Ready to make larger committment, seeking ideas

shade

Everything else I’ve owned would get considerably further in the woods where I’d really like to be but they were miserable hanging out inside
The more I think about it, that sentiment seems more important. I'll hike for days and be a grimy mess with a grin on my face. I wouldn't be grinning if I returned to my home-on-wheels and wasn't comfortable. It's not like there's some better place to stay; you're home.

rruff

Explorer
So far, it looks like both, with a bias towards living quarters.

Based on this quote in the OP, I'd say off-road capability is more of an afterthought.

"I have traveled quite a lot in my van in the United States, mostly on paved roads and nothing crazy but mainly because my van is 2wd. So I'm definitely not opposed to getting off the beaten path. I think I would do so if my rig was capable of it. "

And the comforts of home are primary.

"im single but I don't want a rig built for one person. I'd like to be able to have ample space for things (bring food, toys, for festivals and gatherings etc ) and for when people are over, especially dates etc. It's weird when I have a guest over, and I have to fold out a toilet if they need to use the bathroom and do the business in the same area where we are hanging out. It seems like a permanent, separate space for that seems better.
...As homey as possible honestly, not so much campervan living situation, which is where I'm at now."

rruff

Explorer
The more I think about it, that sentiment seems more important. I'll hike for days and be a grimy mess with a grin on my face. I wouldn't be grinning if I returned to my home-on-wheels and wasn't comfortable. It's not like there's some better place to stay; you're home.

Different strokes for sure. To me the hassle of carrying and maintaining the stuff in a typical RV (or a typical overlanding vehicle for that matter) isn't worth it. I like being outside, and I like having just what I need and no more. Did it for 13 years and never once wished for more "comfort", or more equipment.

shade

Different strokes for sure. To me the hassle of carrying and maintaining the stuff in a typical RV (or a typical overlanding vehicle for that matter) isn't worth it. I like being outside, and I like having just what I need and no more. Did it for 13 years and never once wished for more "comfort", or more equipment.
I prefer going with less, and what I do have, I want to be reliable and simple to maintain. I don't want any hassles, and if I see one creep into my travels, I take up the challenge of eliminating it. Having more gear usually runs counter to how I like to do things, kind of like the Fight Club line:

When considering a full home replacement on wheels, I think it's still possible to use those principles to guide choices, and comfort can be had. Simple things, such as choosing down bedding over using a heater, choosing a good campsite over using AC, and not taking Hollywood showers can make a big difference in the experience, but still allow for comfort.

• Is there a place for everything?
  • Will it all stay put?
  • Is there room to move around?
  • If the weather's bad, can I easily prepare meals?
  • Is the bed comfortable?
  • Do I have a good view from inside? (Thanks for that one, Jay)
  • How easy is it to store and remove waste?
  • Do I have to run a generator often? Ever?
  • Do I have some shade?
  • Do I have a comfortable place to sit & eat or read?
  • Once on site, how long can I realistically be fully self-supporting?

Questions like those seem more important to answer than the breakover angle of the vehicle, IMO.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Maybe the best thing to do would be to go look at all of these options and then decide what is right for you. Personally I like knowing that when the weather is ugly I can be inside and not living on top of my spouse. I like knowing that I can go anywhere for long periods of time and then leave when I want to. Life is short, make a decision about what works for you.

trailsurfer

Explorer
I think you should look at a new Tiger or a used Earthroamer. Enough size to be comfortable and host guests, and capable of getting you to campsites that most others can't get too.

foxhunter

Adventurer
rblackwell, a member of this site has traveled much of the world in a Tiger, an Earthroamer, and a GXV on a U500 chassis. He has a website , whiteacorn.com. Before I bought my vehicle in 2011-2012, I spent a lot of time researching his thoughts on all three vehicles. He has a ton of practical experience in those vehicles. you should look into his site and some of his old posts here. He had an earthroamer and the GXV at the same time, both of which he has since sold and I believe he and Nina are now traveling around Australia.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Check it. Looks to be an incredible deal.

thinairathlete

My wife and I have traveled extensively and lived full time in an Earthcruiser. North and south of the border, through the canyons in Utah and mountain roads in Colorado. It works well for two people and is luxurious for one. The truck is narrow and low enough to get down most trails and narrow streets in Latin America. The 650 watts of solar easily keep the batteries topped off for extended periods away even on cloudy days. If you are interested it is now for sale here on Expedition Portal. We are moving out of the country and cant take it with us. Will consider any offer.522914

The_3_bears

Ya know, the big guys out there make great XVs. You will not find anyone who argues with the quality and work they put into them...that being said, you can design and build your own for a lot less...also, not related, no affiliation, but there is a duramax 5500 on the classified board asking 92k. Cash talks and you’ll then have more than 200k to go bonkers and remodel the rig...seriously it doesn’t look like it needs much

Glenn C.

Travels in Wolnośc
The Earthcruiser is a Great platform. I picked mine up 11/17 and have 35,000 miles on it and it has never let me down on the trail, the FUSO chassis is strong (and my rig full of all fluids and packed for a trip is a full ton under GVW/GVM, an important factor) and once you understand the Duonic 6 speed it really works well off road (for a 12,000lb rig on 35's). The house has had no failures of any kind in all that travel! And I use my rig, the windows bear the scars of some very tight Colorado trails, and my KO2's have more than a few cuts and chips. If the EC fits the bill, it is a great platform and used ones do come to the market. The Tiger is also a respectable unit at a lower price point. The construction is more conventional RV with lower price components used in it's build. I have traveled Colorado trails on Tiger CX and was impressed with the value and capabilities of the rig, another up-side is the 1-ton truck (Ford,Chevy,Ram) chassis, not as exotic as the Cab-over. I would be cautious about Diesel Fords in the Tiger, some require the cab to be removed for some long term service items and I am not sure how you would accomplish that. Please feel free to contact me directly and we can talk about your process to find a new rig, very exciting!

Glenn C.

Travels in Wolnośc
I run at about 12,500 lbs with all tanks full (water, diesel and DEF), full food clothing and supplies, fridge and freezer stocked. I have weighed my rig 3 times at 3 different packing levels to see what the weight distribution is at those loads. I average 7,100 on the rear and 5,400 on the front. If you do not pay attention, because of the large amounts of storage in an Earthcruiser, you can overload the rear axle tire rating of 7,720. It is always a good idea to weigh your rig at full load with all souls on board so you know where you are at and develope a running and aired down pressuer scheme that reflects the actual load on the tires. And yes my rig is SRW FUSO FG converted by Earthcruiser.
Happy Trails,
Glenn C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94