Reality of cargo trailers off road?

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Ok you cargo trailer guys. I really like some of the things you are doing with your trailers. Great ideas. But...

I don't see many..heck...any action shots of your trailers. By that I mean pics of the trailers off road. Over rocks. Off camber. Deep washes. Wet or dry. Steep descent or ascent. Not Rubicon trails. But stuff you would encounter in the southwest. Seems like most pics of cargos are in campgrounds.

So, show me why these are just as good as a built M416. I would love the interior options of a hard side...but not if it means I'm committed to developed camp grounds. I want to go places that camper trailers can't go. If I'm in a campground...I'm going to buy a camper trailer.

Nothing meant to be offensive. Just want some real world accounts of these cargo's capabilities off pavement.
Thanks!

grogie

Like to Camp
I don't see any responses yet, and I'm not a cargo trailer guy so can't answer what you're looking for. With that being said, I would think you can take a cargo trailer places where you generally wouldn’t take a travel trailer. You may end up dragging it a bit, and it may be slow, but then taking any trailer off the beaten path is a bit of that. My box trailer has a built up suspension with a 3500# axle, but it’s still work to take it anywhere off-road as you just have to drive slower and take more care when going over rocky surfaces. And for example, I won’t take my trailer everywhere my Jeep can go (narrow shelf roads where I may have to pass others, and tight switch backs are at the top of my no-go list). You just have to have a list of where you wouldn’t take a cargo trailer, like narrow roads through forests, muddy conditions were the trailer may sink/bottom out, that kind of thing...

I’ll also mention that my brother has had a popup and he's dragged places as there are plenty of places you can go that aren’t the Rubicon trail as you said. But one thing I would ask, do you need all that stuff that a cargo trailer would carry? Are you planning to live for a week out in the bush? Personally I want to keep my camping simple and light, so an RTT on top of my box trailer works for me as it's just for sleeping. My brother actually just sold his pop-up as they found that other then it was raining, they only used it to sleep in and were preferring to not stay at campgrounds. It was just more work to tow it to places they wanted to go. They've returned to tent camping...

Hope that helps. :)

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Grogie. Thanks for the response. I currently have an M416 with raised rack and RTT. It works great off road. It goes anywhere I want to take it. I don't do a lot of shelf roads where I would have to pass someone either. And I avoid mud if at all possible. Not because of the trailer. I just hate mud!
The thing about a cargo that entices me is the idea of having sleeping areas inside the trailer. Read: no more climbing up and down a ladder. And the ability to stand up and change more easily. I'd like an outdoor kitchen as well. So the inside would be just sleeping and storage.
On a side note...where in Indiana are you? I grew up surrounded by southern Indiana cornfields!

Ohaul

I'm not sure if this counts as your action shot.
Its a 5x8 converted cargo trailer. the only "off road" thing I've done is to change the trailer tires to the next size larger, standard 2" ball hitch and trailer springs. Its been a great trailer and we have slept in it over 60 night since we "finished" it.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/ohaul.scubatruck/videos/10208017688586693/?l=2282534076482291778[/video]

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
You aren't playing fair GI jeepin!

Those videos are not of cargo trailers. Maybe I need to be more specific...I'm wondering about converted cargo trailers for off road camping in lieu of a M416 or similar trailer.

I think I have already answered my own question anyway after looking at them this weekend. A 5x8 is too small for what I'd like to do so its not really a good option for replacing my m416. A 6x12 is a lot better size but then it's too big and long for off road duty. So, at that point I might as well get a 7x16 and build a nice camper for campground use. 😜👍🦄

Thanks for the replies everyone.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Not a Cargo trailer but special built to do just about any trail and survive. No longer build them, not a plywood trailer. steel framed, never a failure on a single one of them. You can build one, just don't use spring suspension, go torsion axles and buy the right weight axle for the trailer.

this trailer had heat, fridge, stove, water heater, sink, microwave, tv, and tempurpedic mattress. Still running the hills of Missouri and the east coast. I put about 20K on it before I sold it. Never got to the Rubicon, but did John Bull, Imogene Pass, Engineer Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch, Kokopelli, Chicken something, Carvacre/Pan Cake Rock, Top of the World, Rose Garden Hill with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpsy1161R8Q

verdesardog

Explorer
I take my home built trailer on rough forest service roads. I built it specifically for that purpose. Is has 2x2 framing with OSB siding. rigid foil backed insulation. Bunks for two, forced air furnace, inside or outside kitchen, RV awning. It has held up fine.

Woodchute camping.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I've pulled mine through some pretty rough trails, and it did as well as any trailer it's weight. I don't have many pictures or videos, just because it's usually my family and friends, and we don't make a point to walk the trailer very often. That said, it's really only the weight that holds you back. The center of gravity is pretty low, and other than that, a trailer is a trailer. It's not going to be as good as a smaller 4x6 trailer, but it certainly went anywhere I wanted it to go.

Getting to these spots wasn't something I'd consider rock crawling, but there weren't any cars getting up there either.

20130427_192756_zps0323e891.jpg

20140502_1416331_zpsc16fa0c4.jpg

Don

-

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER

That's a great looking setup Don!

For most people that don't feel the need for some "swiss-army knife" type trailer, I think a cargo trailer is a fantastic way to go.

Most are built stout, and lend them selves easily to finishing out, up-fitting, and mods.

beardus supremous

Adventurer
I have taken mine threw the woods and lived in it all last summer, but no major photos like you are looking for. However, it is in the process of being rebuilt so I can take it to those mythical places you speak of, that an m416 will go.

TwinStick

Explorer
My perspective & .02 Cents:

The reality is (at least to me), off-raod trailers are expensive, which is why many can't afford them & build their own. I am one of the people who can't quite afford one or justify spending 12-20k on one. (from my wife: no way are we spending 12-20k & still be sleeping in a tent) I totally understand & would LOVE to buy/build a M1102 or X-Venture or a cargo trailer some day. Then there is the whole "happy wife, happy life" thing going on, even though none of us want to admit it !!! LOL Not 100% sure yet but i am thinking that our "compromise" will do pretty much everything we want (which is to "get off the beaten path") rather than hard core trails. Weather becomes a non-issue (except extreme weather) & the convenience factor is very high. Toilet, stove, microwave, bed, A/C, tv, dvd, yada, yada. Then there is the "older you get, the less you want to sleep in a tent" thing. There is NOTHING wrong with roughing it or basic camping, just be honest with yourself & your spouse about what you want. Camping means different things to different people.

^^^^^^This is our compromise. 18' AR One extreme. Brand spanking new, $14,500. Yes, it is NOT an off-road camper. Yes, it's resale value will suck. RV's, they are what they are. It works well for us so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles