Ram 5500 is here

zb39

Adventurer
They don't like anything without a regular pick up bed on it. They insured my dump truck for 11 years. I said why are you insuring my dump truck and you won't insure my 5500?

There response, you have a dump truck? One week later I get a letter, no more dump truck. I am not a contractor, etc. It's just for me. I'm in my 4th decade with them. I have noticed a sharp decrease in service over the last 10 years and an increase in premiums. None of my Air Force friends use them anymore. I'm the last and I am on my way out.
I switched all of my cars to State Farm, the house too. I got rid of there credit card. Fidelity's is twice as good. All that is left is my ELOC on the house. That is getting changed also. 6 months after that I can get my subscribers savings account, 17k in there. They were good for a lot of years, not anymore. They made some changes about 10 years ago and it hurt them badly.

zb39

Adventurer
Got my Buckstop bumper and winch on. Talk about solid steel, this baby is strong. I didn't have time to get the 4 lights installed. 2 driving and 2 wide angle fog lights.

Darwin

Explorer
What is the length of the camper? Any particular reason you didn't go with a 84" cab to axle? It seems like the extra length of the bed and axle would be a great help. Does the front end feel light with all the weight back?

zb39

Adventurer
11.5 feet. I actually ordered a 84 inch cab to axle. But 60 inch is what showed up. After giving me a few thousand more off I took it and LOVE IT. Front end is rock solid.
All my tanks are up front in the camper so there is more weight on the front axle with the camper loaded. Drives like a dream. I went 280 miles empty this am, got 12.2 at 76mph. There are zero issues hauling my camper with this truck. I have added some weight with the batteries and 4k inverter. ZERO problems. Truck is stock.

Darwin

Explorer
Thanks for getting back with me. I keep going back and forth between ordering a 60" or 84" in cab and chassis Ram. It would be on a regular two door cab so my non engineer mind thinks that the shorter length cab might also help to keep some of the weight more forward. I would like an 11.5 or 12 foot camper composite cab over box, not sure on weight but cant imagine it over 4,500 lbs fully loaded weight.

zb39

Adventurer
What do you want your over all length to be? Or is that not a huge deal. For my wife and I this rig is very small because we are used to a 45ft DP. My over all length is nothing for me. I can fit this rig anywhere.

Jo_Duval

Observer
11.5 feet. I actually ordered a 84 inch cab to axle. But 60 inch is what showed up. After giving me a few thousand more off I took it and LOVE IT. Front end is rock solid.
All my tanks are up front in the camper so there is more weight on the front axle with the camper loaded. Drives like a dream. I went 280 miles empty this am, got 12.2 at 76mph. There are zero issues hauling my camper with this truck. I have added some weight with the batteries and 4k inverter. ZERO problems. Truck is stock.

That’s certainly good to hear, I was also very scared that a camper that long would be rear heavy and that the front end would be super light and bouncy.

I’m planning a building an 11’ camper, I wanted the longer wheelbase for weight distribution and ride comfort but if weight is not an issue and the front is well loaded then maybe shorter turning radius will win a few points t.b.d.
Thanks

cmonroe24

So the Fastguns hook right into the rubrails on the flatbed? Is it a stock CM bed? Super cool rig, thanks for all the pics. I've got a Lance 1172 on a 6.4 3500, w/o airbags rear suspension pretty overwhelmed. Aching to trade for a 5500. Also, you're happy w/ the diesel? I like the Hemi but have never owned a diesel.

Last edited:

zb39

Adventurer
Yes, fastguns hook to rub rails. ROCK solid. Bed is stock except DZ boxes I put on. I LOVE the diesel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have owned 7 cummins and have never had an issue even into high milage. Your going to love the exhaust brake as much as you will love the power.

zb39

Adventurer
Ordered a 2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2 door yesterday. This will be flat towed behind the camper. V6, manual 6 spd, hard top, cold weather package, tow package, LED lights, 8.4 radio with nav, passive safety group. Already ordering accs for it. Dual batteries, Rockhard bumper with winch(also set up for flat towing) ARB fridge and compressor.
Heading to overland expo in a few weeks. Also have reservations for Easter Jeep Safari in the spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles