Rear diff skid plate

Just started the main body of a rear diff skid plate for my rig. Waiting for some saddle clamps in the mail to finish the mounts, then ill paint and install.
Should have the clamps this weekend so will be done by early next week.20220310_073328.jpg20220310_073350.jpg

Thanks she my qc engineer has to inspect everything. It's about the Best I can do with a 20 amp harbor freight fcaw, not too worried about how it looks as long as it will take hits.

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
Thanks she my qc engineer has to inspect everything. It's about the Best I can do with a 20 amp harbor freight fcaw, not too worried about how it looks as long as it will take hits.

Just kidding about the skid plate. I‘m no judge of fab skills, its way better than I could do.

Just kidding about the skid plate. I‘m no judge of fab skills, its way better than I could do.
I didn't take it any sort of way . Just letting ya know what I was working with. After my first project, I found Welding is alot easier than I thought so now if I need an skid I make it.
Here is the Transmission. Skid I made last week.
20220216_170605.jpg20220219_090246.jpg

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
A for effort, just keep in mind that rebar is pretty soft/malleable...it probably won't stand up to much of a hit if you high center. Probably better than nothing tho!

A for effort, just keep in mind that rebar is pretty soft/malleable...it probably won't stand up to much of a hit if you high center. Probably better than nothing tho!
5x #4 rebar isn't near as easy to bend as the thin wall 1" dom tubing that aev uses. After all the heat I put into it it's more likely it will Crack than bend. Either way it's beefier than aev bolt together transmission skid is.

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
Just a caution, I used to have one on a '90 Bronco I owned some years ago. It had clamps that went around the axle tubes but nothing up towards the front. While wheeling, I caught it on something and it twisted the entire skid plate rotating the rear bolts on the axle putting it down and back making it vertical instead of horizontal like a big paddle sticking into the dirt. I would think that the ones with another u-bolt towards the front might reduce the chances of that happening.

Just a caution, I used to have one on a '90 Bronco I owned some years ago. It had clamps that went around the axle tubes but nothing up towards the front. While wheeling, I caught it on something and it twisted the entire skid plate rotating the rear bolts on the axle putting it down and back making it vertical instead of horizontal like a big paddle sticking into the dirt. I would think that the ones with another u-bolt towards the front might reduce the chances of that happening.
Thanks, it was already part of the design.
20220411_064648.jpg20220411_064713.jpg

Good call. Like to see it installed when done. I have a mig welder but it has been gathering dust...
You should use it, it does take a bit of practice. Mine is just a harbor freight Flux core and some hf .030 wire.
I wanted to install it and a bunch of other stuff 2 weeks ago but life has got in the way, next weekend is out too ill be out of town. Might take off one day next week if it's nice out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz