Rear Rack Question

Jeepin_for_life

My rear rack fell apart today while bike commuting so I am seeking opinions how to move forward.

Background:

I recently got a killer deal and purchased a Salsa Vaya 3 loaded with front and rear salsa racks from my LBS. Well it is finally warm enough to do a long distance ride and enjoy it here in Illinois so I loaded up the paniers with my laptop, bike lock, and work clothes and started riding home from work Total weight was probably about 10-12 pounds. About 10 miles into the trip my rear rack fell apart. It didn't bend or anything but the bolts that hold the rack above the rear tire either fell or stripped out.

Question:

My question is, do I take this as a fluke and just fix the rack or are the Salsa racks weak by design? Or do I return the racks and buy a different brand rack? If I get a different rack which brand/type should I get? I plan on touring with this bike and today I hardly had a touring weight load on the rack, maybe 10 to 12 lbs.

Thank you in advance.

p nut

butter
If the bolts on the top of the seat stays fell out, simple loctite would probably fix it. Sounds like it wasn't tightened down properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior