Rear carrier removal questions 99 montero

Yep. Took it for a test. All is well crawls up rocks great. I notice the gear change difference and the front lokka works awesome. No wheelspin, slow and precise crawl up obstacles. At the junkyard now getting a new transfer case lever since mine decided to have its bushing disintegrate.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Hmm... I've always wanted a pair of lockers on my Gen 1. I think I have to get some Gen 2 axles first to get a more appropriate gear ratio for my 33" tires.

Land rover discovery factory rear ladder fits well on the montero!
2e2u5u7y.jpg

Might pick it up depending on cost

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Quick question, were you running the same tires when you made the switch from the 4.27 gears to the 4.63 gears, and did you notice much of a difference? I am leaning towards just going with the 4.90 gears but was curious.

I swapped the factory 30s for 33 the second day I bought the car, so I can't recall how the power felt with the factory tires. When I did the gear change I did feel a noticeable difference in power both acceleration and freeway. The truck does not downshift or hunt when going up long grades on the freeway. I can also pass people on the freeway remaining in 4th if I don't push the pedal too hard. It is about a 10% difference in speed as that was the error in mph when I had the stock gearing on 33s. The speedo is now accurate with the 4.63.

The only reason I didn't go with the 4.9 is because I would have to take both front and rear diffs to a shop to properly install and adjust the gears, adding more cost. I also already had to buy another air locked third member since I broke my original locker. So this also added to the cost. The 4.63 is a junkyard drop in since both diffs bolt up like factory, thus reducing cost and time. Go for the 4.90s if you have a few extra bucks or know how to install r&p.

I had to get a new transfer case shift assembly today since the original one broke. I was 60 miles from home just finished off roading when I pulled the shifter out of 4 low at about 5 mph. Well the lever got jammed, wouldn't move and I was stuck in 4 low. Fortunately I was in a good area where I could work on my car. After wiggling around the shifter for 30 mins hoping it would free itself, I decided to open up the center console and investigate. I got down to the base of the transfer case assembly and saw 3 nuts holding on the handle. I removed the nuts and a ************* bolt fell into the transfer case. I quickly realized I shouldn't have removed the 3 nuts, but the 4 bolts around the 3 are the correct ones. Once I took the 4 correct ones off, I removed the shift handle and could see the shift levers and the gears of the transfer case. No ************* bolt in sight. I manually popped it in 2 hi and was so pissed I decided to drive home, hoping the bolt is not lodged between gears or gets thrown up and smashes a hole in my case. Made it home. Took off the side access panel on the xcase no bolt in sight. Used a flexible camera and located it from the top. Was able to get the bolt out with a magnet. Best feeling ever. Don't have to pull case and open it!

In inspecting the shift lever, there is a round plastic bushing that keeps the shifter aligned and precise. Apparently this piece is known to fail due to age and heat. Mine was completely disinigrated. None was left. My shifter was always sloppy, but I figured that's the way it was supposed to be. The bushing is not avail seperate. Only with the lever. Over $200 at the dealer. I found a good used one at the junkyard for $20.

yjuvuvy7.jpg

Old with no bushing left.

3a6yguha.jpg

New (used) with good bushing.

Gonna grease it up real good then install in a few.

Everyone should check their bushing because when they fail, all the bits fall directly into the xcase, getting ground up by the gears and mixed with the gear oil. Also the shifter will get sloppy and lock you out of certain gears!

nckwltn

Explorer
what pick a parts place are you going to?

My shifter seems pretty sloppy. I can find various t-case modes, but it isn't a really firm shift.

Pick your part
11201 Pendleton St, Sun Valley, CA 91352

My shifter is very firm and precise now. The bushing looked like new. There were about 5 monteros there. I took apart 3 of the shifters and took the best one. I left the other 2 inside one of the monteros. I don't remember which one.

nckwltn

Explorer
did you grab that ladder? :ylsmoke:

I'm thinking I should inspect my shifter, I'll bet it is toast based on how much slop there is.

I grabbed it. Under $20 and if I don't use it, my disco friend said he wants it. So, no loss to me! My only apprehension is drilling into the body. Maybe I should just man up. Lol!

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The shifter balls come in two types, red and white. The later red ones eventually crumble and the older white ones seem to last forever, not sure why Mitsu switched other than maybe the red conducts less noise??? So if you find a white T-case shifter assy in the yard and own a late model Gen 2 you should probably pick it up just because.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier