Rear Diff Skidplate for Moderate SoCal Trail Use?

Allof75

Pathfinder
I am trying to figure out whether or not I should purchase a rear differential skidplate for my Pathfinder along with my other order of skidplates. It would be about an additional $133 to tack it on to my order. And unfortunately my drain plug is on the very bottom of the diff, but realistically I'm not sure if that skidplate would be of much use if it's just mounted with u-bolts as pictured in the link. I am just wondering, have any of you run into any situations where you were glad you had one or wish you did while mild to moderate wheeling in SoCal (Anza Borrego, Mojave, Death Valley etc.)?

Thanks!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If memory serves the Pathfinder has a welded steel housing plus third member and are pretty beefy, you should be fine without it.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Well I've only been off roading all over the southwest for about 40 years now and have never wished I had them. Been on some pretty tough trails and have found that a slow and careful line and or a good spotter (sometimes just me doing both) have gotten me through. Given a choice I'd opt to spend my cash on more ground clearance or better protection for my tranny and trans case. Oh, I have trashed a few exhaust systems over the years but all that means is a noisy ride home!

Allof75

Pathfinder
So the consensus seems to be to save my money and just get the front, oil pan/tranny, and transfer case skids? As for the exhaust I'm planning on getting a custom magnaflow sometime soon, hopefully I can get them to tuck it up closer to the pan than factory.

Thanks!

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Rear diff. protection.......

So the consensus seems to be to save my money and just get the front, oil pan/tranny, and transfer case skids? As for the exhaust I'm planning on getting a custom magnaflow sometime soon, hopefully I can get them to tuck it up closer to the pan than factory.

Thanks!

My .02 is that you might not remember where that large rock is when you cleared it climbing that steep hill...... when you have to back down all the way or just a bit to take a better line....... well you get the picture, and yes this mod has protected my butt more than once, along with all the other skid's I have mounted. mjmcdowell

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
My .02 is that you might not remember where that large rock is when you cleared it climbing that steep hill...... when you have to back down all the way or just a bit to take a better line....... well you get the picture, and yes this mod has protected my butt more than once, along with all the other skid's I have mounted. mjmcdowell

Have you seen how beefy the stock housing is on the Pathfinder rear ends? They make a D44 jealous.

Reddog1

It is easy for us to spend your money. I am not familiar with the Pathfinder diffs, but I am a believer in armor on the underside. It is kind of like a fire extinguisher, you feel good if you never need it. You only need it one time.

In my opinion, if the diff can be dented to the point of hitting the ring gear, the diff needs armor. I am not very concerned with damage to the cast portion of the diff, it is very tough. The skid in the link appears to be more for skidding over things, than protecting against damage. Personally, I would not put it very high on my priority list. If the opposite side of your diff is like the sheet metal Samurai, that is what I would want to protect.

The axle part of the diffs on my Samurai are sheet metal, with the plug on the bottom. The third member (ring and pinion carrier) is cast steel. When I built my Samurai, I did put armor to protect the sheet metal from bending in against the ring gear. I thought it was a waste of time, and only offered bling-bling. That was about five years ago. I ran a trail last month and I honestly can say I doubt I would have driven home had I not had the armor caps on my diffs, front diff and rear diff. Underneath my Samurai is painted black and white. The armor diff caps are white, and show wounds received protecting the ring gear. I have scarring of the paint on the cast part of the diffs and drain plug, but absolutely no damage. I might be able to post photos, if anyone wants to see them.

You only need one fire to need an extinguisher, and only one rock to waste a diff. Personally, I have never needed an extinguisher. I suggest you look at a 4x4 site and see what they do to protect the diff on the Pathfinder.

Allof75

Pathfinder
This is the diff under my rig for reference.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for the help thus far!

Reddog1

Lets see if I can post a photo.

This is my diffs. They have 9" ground clearance. The filler plug areas are sheet metal, the same as yours. I added the white pipe cap halfs. They are 1/4" thick, welded to the diffs. The were freshly painted with no scratches. One trip with the fresh black and white paint. The hits are obvious due to the missing/scarred paint. Several rocks hit the armor, but it needs only one hit to do serious damage.

front diff2.jpgfront diff1.jpgrear diff1.jpgrear diff2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz