rear recovery point

beerhiker

Adventurer
My new Tacoma (04 D-Cab) did not come with the tow package so I dont have any rear recovery points, so I was thinking of installing a class 3 reciever hitch on it for now. Is there any reason I shouldnt go this route?
Any ideas on where to get a good deal on one or recommended brands? A company is selling them on e-bay for pretty cheap but Im a little leary even though they say rated as class 3. I have installed Hidden Hitch brand before which I was happy with.
Im still trying to decide on the front system, I really dont want all the weight out front of ARB/XD9000 (would really like a custom bumper with receiver, but $$$), I will be adding a suspension system to support whatever. Ive read a few threads about the pros and cons but still undecided, which brings me to the question about front receivers; ive seen them rated to 9000lbs for front but standard seems to be 5000lb for rear, why is that? just seems odd.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
As for the rear recovery point, a receiver hitch is an excellent spot. I have used my Toyota brand hitch (which I believe is made by Reese) and a Warn shackle plug to pull and get pulled. It is a solid recovery point.

As for the models on eBay, if they are a known brand name I would not hesitate to buy one.

beerhiker

Adventurer
on e-bay they are sold by nerfbar-hitches, cant find a brand name otherwise, but it looks like can be had for under $50 plus $31 shipping.

Dave

Explorer
I have a Class III Hidden Hitch. Easy install, came with all the right hardware, and the instructions were easy to follow. Check www.etrailer.com, they're local to me but their prices are still pretty competitive last time I looked.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
beerhiker said:
on e-bay they are sold by nerfbar-hitches, cant find a brand name otherwise, but it looks like can be had for under $50 plus $31 shipping.

Sorry can't comment on the brand - never heard of them. But man that is a good price!

jim65wagon

My Tundra came with the Hidden Hitch installed and I've used it several times to pull people out of ditches and sand and "puddles" with a 2 inch strap you can use the hitch pin fitting the loop of the strap into the receiver, works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior