Ram Roof Racks

panteragstk

Hey all, first post and I have a question that's been a bit difficult to answer.

I have a 2007 Ram QCLB and am looking for a roof rack that will hopefully be able to hold a rooftop tent and other gear if the tent isn't needed.

I'm not having an easy time finding one specific to my vehicle.

Smittybilt looks to have a universal rack that will work, but I'm not even sure if my roof can accommodate a rack, much less one with a tent on top.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Laps

Go to etrailer.com and navigate to roof racks. They carry a very large selection with lots of installation tips and reviews.

panteragstk

Are you wanting a rack over your cab, your bed, or both? As far as I know, most pickup bed rack are generic.

Specifically for the roof. I've found some generic ones that should work, but I'd like to know if a tent is possible on my roof or will I be limited to just the bad rack tent.

GBGCR4x4

I'm assuming yours is a bare roof isn't it? There are generic racks that an work and carry a tent. I'd first measure the length of the cab's roof, to determine what platform rack you can get. Probably you can get something like a Front Runner Slimline, which can drill onto the roof, to have a higher load rating. But you'd need to make soem measurements. FRO does have generic racks. Ask the guys from Off Road Tents, they sell quite a few brands of roof racks.

panteragstk

I'm assuming yours is a bare roof isn't it? There are generic racks that an work and carry a tent. I'd first measure the length of the cab's roof, to determine what platform rack you can get. Probably you can get something like a Front Runner Slimline, which can drill onto the roof, to have a higher load rating. But you'd need to make soem measurements. FRO does have generic racks. Ask the guys from Off Road Tents, they sell quite a few brands of roof racks.

Yes, bare roof so it looks like there aren't all that many mounting systems. I'll check out those guys and see what they say.

Cummins_Powered

I have a 2007 Ram 2500 and in my research, I found a fair amount of info suggesting the roof is not well suited to a rack. Some of the generic racks that clamp onto the door openings are really the only option and I was NOT comfortable putting a tent up on those. Found some old threads on various forums where guys had roof flex issues. In the end, i went with a Yakima HD rack over the bed. I decided that was the most stable/strong option. I also thought about something custom that would be essentially the front end of a ladder rack, but I dont know how much weight the overhanding portion over the cab would support. Hope that helps

CFMGarage

While I have a newer RAM, I have to agree with @Cummins_Powered. I've spoken to the RAM bodybuilder group and they also say that the roof is not designed to support those types of loads.

There are people that put lots of weight on a roof rack over the cab on these RAMs, including huge spare tires, but I would not want to be in an accident near that vehicle. The best racks are mounted with just a few rivets through thin gauge metal.

There are lots of vehicles that can come from the factory with a roof rack. I think that is the indicator as to whether they planned for you to put anything up there at all.

You can spend a little more money and get a beefy ladder rack that extends over the cab.

Piranha

Observer
I have been looking at Prinsu and UPTOP Overland.
I have also questioned mounting a rack to these trucks. I have not really considered a ladder rack that extends over the cab...but I suppose if built properly it would be fine for a couple pelican cases or the like.

What about contact with the cab in twisty situations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne