Realistic price point for a 3" lift on a DD?

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Hey guys, I have a 2015 DCSB that I DD and overland in. In the almost 3 years I've owned it, I've put nearly 15,000mi of overlanding/road trips on it in addition to DDing. That being said, 90% of its day-to-day driving is purely DD highway driving. So now I have a decision to make. I've finally run down the rugged trails it came with and it's time for new tires. I was hoping I'd be able to run them a bit longer to save up for a stage 3 or stage 4 ICON lift, but at this point I can't justify spending so much on a lift kit. This raises the question, for someone who uses their vehicle primarily for a DD (with the alternative being primarily rutted backroads and forestry roads) do I really need such a hefty suspension setup? Reservoir shocks sound awesome but I question if I will ever actually appreciate them. I don't want to buy a budget lift, but what would be best given my situation? If I can't find a right price point on a lift kit right now I'll probably buy another set of stock size tires and wait 3-4 years until they wear out and I need a new set before lifting. Thanks in advance for the help!

donrafa7

I did 5100s all around and UCA for less than 800 bucks (installed myself on a gen1 tundra but similar for your taco). Allowed a 2.5" lift up front (hassle to change height though, a threaded body seems so much nicer for a dual purpose rig). UCA gave me more droop/travel. My 2 cents, its a waste of money. A nice set of tires will get you further than an expensive lift. You'll likely be driving slow fire trails to keep your new truck from getting scratched, the suspension wont make a bit of a difference.

p nut

butter
Basic reasoning concludes you don't need a lift. You're running roads that a Subaru can drive on. Save money, gas, etc. and stick with the stock height. Now, if you want it for looks....practical reasoning goes out the window.

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
If buying stock size tires and waiting a few years before lifting actually makes you happy. Then you don't "need" the lift. Very few of us do. Doesn't stop us from buying them.

I would research the tallest tire you can fit with no lift, and run that.

Doesn't sound like you have been to a trail and wishes for more clearance. Patience and careful driving will get you many places.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Thanks for the response guys, while a Subaru would probably manage some of the trails I do, a few extra inches would help some peace of mind. I did Imogene last August and while yes I managed just fine there were some close situations, mostly due to my departure angle. I ended up backing out of Cinnamon because that day it was pouring rain and I wasn't willing to push my truck with no room for forgiveness. I don't plan on any advanced trails, but being able to run some easy stuff without stress is my main inspiration. You guys are right, I don't plan to rock crawl my truck any time soon but a little extra height and contact patch wouldn't hurt.

AaronK

Explorer
The reality is you don't need a lift for many applications. However, aftermarket suspension makes forest roads a lot more pleasant to drive on and most of them also increase your ride height.
That said, I've been extremely happy with my OME suspension and it doesn't break the bank either.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Kiriesh

Adventurer
The reality is you don't need a lift for many applications. However, aftermarket suspension makes forest roads a lot more pleasant to drive on and most of them also increase your ride height.
That said, I've been extremely happy with my OME suspension and it doesn't break the bank either.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Do you have a link to your kit? I run OME coils on my JKU and I'm very happy with them.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
So true, lift, ride quality, wheel travel and payload are reasons to change out suspension and you can do all or some. It's totally reasonable to pick a different ride while staying more or less stock on the other two. Some are all about lifting for appearance with the other factors being depreciated.

I wanted a little lift, maximize wheel travel, bump payload and mainly improve ride. I ended up with 2.5" front shocks without remote reservoirs. Remote reservoirs are excessive for what we do, I've rarely heated my shocks to the point I was worried and haven't ever pushed them to the point that failure was imminent. If you're desert racing and slowing down or stopping isn't in the cards, then you need them.

Otherwise even 2.0" shocks are almost always sufficient. I went with 2.5" fronts mainly because at the time I had the money and figured what the heck. I know there won't be any durability or heating issues pretty much ever. I have 2.0" rear shocks and figured if they can't handle what the front can then it's easy to bump to either 2.5" or 2.0" with reservoirs since they aren't also holding up the truck like the front coil overs.

FWIW I have FOX 2.5 IFP with 650 lb/in 14" King coils and Camburg ball joint type upper control arms in front and Dakar CS047R rear springs with FOX 2.0 IFP shocks in back. I'm very happy with the ride, slightly stiff on the front (no winch yet installed in my ARB though) and the back is about 1" taller than the front static. When loaded I'm very close to flat. My truck is an Access Cab 2008 though, so the weight distribution might be enough different that it's not exactly equal. At this point I doubt I'll put in the extra leaf, but maybe when I get a rear bumper, who knows.

I ended up with about 2" of lift in front, 3" in the back.

rruff

Explorer
I don't want to buy a budget lift, but what would be best given my situation? If I can't find a right price point on a lift kit right now I'll probably buy another set of stock size tires and wait 3-4 years until they wear out and I need a new set before lifting.

Strut lifts don't really increase your wheel clearance, not if you hit bumps while turning. Check the Tacoma forums on what you need to do to create wheel well clearance, and the biggest tire you can run where it's still easy to do. On Tundras you can go up 2-3" in dia before you need to start cutting things.

Given your parameters, a mild front lift and shock upgrade along with larger tires would make sense IMO. The cheapest "good" lift you can do on the front is Bilstein 5100 for ~$210/pr plus installation. They match up pretty good with stock Bilstein rears. I'd suggest 1.5-2" of lift for better suspension performance (up and down travel), and you shouldn't feel a need for UCAs at that level.

What tires?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'd get some Toytec coilovers and an add a leaf in your situation. It will be a big improvement over stock and less than 1300 bucks.

rruff

Explorer
I'd get some Toytec coilovers and an add a leaf in your situation. It will be a big improvement over stock and less than 1300 bucks.

I think the ones you are talking about are a Bilstein 5100 with a threaded adjuster. That's a huge price premium for the adjuster (~$200/pr vs $800/pr).

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think the ones you are talking about are a Bilstein 5100 with a threaded adjuster. That's a huge price premium for the adjuster (~$200/pr vs $800/pr).
Yes, there are two options around that price. The 2.0" BOSS coil overs or the 5100 with the kit they came up with to make them adjustable (the Ultimate).

If there's no need to adjust then I agree, just go with the regular 5100 and save the bucks. I'm not sure there's enough difference between 5100 and the 2.0" shocks to justify the money. Rebuilding and tuning them would be it and I don't which are or aren't capable of doing that.

To be honest you really only adjust a few times anyway. Being able to infinitely dial in the ride height is a nice (but expensive) luxury.

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Thanks a ton for the input guys, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what I'm considering at the moment. I'm not willing to spend the $$$ for a full 3"/285's combo setup that many run because it will simply be overkill for my needs and far too expensive for what I gain. My goal is to improve my ride quality off-road a bit, as well as gain a small amount of wheel travel in the front while dealing with the wimpy-ness of the rear leaf pack (for reference, I have a tonneau cover + bed rail system currently that levels the ride with a stock suspension. I have airbags as well for when I load it down but I'd like to get rid of the mush).

For the lift kit, I'm eyeing the OME kit here:

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/OME-TAK--OME-Tacoma-Suspension-lift-kit_p_231.html

I'd get 885 coils and a 2" AAL in the rear, their site recommends a diff drop but from what I hear I'm better off not installing one as the pinion angle at ~2.5"+ is fine.

For the tires, I'm leaning towards 265/75R16 (~31.6" tires) General Grabber AT2's.

rruff

Explorer
OME is good stuff, but on the Tundras people get more lift than they say. Check the Tacoma forums. 885 coil might be more than you want. A differential drop will be a good idea at 2.5". It's cheap and easy, but you can do it after you see what your lift is like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior