re-gearing for 33"s on 1st gen

sovereign

Observer
Thanks, box rocket. I think you just convinced me to keep my gearing the same and see how it does with the 33's.

It really depends on where you live and if you can tolerate your engine lugging around in low rpms, which these engines do not like. Even with 5.29s, with an auto I am always clicking the button to disable OD, even on slight grades, or the tranny temps will climb.

Also, with 33s, 5.29s, and an auto, my truck is hitting the same rpms in OD as a stock manual truck in 5th with 31s. The OD on the auto trans is TALL.

Reactions: bkg

Box Rocket

It really depends on where you live and if you can tolerate your engine lugging around in low rpms, which these engines do not like. Even with 5.29s, with an auto I am always clicking the button to disable OD, even on slight grades, or the tranny temps will climb.

Also, with 33s, 5.29s, and an auto, my truck is hitting the same rpms in OD as a stock manual truck in 5th with 31s. The OD on the auto trans is TALL.
Where I live is not much different than where you live. Similar altitude with lots of canyon roads here in Utah. I turn off the OD a lot too, that's what it's for. If Toyota didn't want you to turn it off, they wouldn't have put the button there. No big deal.

Thanks, box rocket. I think you just convinced me to keep my gearing the same and see how it does with the 33's.

Like I said before, I'm not telling people NOT to regear. I'm just saying I don't think it needs to be at the top of your mod list, considering that you're easily $1500+ to regear.

Last edited:

sovereign

Observer
Where I live is not much different than where you live. Similar altitude with lots of canyon roads here in Utah. I turn off the OD a lot too, that's what it's for. If Toyota didn't want you to turn it off, they wouldn't have put the button there. No big deal.

Like I said before, I'm not telling people NOT to regear. I'm just saying I don't think it needs to be at the top of your mod list.

I cannot understand how you would not have found it to be absolutely necessary considering that you live in Utah. These autos just do not like to be lugged around in low rpms.

Box Rocket

I cannot understand how you would not have found it to be absolutely necessary considering that you live in Utah. These autos just do not like to be lugged around in low rpms.

I don't lug around in low rpms. When the rpms drop, the tranny down shifts, that's how the tranny works. I'm not trying to be snarky, I just never had any issues with it.

Box Rocket

It's the same situation with my 80 series LC. I have owned an 80 since 2000 and they've always had 35" tires and stock gears. I daily drive and wheel the piss out of them and the gearing has never been a problem. The 80 will lose speed on canyon climbs far more dramatically than the Tacoma ever did, but it's never bothered me. I have a brand new set of 4.88 Nitros on the shelf in the garage waiting to be installed in my 80. The only reason I have them is because I got them for a fraction of the normal price. I've had them since May and haven't felt the need to get them installed yet.
I regularly pulled my trailer with my Tacoma fully loaded up Spanish Fork canyon to Moab and held 70mph through the canyon no problem. There are a couple spots on Parley's canyon where the Tacoma would not hold speed well but I never lugged it in low rpms, when it started to lug, it would downshift and be fine.

cr500taco

Adventurer
So, just curious, these guys, at least over at TacomaWorld, that say a supercharger is needed for wheeling. Are they full of BS? granted I think most of them are kids on there.

A supercharger would be nice, but it's a big expense and from my understanding, it's more to it than just adding the supercharger to get it to perform well.

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
So, just curious, these guys, at least over at TacomaWorld, that say a supercharger is needed for wheeling. Are they full of BS? granted I think most of them are kids on there.

A supercharger would be nice, but it's a big expense and from my understanding, it's more to it than just adding the supercharger to get it to perform well.

If this isn't a troll post, take everything you read on the net with a grain of salt. Technically you can just bolt on the charger and roll, however to run right you'll need a 7th injector and a good tune and good gas. Might as well add meth to that or spray to get the air temps down at that point. Then rip that engine out, drop in a turbo 6.0/5.3 with a 4L80. Then long travel because the baja bug will bite you something hard, then a cage etc. Like someone said, one mod leads to another. Also I already have 1 vehicle that requires --->93<---(main reason I didn't want to do it), I don't need another. It's going away anyways so ehh. I'm tired of the go fast life, except for dirtbikes.

I'm with Adam and a lot of others on this one, granted I've got a 3.4 5spd and on 33.1050, but I can still tow my crf, girlfriends 4wheeler, and camping gear just fine with out any major difficulties. IF I had a 4banger then yea, I could see possibly a regear being needed, not with my 3.4 though. I've noticed very little difference other than 2nd gear take offs are a little harder. If it gives you piece of mind, by all means do it or spend your money elsewhere. Quite frankly I've been eyeballing a rtt for this winter. Also when on the trails with gear in the bed I've had no issues. If I need something lower I go 4low and I'm good.

Hudsen

Last edited:

the spindoctor

Definitely get the tires first and see what you think. i think it'll just come down to where and how you drive. I've been driving around for 2 years with stock 4.10 gears 3.4 auto, 33x10.5 at basically sea level and flat ground. Pulled a small trailer with 1/2 pallet of sod once without trouble, although slowly. Gas mileage definitely took a hit with the tires, and doing 70-75 MPH (GPS) seems to lag some on hills. Turning of off OD fixed it but killed mileage. Whenever I re-gear I'm going with 5.29 since I'm OK with slower highway speeds.

Box Rocket

I'm going to assume that the supercharger comments are a joke but in case they're not, whoever is telling you that you need one for wheeling is full of crap. Not even remotely necessary.

austintaco

Explorer
If you gradually move up to the 33's and add gear along the way, you probably won't notice much of a difference. If you drove a stock, unloaded truck with stock gears, and then drove a built up truck, loaded with gear, on 33's the difference would be noticeable. Needs and wants are two different things.
What I remember is that my truck, before the regear, would shift down more often and hunt for gears. With the re gear, I can put it in D and forget about it. If we are loaded up, I turn OD off. Also, tranny temps are down from not searching as much.

cr500taco

Adventurer
The SC comment was a joke. I know most people on here don't have one. But, still it will be nice to have..

im going to try the tires, first. Like, you said Box is a big expense and I rather put the money in other things, like new suspension and armour.

I might even try just running 32's. I have seen some Tacoma expo rigs running them.

cr500taco

Adventurer
If you gradually move up to the 33's and add gear along the way, you probably won't notice much of a difference. If you drove a stock, unloaded truck with stock gears, and then drove a built up truck, loaded with gear, on 33's the difference would be noticeable. Needs and wants are two different things.
What I remember is that my truck, before the regear, would shift down more often and hunt for gears. With the re gear, I can put it in D and forget about it. If we are loaded up, I turn OD off. Also, tranny temps are down from not searching as much.

Right now, my truck hunts for gears as it is, when going up hills that aren't even a steep grade. But, I think it depends on if there's a headwind or not. Sometimes switching the ECT to the power setting keeps it from shifting up, but sometimes I need to turn the OD off. I think that I need to replace the torque converter. If I do, I am hoping it will help that.

JLee

Adventurer
I'm going to assume that the supercharger comments are a joke but in case they're not, whoever is telling you that you need one for wheeling is full of crap. Not even remotely necessary.

I agree...and would also say you're more likely to start breaking axles/etc if you have more power to throw at whatever you're in.

Vegastoy

Observer
Right now, my truck hunts for gears as it is, when going up hills that aren't even a steep grade. But, I think it depends on if there's a headwind or not. Sometimes switching the ECT to the power setting keeps it from shifting up, but sometimes I need to turn the OD off. I think that I need to replace the torque converter. If I do, I am hoping it will help that.

If your already unhappy with the performance, it's only going to get worse with bigger/heavier tires. If at some point you do regear don't waste your time with anything less than 4.88's. I personally would strongly consider 5.29's. Just my opinion...

Arctic Taco

Adventurer
I agree with the sentiment, I will likely regear when I go in for a posi or locker. Thinking 4:88s since i am running 235/85R16 Toyos. which if i recall correctly translate to about a 32" tire(high 31.XX?)
Since i do have 3:90 gears i definitely notice a lack of power and have to drop a gear to get up some hills. So it's on the schedule just don't know when I'll have that big of a pile of pennies....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94