Rancho RS9000XL shocks

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Looking for feddback on these. I need better shocks for the Dodge and like the adjustablity of these since I tow a trailer at times. Plus I would think that being adjustable , I could dial in a better ride .

Thoughts

Thanks,
Matt

jcbrandon

Explorer
I put Rancho adjustable shocks on my 2000 Dakota. Significant improvement over stock. I have seen guys crawl under their truck multiple times out on the trails to "tune for the conditions." I never did that. I spent a lot of time tweaking the shock adjustments right after I installed them. When I finally found a setting that I liked, I never adjusted them again.

I think of adjustable shocks like an adjustable seat: If you don't have it, something isn't quite right and you think about it all the time. When you do have it, you can get it exactly the way you like it. Then you can forget about it.

I had the 9000s installed on my '96 RAM 1500 4x4 a couple of months ago along with spacers in the front. So far so good, but there seems to be a little bit of a rattle when going over small bumps. Can't tell whether it's the shocks or not. 4WD Parts originally set front & back at setting 6, but I've since loosened them up to 5 front & 4 rear. Good luck with the shocks...

Richard

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I had the 9000s installed on my '96 RAM 1500 4x4 a couple of months ago along with spacers in the front. So far so good, but there seems to be a little bit of a rattle when going over small bumps. Can't tell whether it's the shocks or not. 4WD Parts originally set front & back at setting 6, but I've since loosened them up to 5 front & 4 rear. Good luck with the shocks...

Richard

Mighty Dodge, try retightening the nuts and bolts on them. I just had to tighten the lower bolt on the front passenger side yesterday.

So far I have found them for 317 shipped @ 4wheelonline. Hopefully the price doesn't jump between now and when I get my tax $$.
Living in California and waiting for them to pay me really sucks right now.

Guinness44

Adventurer
Was running Bilsteins for a long time (too long). Twice one leaked, the bushings chewed off, and they rode like buckboards.
Went to town and got the Rancho 9000 (the plan was just to get the 5s). Could not believe the great ride, much smoother on the rocky dirtrail to the house, ok around curves, no toothloss thrugh potholes. We set them at 5.
Ram is a 02 2500 quadcab, Cummins, 4by.

Maximus...thanks for the tip. I need to find the time to get under the truck and do some wrenching. It's those little rattles here and there that drive me nuts, but I guess I should lighten up...she has 193,000+ miles on her and still heading strong towards the big 200k.

Richard

Guinness...I agree, the ride is better over the Monroe Magnums I was previously running, although I think the Monroes had better roll control than the Ranchos. I'm running empty right now, hence the dialing down on the Ranchos. Once I get a sleeping platform, water tank, compressor, gear, etc. under the shell, I'll probably dial them up a bit. I also run air bags underneath...I've always felt that the Dodge 1/2 tons were a bit undersprung compared to others.

Looking forward to starting my build and picking up tips from others who have been there already. Since she's no longer my daily driver, I can afford to outfit her for mountain and desert exploration here in California.

Richard

bob91yj

Resident **************
I hate the Rancho's on my wife's LJ. Every time the terrain changes, slow rocky, hi speed washboard, pavement, I felt like the shocks needed to be adjusted.

They fade to nothing within 10 minutes of high speed washboard...OK, prerunning a desert race course for a Jeepspeed race. I also have them on an old 87 3/4 ton 'burb, less than impressed with them in that application.

I've been much happier with the Bilstein's on my 06 GMC Dmax.

Honestly, air bags are the answer for a tow rig/daily driver/occasional off road use, IMO.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I put a set of Pro Comp adjustables on my 2004 CTD and a set of RS9000 adjustables on one of my partners 2007 Mega cab, the results were excellent.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Have you considered the Rancho RSX shocks? I mounted a set on my '01 Dodge two years back and have been pretty happy with them. Much better than stock and better than the Rancho 5000s I had on my '97 Ram. My truck is also my work truck and is in continual hauling, towing mode and the RSXs are holding up well.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Have you considered the Rancho RSX shocks? I mounted a set on my '01 Dodge two years back and have been pretty happy with them. Much better than stock and better than the Rancho 5000s I had on my '97 Ram. My truck is also my work truck and is in continual hauling, towing mode and the RSXs are holding up well.

Nope..never really heard much about them, so just went and read a bit about them. Interesting. Self adjusting. and 100$ less for 4. But I kind of like the idea of being able to custom fit them for ride.
Has anyone else used the RSX shocks ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94