Ram + Tufport T76. A tiny home build?

Mski88

20211012_092158[1157].jpg

I recently purchased a brand new Tufport T76 and am planning to full time out of it for the foreseeable future. Its another quality Canadian made marine style fiberglass cap and I hope to keep this thread as informative as possible as I progress with my build.

20211012_090706[1193].jpg

Tufport is a family owned company. Its smaller but definitely has a lot of experience in the space and have been around for several decades. When I first visited them 2 years ago they gave me a full factory tour and I ended up spending several hours exchanging ideas with them.

Previous to this I travelled out of a mid rise Leer 180 for months at a time so this is quite the step up for me. I have been researching and interested in Tufports for the past few years. I also looked at the other fiberglass cap manufactures but ultimately decided on the T76. For options I added the sidewall reinforcing, Maxxair fan and the front sliding glass window.

Some key factors on why I went with them include the willingness and ability to customize lengths which was important for my short 5 1/2 foot bed. The weight; we read 664lbs on the scale. There were some wooden blocks on the scale for the forklift... so perhaps minus 10-15lbs. At approximately 650lbs for a hard side stand up I strongly feel its a good platform to start with. I also didn't want side windows and as little holes and intrusions into the cap as possible.

20211012_090812[1163].jpg

20211012_091846[1170].jpg

Other factors for going with the Tufport is that they have many options that can compliment a full time or part time overland build and turn around isn't a 2-3 year wait. They are frame mounted as opposed to bed mounted. The heavy duty brackets are optional and used on their medical units for certification purposes. They allow for added strength in off camber situations. I like that the top portion/attic or nose didn't take up to much room over the cab and add unusable space for me. For a solo traveler and at 5'6 I fit perfectly in the top nose of the cap without unnecessary extra room.

20211012_090855[1166].jpg

20211012_090922[1167].jpg

Again family owned, responsive, you speak directly with them, no departments to jump hoops through. Installation is included at the factory and super friendly techs. Price was important and if you happen to have accumulated components over the years, perhaps have extra insulation and aluminum laying around like me and are even a little handy this is definitely a route to consider. Since Tufport specializes in medical units certain parts are overbuilt. These parts are shared with the non-medical units such as the heavy duty doors, hardware and seals.

20211012_091418[1161].jpg

20211012_091314[1168].jpg

20211012_091236[1165].jpg

20211012_091253[1160].jpg

Installation was about 3 hours. We ran a "hybrid" setup using 2 heavy duty brackets towards the rear and two smaller brackets towards the front due to the limited space on the ram short bed frame rails.

Driving from British Columbia to Ontario for my interior build out I had no dust intrusion. Which was a pet peeve of mine with the Leer canopy setup.

I will update this thread as I progress, cheers! Mariusz

john61ct

Adventurer
Excellent report thanks, the unit looks great!

Is overall length the only customisable dimension?

Any option for full width, flatbed or cab/chassis mount?

Mski88

Cool project. Do you plan to add insulation in your buildout? What heater do you think you'll go with?

I'm leaning towards 3m SM600L thinsulate for the walls (partly because I have a brand new roll already :D) and add additional foam for the floor and ceiling. I was contemplating using some other mounting techniques for the insulation on the walls. Utilizing the framework on the inside and some m6 threaded insert nuts with larger thermal transfer free washers that can hold in the insulation. I can also use the threaded insert nuts to mount other components. Since the unit is small instead of cladding the walls I was thinking of using a webbing style system over parts of the insulation. Therefore I could mount lighter expo style bags keep the weight down. All this is still in the beginning stages and may change. Still debating between an external diesel heater or tapping into my existing gas tank.

Last edited:

Mski88

Excellent report thanks, the unit looks great!

Is overall length the only customisable dimension?

Any option for full width, flatbed or cab/chassis mount?

I know they have various molds I even seen units without the upper nose portion you could possibly mount to a flatbed and have extra storage boxes on the sides, keep that center of gravity down and still have a stand up + hard side enclosed fiberglass unit. Although the main alteration currently would be length. I don't think they will offer full width or a chassis mount unless they get flooded with interest haha. That would be awesome.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looks like BC plates... and a NICE rig/camper setup taking shape there. I really like that shell, and at 650# ish you have LOTS of room to add and customize. Having the short bed is a challenge, and makes finding a perfect fit slide in difficult. I made my own, but wish I had come across something like this! Is that a 1500 only? Looks like from the headlights and grille etc. Burly looking lift and tire setup...my stock 1500 Sport looks like a slammed mini truck on bags compared to that. heh

Stalking...er following this build!

Mski88

Looks like BC plates... and a NICE rig/camper setup taking shape there. I really like that shell, and at 650# ish you have LOTS of room to add and customize. Having the short bed is a challenge, and makes finding a perfect fit slide in difficult. I made my own, but wish I had come across something like this! Is that a 1500 only? Looks like from the headlights and grille etc. Burly looking lift and tire setup...my stock 1500 Sport looks like a slammed mini truck on bags compared to that. heh

Stalking...er following this build!

Yup BC plates. Its actually only leveled 2"...the front bumper may give the illusion its higher. It also isn't complete I have the sides and skid plate for it. Also may appear a little higher due to the 34" tall BFGK02s. The 1500 is super capable just have to realize its limitations. Now that I learned we share certain rear end parts with the Jeep Gladiator it makes for a fun project. I like your setup actually can't believe its home built I'm stealing a few ideas...good-luck finishing it up! :)

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Yup BC plates. Its actually only leveled 2"...the front bumper may give the illusion its higher. It also isn't complete I have the sides and skid plate for it. Also may appear a little higher due to the 34" tall BFGK02s. The 1500 is super capable just have to realize its limitations. Now that I learned we share certain rear end parts with the Jeep Gladiator it makes for a fun project. I like your setup actually can't believe its home built I'm stealing a few ideas...good-luck finishing it up! :)
Man, I need to get on here more often... your reply was in October and I am just reading it now. heh

Thanks for your kind words. It is probably the most stalled project in the history of camper builds. Started strong, ran into a ton of life complications and then sort of let it sit. I am really like 98% done. All I need to do is to attach the canvas and finish up a few interior bits (like re-think my sink yet again). Oh and replace the battery that has had the biscuit now... probably a Lithium unit this time.

Anyhow, cool project and nice truck. I love my 1500 Ram... and since lifting it and popping on a set of 35" Toyo, it feels like it can go nearly anywhere now. Would love to check out your rig when it is done. BC Overland Rally is calling me this year, need to get my camper done ASAP! heh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke