Range Rover Classic

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
I am really looking hard at a 94 and 95 SWB Classic's. Am I stupid what is the good and bad of these vehicles? Or should I just get a FJ62 and not deal with the headaches of a Rover.
Thank you for any insight you guy can provide.
Regards,

gjackson

FRGS
The RRC is one of the most capable off-roaders out of the box. If it's coil sprung and has CDL it is an excellent overland machine. Bit limited in space, but very comfortable and very capable. Air sprung add complications that may be best avoided. VC is okay for non-technical work, but CDL is better in a pinch.

Look for corrosion. Especially on the tailgate and frame. Also check engines carefully.

cheers

bovw

Explorer
I love my 91. Other than the rust issue I have it's great. You can get a LWB and convert from air suspension to coils and have the extra space.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
I've owned a FJ62 and still miss it to this day! In so saying that it can't hold a candle to the comforts of a RR Classic. If you can, go with the 95 as it has the updated dash (Discovery layout).

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
Thank you for the feed back. I am not to worried about space at this point, plus finding a LWB with good maintenance history is not an easy task. What is the MPG on these rigs?
Thank you all again.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
sacto_patrol said:
Thank you for the feed back. I am not to worried about space at this point, plus finding a LWB with good maintenance history is not an easy task. What is the MPG on these rigs?
Thank you all again.
How much are you looking to spend (you can PM me if you like) and when do you want to buy? If you get a LWB you will have PLENTY of room! I have 4 kids and a wife! I am amazed at how much we can fit in there! When the time comes, let me know and I will help look for you.

Also, are you wanting stock or some mods already added? (Hint: they are usually more expensive stock)

Scott Brady

Founder
Both will get poor mileage. 12-14 on a good day.

The Rover will perform better in the dirt out of the box (better clearance numbers and much better wheel travel) and have a much better road ride. In the Rover, 70 mph cruising is no issue either.

Both have a great look to them.

The Toyota will have the greatest durability and reliability, and better storage space too.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Andrew Walcker said:
I've owned a FJ62 and still miss it to this day!

Me too.

Don't know much about LR's other than what I read. While the FJ55 is commonly referred to as the Iron Pig, virtually the same could be said about the 62's. When the Mrs. drove it around town one day I excitedly asked her,

"Honey, what did ya think?"

she replied,

"By the time I get it up to speed after stopping at a red light, I have to stop at another!"

I think she loved the cargo/grocery room but it was not a great commuter. I loved it and MPG be damned, I will have another.

david despain

Adventurer
:safari-rig:
kcowyo said:
"Honey, what did ya think?"

she replied,

"By the time I get it up to speed after stopping at a red light, I have to stop at another!"

I think she loved the cargo/grocery room but it was not a great commuter. I loved it and MPG be damned, I will have another.

i think that can be said of most rovers as well!

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
Thanks for all the help everyone. I drove a '95 SWB this weekend and besides all the little no working electrical problems (not working sunroof, door locks, passenger window) it just didn't feel like the right vehicle. I love the look of the RRC just not the right vehicle for me.
Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
sacto_patrol said:
Thanks for all the help everyone. I drove a '95 SWB this weekend and besides all the little no working electrical problems (not working sunroof, door locks, passenger window) it just didn't feel like the right vehicle. I love the look of the RRC just not the right vehicle for me.
Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

Non-working electrical problems on a RRC???? I'm aghast!!!:)

Have you driven a 62 yet?

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
True, I wasn't worried about the electrical "issues". I would of dealt with them, just the vehicle didn't feel right.
Yes I have drove both FJ62's and 80's both of those vehicles had a sturdiness to them that the RRC honestly lacked. My it was the vehicle a drove, don't know.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
IMHO, you are driving some of the finest off road vehicles made available in the US market. I've owned a 62 and an 80 and you can't go wrong with either of these. Good luck with your decision and let us know how it turns out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier