Rath's Trailer build - We're done!!!

Rath

Hey all, new here, figured I would toss up some photos of my current project, a trailer build.

Purpose of this trailer will be to haul extra supplies for trips, and to have a secure place to have things stored at base camp while out during the day off on hikes/etc. I previously used just a small tent to store stuff at base camp, however after two years of that, replacing 3 tents from bears being curious I decided it was trailer time. This will also get stuff out of the bed of my truck, allowing me to have a larger sleeping platform for more comfort!

onto the pics.

First step was to grab an axle. This all started back in January, and I have purchased everything so far on sale (aside from the steel). Been a slow build up of parts but it's worth the savings in the end.

The axle is a 2k lbs 4 on 4 bolt pattern, which I swapped over to 5 on 4.5.

cx9wTbRh.jpg

YlXjSvGh.jpg

m3XGqldh.jpg

tossed on my summer 35's to make it a roller and grab measurements/make a mockup. Yes, the 35's make the axle look tiny lol. Final tire size will be 235/85r16 (31.7" tall)

YF4Lc2hh.jpg

Next step I tossed on the leaf springs and decided to make a mockup out of wood, to get a visual and measure things etc.

o1eXUdYh.jpg

seeing how tall I'd want it

8hc7H1Dh.jpg

final mockup made after making some changes to original plan for size.

WbTDeM9h.jpg

next up was time to order the steel and get it all cut up. Main bottom frame I decided 2x3 .125 would be perfect, way overkill for the 2k limit for this trailer, but also leaves me open to running 3500lb axle in the future if wanted.

For the corner uprights, I decided on 2" 3/16th angle and the side uprights 2" 3/16th flat. These will allow me to bolt the 1" deck boards that will run along the sides for plenty of support.

WcK3ES7h.jpg

Lk9MIQjh.jpg

Main frame steel was ordered last week, and was all cut to lengths last weekend.

gPwSrSdh.jpg

Main frame is 2x3 .125 perimiter with 2x2 .125 cross members on 17" centers.

IXZOlZgh.jpg

top frame is 1.5x1.5 .100

elF28klh.jpg

and I am doing a lid as well, 1x1 .100 with crossmembers as well as I plan to add a roof basket on here at some point.

XaynGBzh.jpg

all the lovely pieces cut up, waiting to be welded! hopefully get a good start on it this weekend.

V2tgdQih.jpg

Last edited:

Rath

Today we got the main frame all welded up. Had my brother do the welding. He's better at it than I, and as much as I would like to say I built this all myself, I know where to use help when it will benefit me. Not that my welds are bad, but better is better!

anyway, a couple of photos. (look at how much the snow has melted!)
a 5-ton box truck makes a handy flat area to weld in.

tUCpw0Mh.jpg

wKkVxEVh.jpg

BETdwtch.jpg

Now, after tacking the spring hangers in place, (going to move the rear one forward slightly, to give the shackle a bit more angle at the resting point) I noticed that the front hanger isn't very long vs the rear + shackle. leaving the leafs at an angle, thus putting an angle on the axle itself/spring perch. Is this an issue? I've seen quite a few online like this, but also quite a few where the front hanger is longer to make up for the shackle length, leaving the leafs "flatter" (eye to eye is level)

I don't see this being an issue how it is, but I also have no idea. any input would be appreciated. It's not a very severe angle as is, and will be less when the rear hanger is moved forward slightly, but just curious.

old_CWO

Shackle angle is relative to an imaginary straight line through the spring eyes, not to vertical. From the photo at least, I think with no weight on it you're about right. On the factory built trailers I have measured the hanger eye to eye dimension is usually around a half inch less than the spring eye to eye.

There's a lot of science/voodoo/theories/BS about shackle angle with off road truck guys. On a trailer I am skeptical there is much discernable difference outside of the extremes.

Rath

Wheels showed up on Thursday, still waiting for tires.

16x6 5x4.5 0mm offset.

Dv34pTNh.jpg

also got a bunch of small odds and ends that were on sale. Straps, buncha tie done anchor rings, 7 blade trailer end plug and vehicle end plug, and a stretchy cargo net I plan to use to hold things down in the trailer while transporting.

4aNpDfTh.jpg

Hoping to get some more welding done today, we'll see. We ended up getting snow storm so things are all covered in snow. I managed to cover the trailer with a tarp so it shouldn't be too bad to shovel around it and get back to work.

Rath

Alright, we got a lot done today! Can measure for wood now. Also welcome back, snow. ********.

Tossed the wheels on just for fun. will need probably an inch and a half spacers. waiting for tires to get true measurements before ordering spacers

9J5Ij2Hh.jpg

Then we got to welding. Top frame went in really nicely.

X3VEnmwh.jpg

and then slapped on the 2" x 3/16" flat bar along the sides and burned those in.

E40J0afh.jpg

Fp6HHXGh.jpg

vJOTD0Eh.jpg

bout as far as we got today. Only welding left now is the lid portion. Hopefully be able to order and get all the wood I need this coming week. Will probably have to wait for it to warm up to stain it though so progress is likely halted now for a while. unless we decided to do the lid tomorrow.

Rath

Welded on some old shelving angle pieces, this will give me something to bolt the wood to

ngeSo9Zh.jpg

flipped the trailer over and finished up the welding underneath as well

f79Gm5Gh.jpg

tossed some scrap wood in to get a lil visual. these are 8" wide, I'll be using 6" wide, however.

OEGgWiOh.jpg

Rath

got the Lid portion welded together today. Next up is the tongue, which I need to order material for.

y9jg70ah.jpg

oYRAyVoh.jpg

Cy7k51uh.jpg

Rath

ordered tires today, picked em up, and mounted them!

I didn't want to wait till next week for my brother in law to mount them at his work (tire shop) so I went to town with a 12" mini crowbar and got the job done in the shed. then tossed them on! still need balancing, obviously, but I wanted to get clearance measurements.

size are 235/85r16, wheels are 16x6 0 offset.

xQ0YwHth.jpg

RfWAgw8h.jpg

HDRYNBTh.jpg

bDFlQrBh.jpg

compared to a set of worn 33x12.5x15

ySCKKPzh.jpg

Rath

Alrighty, a bit of a decent update today! Wood was picked up this morning, tongue steel was picked up this afternoon. only material items I still need to get are fenders. which I may have an idea for.

onto the update. The wood! Managed to pick it up this morning, preordered on Tuesday night so that was pretty quick turn around considering all they do now is pick up orders.
got home around 3:30 PM and got to work measuring, cutting, ripping, fitting, and only messed up the measurement on one cut, but it ended up working out anyways.

I went with pressure treated deck boards, I will be lightly sanding them down and applying a "penetrating oil" stain to them. Onto the photos! the main reason anyone ever comes to a "build" thread.

XSzKOPWh.jpg

PzQf15sh.jpg

j8hzYnSh.jpg

86TXWM0h.jpg

UJ4mrYRh.jpg

umvPWRRh.jpg

Rath

more progress. Got all the holes drilled for the bolts. that was.... fun. 70 holes through 3/16" material. thats around 13" of material if my math is right.

wood is now back off the trailer, marked for positions, and in the shed drying out. tomorrow I will be sanding it very lightly in prep for the penetrating oil stain to be applied. depending on time, I may get the tongue welded in as well.

Had to lift it up, and prop it up to drill the floor holes. don't try this at home ********

pSQMv12h.jpg

and wood out, holes in

ziAUrMah.jpg

7UwVdpxh.jpg

iYn1WOHh.jpg

Rath

alrighty, main part of the tongue is on. still have to do the angle pieces coming off it. but we're getting there!

also sanded down all the wood today, likely stain tomorrow if the weather is nice enough.

D6f74dXh.jpg

baJiwBDh.jpg

VTTyIU5h.jpg

*im probably going to make the tongue slightly shorter*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz