x4's; the Jeep, even the new JL, is notorious for having components break, windshields crack, water leaks. For as much as FCA prides itself on being able to manufacture traditional, hardcore 4x4's, I just don't see them putting enough emphasis into reliability testing. And I'm not saying Ford is much better by comparison. To make things even worse, the FCA dealer network, for whatever reason, has a reputation for being very uncooperative with owners working through warranty claims.

I don't like it, because otherwise the Ram trucks with the Cummins and Hemi engines have the potential to be very capable and well-rounded trucks...but reliability issues like these dissuade a lot of potential customers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online