RamboLance Build 92 Ford e350 7.3L ambulance build Wheeled Coach

User1

Loooong time lurker/reader/dreamer finally bought my first ambulance. I started eyeballing these well-built machines long ago, but never pulled the trigger. Until now....

She's not clean or purdy, but she is mine ! I think it's a 92 Wheeled Coach with 34K miles. Was a rural ambulance for a small town in New Mexico and was retired for age awhile back, but had too few miles to junk, so they stripped it and used as emergency equip hauler. Obviously, with less than 2000 miles/year over 20 years, she didn't see much action.

It would have been nice to get all the original gear with it, but them low miles were tough to resist. Then there is rust- it sure is nice to turn an old fastener and not have it permawelded in place. Rubber parts will be another story...

I know nothing about this beast other than the pics, would love to here more about it from those in the know-- I guessed wheeled coach based on the wheel opening :)

still gotta get it 1300 miles home, so it'll be an adventure for sure.

Attachments

• 6441_46_5.jpg
    6441_46_5.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 6441_46_9.jpg
    6441_46_9.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 6441_46_7.jpg
    6441_46_7.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 6441_46_4.jpg
    6441_46_4.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 6441_46_3.jpg
    6441_46_3.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 6441_46_1.jpg
    6441_46_1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 48

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Looks like a good starting point... The thick layer of dust reminds me ofr mine when I bought it.

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
Welcome to the madness. What town is it located in in NM? I'm in central NM, I'm happy to help facilitate if I can.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Nope, I'm 99% sure it's not a Wheeled Coach!

WC uses a proprietary recessed corner marker light, which I have never seen on any other brand of ambulance.

12829517_1105621366144435_3982693191549118917_o.jpg

I have never seen rear off-set doors on a WC either, but they do build custom rigs for customers, so it's possible.

Normally, there is a big sticker inside one of interior cabinet doors that has all of the testing and acceptance data, but it looks like most of yours are missing. You might check the driver's door jam also, for a sticker with the manufacturer's name.

Anyway, good luck with it and I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with the build!

User1

Homecoming

Thank you very kindly for the offer. I have not been back here in a few weeks due to other vehicular addictions, but she arrived today. I paid 1 1/2 times what I paid originally for her to ship her home...:Wow1:

ambutruckride.jpg

Still was still good deal( I hope). Zero rust. Funny thing, It cam from Bent, NM. Fewer than 200 residents. Has 33,500 miles on it, but those aren't 'ambulance' miles. Town coded-it out for age after dozen or so years and Otero County gutted it and used as pickup truck. They already took a huge hit on a very low mile vehicle, so they got some use out of it.

Put a pair of fresh batteries in and it started right up. big puff of diesel. No turbo, needs new glow plugs. I got a great deal on some Autolite glow plugs for the 7.3L!!! They were 50 cents/ea less than the Motorcraft ZD9... I kid, I kid. I know better.
Van + glow-plugs = poop.

Needs brakes, steering pump needs attention, hoses, seals and rubber dry out. Few dings, but strong 7.3L non-turbo, w E40D. No DEF.

Last edited:

User1

Wheeled Roach Coach

This is a fine example of a very rare wheeled coach.

Ok , maybe not fine, but example? Ok, it's got wheels. And probably not rare. But it's MINE !!!!:wings:

a-wheel-coach.jpg

User1

Going to pull the hood lights and design forced air induction? I would......

Just started reading your mods- wow. Nice work. I may 'borrow' some of your fine ideas. I opened the hood and saw that smushed intake and actually felt bad for it. She just want to BREATHE ! :costumed-smiley-007

User1

Genny

Oh, yeah. The Generator. I am willing to bet I have the biggest generator on the block.

It's only 10Kw. but it's the biggest....MEP003A Same auction, free ride. Is mungous because is continuous duty and under-rated by Uncle Sam. About 1500 lbs, is why ambu sags in pics.

No, it won't be in this rig. :ylsmoke:

gen1.jpg

gen2.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
OK I stand corrected, but that is absolutely the first Wheeled Coach I have ever seen that did not have the embedded propitiatory corner marker lights.

'Belafonte Reboot' on here has a 1992 Wheeled Coach also, and I have a 1993 model. Both have the embedded marker lights. Your ceiling profile is different than ours also.

My guess is that it must have been a special order or something.

Anyway, good luck with it! :)

User1

...Both have the embedded marker lights. Your ceiling profile is different than ours also.

My guess is that it must have been a special order or something.

Anyway, good luck with it! :)

I like those corner lights, I think that it's clever. Would be too much work to add now, though. You guys have some great looking rigs- you all set the bar high. I have a ways to go....

I am missing the Whelen controller pad, looks like the rest of it is there. here is connector if anybody knows model I need?

whelen.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
When you say "Whelen controller pad", what exactly are you referring to? Is that a picture of the wiring for the front switch panel, or inside the electrical panels in the rear? I need more pictures, including the switch panels, to really tell.

That Molex connector looks like the one for the electronic siren amplifier module, which is normally located in the rear electrical panel box.

Also, you should replace that orange wire nut (and any others) as soon a possible. Wire nuts are not approved for vehicle use as they can work loose due to vibration. This can result in high resistance or even arcing, which can cause a fire. Replace it with crimp connectors, solder and heat shrink, or a screw type terminal strip, etc.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd start with a Strandcore Relay to replace your GPR before tearing into it for glow plugs. I found one at DieselORings.com for a fair price.

I also bought plugs, but a new Relay solved the issue. The GPR was cracked an it appeared as if it hadn't functioned in a long time.

User1

Glow plug vid

Thanks for that tip- is much easier to swap relay. I was just going on what seller told me- have not even pulled engine cover yet...too many bigger fires !

This here is my personal favorite glow plug relay bypass video. Gets me every time.

[video]https://youtu.be/iDR_yhQj4aw?t=58[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles