Ready to make larger committment, seeking ideas

DzlToy

Explorer
"Overlanding" has risen drastically in popularity over the last 7-8 years, and prices along with it. Buy used. NO RV will hold its value and the more exotic/expensive/posh or "high end" you go, the more money you are pissing out the window. Let someone else take the hit.

You are used to living conscientiously and minimalistically so keep it that way. There is no reason to increase the complexity of your life, the expenses you have or your ability to manoeuver on the road, unnecessarily.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK! There are MANY "popular" builders on this site, who do not build what I would call "top notch" products, but they charge "Rolls-Royce" prices. This will be your HOME; pick apart every stinking detail that could leave you stranded or outlaying large capital expenditures for repairs. Chrome doesn't get you home, as the old saying goes.

After living in your van for three years and your car for two, it is likely you know exactly what you need and what you want in your next rig. However, you may not think about topics such as warranty, serviceability, resale value, parts availability, insurance, fuel mileage, complexity of systems and so on. One reason that "van-life" is so appealing to so many people is that it is relatively simple and straight-forward. Buy a 500K Earthroamer and much of that goes away. Compare replacing an alternator on an E-250 to replacing an alternator on a Unimog or 379 Pete (parts & labour).

Buying an older vehicle allows you to keep insurance costs low, take advantage of someone else's depreciating asset, eliminate complex, mileage killing emissions systems found on modern diesel trucks (talk to a fleet mechanic or large diesel service center), and gives you a rig that all the "bugs" have been worked out of, likely by the previous owner.

EDIT: Parroted what everyone else said, even though a guy living in cars/vans for 5 years probably is not very "mainstream". Sorry Charlie. :D Thanks for the likes to the other guys. Interested to hear what the final decision is.

Cheers

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
Here is my 2 pennies and it is about something that does not get enough press in my opinion. There is always so (too?) much discussion about where you want to go, what you want to do etc. You can research yourself silly on reviews and opinions. Albeit fun, you will go in circles.
I highly recommend the first thing anyone should do is commit a couple grand on travel. Use the vast network of the folks here online and go look at and especially DRIVE each of the 5-6 options that are mentioned. The test ride should include: neighborhood streets, a shopping center parking lot, a long steep grade or pass and a rocky off-road section (not just a gravel road) to see how it rolls and pitches.
All your choices are out there and owned by Forum Members. I am almost sure this will get you down to only 1-2 viable options.
I’ll start by offering up my non earthcriuser utility box old school Fuso for you in Seattle. GL!!B8A87089-16DE-4952-ADFB-81C54DAFF0BA.jpeg

Last edited:

nomad661

This is pretty cool! (No affiliation).

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
This is pretty cool! (No affiliation).

Agreed, i dig it, but Not for $100k

nomad661

Eh I know little about the platform but didn't seem like a bad price for what's into it and what it is. And that's just the asking price.

thinairathlete

Here is my 2 pennies and it is about something that does not get enough press in my opinion. There is always so (too?) much discussion about where you want to go, what you want to do etc. You can research yourself silly on reviews and opinions. Albeit fun, you will go in circles.
I highly recommend the first thing anyone should do is commit a couple grand on travel. Use the vast network of the folks here online and go look at and especially DRIVE each of the 5-6 options that are mentioned. The test ride should include: neighborhood streets, a shopping center parking lot, a long steep grade or pass and a rocky off-road section (not just a gravel road) to see how it rolls and pitches.
All your choices are out there and owned by Forum Members. I am almost sure this will get you down to only 1-2 viable options.
I’ll start by offering up my non earthcriuser utility box old school Fuso for you in Seattle. GL!!View attachment 549344
I would second that on the Earthcruiser/Fuso platform. Ours is also for sale (moving to Mexico). A year and a half ago I drove everything that was an expedition camper and was available for sale in the states. Spent 2 months zigzagging the country and driving trucks new and used. Like GR8ADV said, neighborhood streets, parking lots etc. Also try switchback mntn passes and narrow foriegn streets. For agility, serviceability and driving fun, this is the platform. For sale on EXPO. 36714.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz