Ram with canopy

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
Matt thanks for posting up with such a detailed response. So pleased you found this thread and chimed in. I didn't get a chance to visit expo this year but was blown away when I saw that someone was finally brining the canopies to the US market.
With you teaming up with Patriot, you guys are ahead of the game offering these over here.
I look forward to seeing the PCOR line when it hits your website.

Are they specific to one vehicle or can they be adapted to other vehicles?

Thanks

Thanks for the post! We'll be getting all of the PCOR Gear added to the site shortly. The trays are actually CAD designed to the vehicle. So for now, we've got the 6'4 Ram, and we've got the Tundra Crew Max. There WILL be additional models coming soon, to encompass both full-size and mid-size platforms. The canopies are a "universal" product. There are two widths on the 3/4 canopies, and we'll also be offering two different models of half canopies for those that want to keep more open bed space. All of the production models are planned to come with complete wiring harnesses for vehicle integration, etc. Additionally, the plan is to make the canopies a bit easier to remove from the truck, and all trays will come with fold-up/fold-down sides and rear for cargo storage, amongst a few other features. It's gonna be BIG!

HayStax

Looks good, although a little tall and heavy. What is the weight on the Tundra version and how does it handle? How is the egress with the pop up tent? I’m gonna build and Expo Raptor and am very intrigued by the Australian canopy system. I will be anxious to see your offerings and pricing. Thanks!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Do you really think that a truck with a stock bed has more storage capacity and lower COG? Look where the fuel and water is stored. Look where the spare tire is. Look at the underutilized space in the bed.

Nuthouse does make the best bed rack though and this setup would be less than half the cost of the PCOR setup

This exact unit will be going in my PW in three weeks. I did my research and IMHO the Nuthouse Industries setup is the best overall when considering COG, usable space, price, country of origin, customization, etc.

While I think the PCOR unit is outstanding, I don't think it provides anywhere near twice the utility for twice the price. Just like the PCOR, my truck will have propane tanks, spare tire storage, fuel tanks, maxtrax place holder, exterior locking storage bins, 16gal water tank with pump and sink, ARB fridge/freezer, cook station with Partner Stove, storage boxes under the deck, it's own electrical system and house battery, auxiliary lighting, RTT, awning, etc.

Dalko43

Explorer
Do you really think that a truck with a stock bed has more storage capacity and lower COG? Look where the fuel and water is stored. Look where the spare tire is. Look at the underutilized space in the bed.

Nuthouse does make the best bed rack though and this setup would be less than half the cost of the PCOR setup

Actually, yes I do think that. The actual storage platform on a regular bed sits lower versus what you have with an Aussie-style tray. There is plenty of storage space in that bed for heavy items, like fuel and water. There is so much space in fact, that I'd see little need to put a roof rack over the cab as was done with the PCOR truck.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an awesome build and certainly looks very cool. But the cost of a PCOR tray on a full-sized or 3/4 ton pickup is going to be tough for most owners to justify when they already have a whole lot of flexibility and storage space with the bed that comes standard (at no cost) on their truck.

ttengineer

Adventurer
It’s sexy as hell to me that the locks are keyed to your fob. It’s little details like that that make a big difference.

I wonder if one of the titan xxl tanks will fit once you loose the bed. Currently titan says they can not make an xxl for a CCSB ram and only offer the spare tire tank.

Also, will the kitchen slide out be offered separately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taz223

It’s sexy as hell to me that the locks are keyed to your fob. It’s little details like that that make a big difference.

I wonder if one of the titan xxl tanks will fit once you loose the bed. Currently titan says they can not make an xxl for a CCSB ram and only offer the spare tire tank.

Agreed on the keyless. thats a HUGE feature in my opinion too. Fuel tank wise, I've had the same thoughts. I think the issue for the Titans on the SB trucks is the DEF tank, or at least part of the issue. When we did the PCOR part of the build, we were planning on putting in a Titan spare tire tank, but there was nowhere near enough clearance for it with the rear winch mount. We also had to change from the OEM receiver to an aftermarket to get clearance for the winch tray. Brown Davis, another Australian company, is supposed to be in the process of preparing a set of extended range tanks for the Ram 2500 CCSB, it'll still be two independent tanks but around 70 gallon capacity between the two. Can't wait to get my hands on them and get them in the truck!

The kitchen slide will be offered separately at some point in the future. It will be a complete assembly with stove, sink basin, etc.

ttengineer

Adventurer

Agreed on the keyless. thats a HUGE feature in my opinion too. Fuel tank wise, I've had the same thoughts. I think the issue for the Titans on the SB trucks is the DEF tank, or at least part of the issue. When we did the PCOR part of the build, we were planning on putting in a Titan spare tire tank, but there was nowhere near enough clearance for it with the rear winch mount. We also had to change from the OEM receiver to an aftermarket to get clearance for the winch tray. Brown Davis, another Australian company, is supposed to be in the process of preparing a set of extended range tanks for the Ram 2500 CCSB, it'll still be two independent tanks but around 70 gallon capacity between the two. Can't wait to get my hands on them and get them in the truck!

The kitchen slide will be offered separately at some point in the future. It will be a complete assembly with stove, sink basin, etc.

I have not spoken to Titan but I also hypothesized that the DEF tank was to blame.

Would the spare tire tank work if one did not use the rear winch?

Twin tanks! That's great to read. Any info or insight on the company that you can share?

Excited to hear that the kitchen slide will be offered separately in the future. It appears to be a well designed product from photos and videos, obviously speculation, but I imagine it's held to the same standards as the trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingsize24

I have not spoken to Titan but I also hypothesized that the DEF tank was to blame.

Twin tanks! That's great to read. Any info or insight on the company that you can share?

Excited to hear that the kitchen slide will be offered separately in the future. It appears to be a well designed product from photos and videos, obviously speculation, but I imagine it's held to the same standards as the trailers.

Remove the DEF tank and a pre 2013 4th gen tank fits just fine.

ttengineer

Adventurer

Nice catch. I didn't think of that. Once I delete, that will be the route I go. Thanks!

Last edited:

taz223

That was my thoughts as well.

Since we're on the topic of deletes, I'm 100% on board with deleting the DEF system, IF, I can find an exhaust that is quiet. I have zero interest in the truck being any louder than it is, zero interest in rolling coal, etc. The problem here locally is that everyone who has deleted a 4th Gen here are kids/hillbillies who want the loudest, smoke-blowingest truck possible, so nothing to compare it to. I'm assuming you've deleted one, what exhaust/tuner setup did you go with?

taz223

If you didn't go with the rear winch, then the Titan spare tire tank would work without any issues at all. By pure guesstimation, its about 2" too long to work with the rear winch mount (due to the round shape).

Clutch

<---Pass
Actually, yes I do think that. The actual storage platform on a regular bed sits lower versus what you have with an Aussie-style tray. There is plenty of storage space in that bed for heavy items, like fuel and water. There is so much space in fact, that I'd see little need to put a roof rack over the cab as was done with the PCOR truck.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an awesome build and certainly looks very cool. But the cost of a PCOR tray on a full-sized or 3/4 ton pickup is going to be tough for most owners to justify when they already have a whole lot of flexibility and storage space with the bed that comes standard (at no cost) on their truck.

Yeah, is a little convenience worth the extra cost? To most that would probably be a no.

If you're a cheap SOB like me...think the trick is, to find a truck that already has flatbed, and get an ARE canopy for it.

Found this for sub $34K.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/719360064/overview/

b693bed15bc3cfbf6fe59e6884e8f698.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
@Clutch I've looked on ARE's website and I haven't found any canopies which fit those tray beds. Where are you finding them?

Believe you have to order through UTE BED.

Or may have to do the old fashion thing and call them, just because it isn't listed on the website doesn't mean they can't build you one.

Could also give Tradesman a call, they'll build you anything you want.

http://tradesmantrucktops.com/

I am not much of a RTT fan...for the effort still think a popup camper is a better way to go. By the time you purchase the canopy and the RTT...might as well get a shell popup built by someone like ATC. RTT system you have to live on the outside, popup camper you live on the inside. Getting out of the weather can be worth its' weight in gold. Like the weather we are getting now in my area....beautiful in the morning afternoon...and getting wicked thunderstorms late afternoon and evening. I don't know about the rest of you guys rather be inside during that kind of weather. Kiss those awnings good by when the wind picks up.

Member on here had this built for $8000, and the flatbed was $3400.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/utility-bed-and-slide-in-camper.192396/#post-2466707

TruckCamper-coast.jpg

Last edited:

Kingsize24

That was my thoughts as well.

Since we're on the topic of deletes, I'm 100% on board with deleting the DEF system, IF, I can find an exhaust that is quiet. I have zero interest in the truck being any louder than it is, zero interest in rolling coal, etc. The problem here locally is that everyone who has deleted a 4th Gen here are kids/hillbillies who want the loudest, smoke-blowingest truck possible, so nothing to compare it to. I'm assuming you've deleted one, what exhaust/tuner setup did you go with?

Buy a 4" straight pipe kit, then buy a 30" FTE resonator and a 51 inch Donaldson muffler. Chop/cut as necessary to fit. HPP EZ Lynk. Problem resolved. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz