reality check on a few concepts - Liftup Roof & Drop down Side Verandah + Levelling Jacks for MR truck

danf

Hi Guys,

I am still in the fantasy/planning stages of a DIY expedition build. It's to be lived in full time by my wife and I, our 3 year old toddler and 2 dogs, so we don't think an Isuzu or Canter based light truck build will cut it, we really want at least 20ft of container length + outdoor area's.

Couple of concepts I just want to throw out there to see if they are possible or if people have done them before.

Lift up roof - This is to essentially create an upstairs lounge area.

Kind of like this except probably minus the fixed furniture, I'm worried about height, so considering just the roof lifting up with the solar panels on top so that we can have a large upstairs lounge area whilst camping. We would just have folding lounge camping chairs for the area most likely. (KISS)
armadillo_conquistador-3.jpg

The other thing that this would require, especially for my unique needs which are landscape photography, I want the height up here to be able to take beautiful images, but it needs to be 100% stable. So I would need some sort of jacks for the entire vehicle to lift it off its suspension. Are these commonly available? I'm struggling sorting through info and research. They may as well self level too if I'm going to the effort.

The second concept I'm thinking about, possibly not in conjunction with the first is a drop down side Verandah/Annex. I know these 100% exist already, usually at the rear of large 5th wheelers which also use the area as a vehicle ramp, but I was thinking about Dropping the whole side of the container to create a larger outside area.

There are a couple of concepts like this starting to arrive, I think it's probably the next big thing after slide outs... It means I can do away with a separate door because we will probably just have the crawl through or the drop down verandah...

Not sure if something like this is possible to have fabricated relatively easily or not though.

DSC00677.jpg

DSC00668.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

The Artisan

Adventurer
I do not have a drop down deck but I plan on making a pull out 60" slides rated at 600lbs. Think of a big drawer with a folding ladder stairs. My plan is to have a roof top deck on my 12 foot pod. My design is a little different and will show it when it is made.
Kevin

danf

I do not have a drop down deck but I plan on making a pull out 60" slides rated at 600lbs. Think of a big drawer with a folding ladder stairs. My plan is to have a roof top deck on my 12 foot pod. My design is a little different and will show it when it is made.
Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz