Range Rover Evoque

discotdi

Adventurer
I have driven one and it is really nice. The cabin is very airy and large feeling. No blind spots just like all LR products. I actually prefer the cabin fit and feel on the Evoque over the Sport. I am 6'3" and fit fine front and back. The 2.0 engine is a Ford engine. Turbo charged. 0-60 in 7 seconds the same as the v8 375 hp sport and RR.
It is obviously not built for hard core off roading but good enough for what most will use it for. The Magneride suspension is awesome. It is the latest version not available on any other vehicle right now. The Audi R8 and Ferrari use an older version. Not bad for a $56k car compared to the Audi and Ferrari.
The way I look at it perhaps if this is a good seller LR can afford to bring back a Defender for the US market. Hopefully pretty true to the original not an FJ type pretender.:ylsmoke:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I'll be at Dimmitt LR in 2 weeks with 3 Evoques if you'd like to drive one.

Dimmitt is a bit out of the way, but if there is one coming to Colorado I would love to take a look. It seems like a very nice Colorado car for someone looking for something a little nicer and a little more capable than a Subaru or Audi.

discotdi

Adventurer
Check with the local dealers. LR is doing ride and drive training at all dealers. Maybe they have not done theirs yet. Evoque will be on sale 10/5. But will be in dealers late Sept.

AZBaobab

Observer
Top Gear's James May seemed fairly impressed with it when taking it through Death Valley (Season 17 Ep 3).

Then again, that crew isn't particularly difficult to impress when it comes to this sort of thing...

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I have driven one and it is really nice. The cabin is very airy and large feeling. No blind spots just like all LR products. I actually prefer the cabin fit and feel on the Evoque over the Sport. I am 6'3" and fit fine front and back. The 2.0 engine is a Ford engine. Turbo charged. 0-60 in 7 seconds the same as the v8 375 hp sport and RR.
It is obviously not built for hard core off roading but good enough for what most will use it for. The Magneride suspension is awesome. It is the latest version not available on any other vehicle right now. The Audi R8 and Ferrari use an older version. Not bad for a $56k car compared to the Audi and Ferrari.
The way I look at it perhaps if this is a good seller LR can afford to bring back a Defender for the US market. Hopefully pretty true to the original not an FJ type pretender.:ylsmoke:

Which dealership did you drive at?

I have trouble grasping the value of the "soft road" SUVs. Frankly if I want car-like ground clearance and car-like handling with the capability of AWD, I'll buy a Subaru or Audi for less money that will offer better MPG and performance. I'm convinced that most of these SUVs go to people that think wagons or hatchbacks make them look uncool but want the practicality.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Based on what I've seen, I think it's going to sell very well. I see the future of Rover as needing to be a major player in all aspects of "where the pavement ends" to include all weather capable vehicles for the small, medium and large markets. Not every rover needs to capable of MOAB. There is still an important market as mentioned that the likes of Subaru are in, where you need an everday vehicle that can still safely handle extreme climate and weather road conditions, and unpaved roads. The smaller platforms also well lend themselves to leading integration of the Rover hybrid and alternative fuels powertrains they are working on. The future is smaller, and if they don't get after it now, they won't survive. I think Land Rover/Range Rover needs to try and own the entire space between snow covered roads to game trails. And I think it's good to have a high end and utilitarian product set (e.g. Land Rover vs Range Rover). Toyota saw the same logic , didn't they? (ie Lexus?)

A good example not to follow is HUMMER. They were too late in this space.

Last edited:

discotdi

Adventurer
Drove it at LR Buckhead in Atlanta.
I can agree that the Subaru is cheaper but not an Audi. The Evoque will start at $43995. The Audi nor the Subaru have the capability of the Evoque. The fuel economy is also similar at 19/28. It has great engine as in the Ford 2.0 ecoboost. If only we could get the 2.0 liter turbo diesel like Europe. It is rated at over 50 mpg!

haven

Expedition Leader
A concept for the new Defender is scheduled to be shown at the Frankfurt Auto Show in a couple of weeks. The Defender replacement is scheduled to begin production in 2015.

It seems impossible that any new model could please fans of the old Defender, so I expect much rending of garments and gnashing of teeth when the concept is unveiled.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
A concept for the new Defender is scheduled to be shown at the Frankfurt Auto Show in a couple of weeks. The Defender replacement is scheduled to begin production in 2015.

It seems impossible that any new model could please fans of the old Defender, so I expect much rending of garments and gnashing of teeth when the concept is unveiled.

Just curious where you're getting this information?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles