Rear tire carrier

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Looking for recommendations for a rear tire carrier for my 2000 Cherokee. Was looking at a Smittybuilt rear bumper with tire carrier. Only thing is it doesn’t have any way to carry fuel and water tanks.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I’m seeing that Smittybuilt isn’t the best tire carrier. Looking at JRC. That looks like a good bumper.

billiebob

Looking for recommendations for a rear tire carrier for my 2000 Cherokee. Was looking at a Smittybuilt rear bumper with tire carrier. Only thing is it doesn’t have any way to carry fuel and water tanks.
I'd never recommend Smitty Built. I've seen more than one of these...

Shittybilt tire carrier.jpeg

I'm not sure there are better ones but look beyond price and buy one engineered to do everything you want it too do.
Water, fuel, farmer jacks all add weight which will break anything not designed to carry that weight.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Will make sure the rear will take the extra weight. From what I’ve been reading Smittybuilt isn’t the way to be going.

Adamson904

Rock Hard Tire Carrier.JPG

Very pleased with my Rock Hard 4x4 tire carrier. Although I do not run any accessories with it. Talked to them at Jeep Beach and was able to get it to my local fedex facility for $1000 with powdercoating and the license plate/light kit which is normally another $100. Ran mine for about 1.5 years now and no issues and no sagging like I have seen with SmittyBilt carriers

G0to60

Observer

My wife has the XRC rear bumper for her JKU but they make a similar version for the Cherokee. https://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/149.htm

I know that many people bag on Smittybilt but I can say that this bumper is great. It's very sturdy and we've had no issues over the last year and a half wheeling with it. The Cherokee one holds one Jerry can and has tabs for lights and a jack. It also holds the tire carrier swing out on the top and bottom of the hinge point making it stronger than the others that only attach on the bottom. One downside is that it is heavy. Install was also kind of a pain on the JKU version with hard to get to bolts but I'm not sure how it is on the Cherokee version.

Here's a video that TrailRecon did on the bumper:

TripLeader

Explorer
I have a Dirtworx on my LJ.

Link for an XJ:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne