Reasons for Eezi-Awn Stealth over Alu Cab Expedition 3?

kwilkins

I have been researching hard shell RTT and am debating between the Alu Cab Expedition 3 and the Eezi-Awn Steath. They seem to be very similar to each other in most aspects but there are two things I like more about the Alu Cab. There are just two latches to open and close versus 4 with the Stealth, so it appears it would be easier to open and close. The Alu Cab Shadow Awning appears to be more robust and easier to setup and breakdown. Other than those two things they seem equal in most other areas.

Are there any advantages of the Stealth over the Expedition 3 that I am missing? Has anyone used or seen both that could provide a firsthand experience.

rshuckfinn

Adventurer
The stealth has more room in the foot box. It lifts up vs the Alu Cab which is a wedge. For me personally though I’d choose the Alu Cab because it has a roof rack. Would be great for attaching a kayak or solar pannels.

NudeLobster

I was comparing both heavily. I appreciate the spring poles sewn into the entrance awning on the Stealth. I really wish They carried that over to their Blade (wedge) tent. If they did, I could be convinced to go Blade over Alucab.

In the end, I eliminated the stealth for one reason. I do not find the extra feet room valuable enough to deal with the scissor mechanisms in front. In the Demo video by Equipt, he makes explicit mention to ensure no canvas is caught up in the scissor mechanisms while you close it. it adds a (admittedly) small extra step in take down that I felt was more hassle than it was worth. Alucab and other wedges is single position closing from the rear.

Stealth, you have to pull down on rear, get down off your truck, hop back up on front right, tuck and check right side scissors, then hop down, walk around, hop up front left, tuck and check left scissors, then latch front left, hop down, walk around, jump up, latch front right, jump down, then return to your original position at the back to latch the rear.

Alucab (or eeziawn Blade) you just pull down on the rear and latch. then I chose Alucab over Blade for simple fact that it has the bungee to suck canvas in as you close so you don't have to do the run around tucking canvas before you latch. Those 20 seconds mean a lot in a raining down pour, IMO.

also, Alucab is a pretty uniform height with a lot of internal storage. The Eezi-awn aluminum tents have very low fronts, but (relatively) taller backs, so your overhead clearance is not improved, yet it looks like the eezi-awn tent you'd have to stuff all your thick winter bedding, pillows, etc in the raised bubble area on the back. The Alucab is uniform thickness and looks like you can store thick winter bedding as the bed is made, rather than folding it up in the rear.

Food for thought.

coledudley

Observer
I've been using a Stealth for about 14 months and have also wheeled with friends who have an Alucab (I also owned a James Baroud for a while). Ultimately, it'd be hard to go wrong with either.

Stealth > Alucab
* Sleek, attractive design
* Ladder stored below tent instead of within tent (possibly my favorite feature)
* Mattress is slightly thicker
* Overall quality of canvas, hardware, and components (though not by that much)
* More height at the forward end of the tent (nice for dogs)

Alucab > Stealth
* Alucab not as heavy as the Stealth
* More usable interior storage pockets
* Seems to handle a bit more interior storage / bedding
* Wide variety of options for mounting stuff on the tops and sides of tent
* More room for sitting up for changing clothes, etc. due to the geometry

Stealth = Alucab
* Interior darkness
* Set up / break down time (keeping the fabric out of the scissor lift is really not a big deal on the Stealth)... both tents go up in less than 30 seconds and down in less than 60
* Enough interior storage for a couple sleeping bags or down duvet and pillows
* Mounting options to roof rack

Overall, I'd recommend the Stealth for looks and simplicity or the Alucab for functionality. Both will get you what you want in ease of setup and comfort.

harpersJK

I went back and forth between the (2) also, but I couldn't pass up the Black Friday deal on the Stealth for $3500 with free shipping. I do know the new 2019 model adds the following:
  • Hook & Loop Solid & Mesh Panel Management
  • Internal Storage Pockets
  • National Luna LED Light on Interior Roof
  • 12V Power Supply Socket (Supply Cord Included)
  • USB power connection inside
Mine hopefully will be showing up this month and I can give you more detail when it arrives.

Randy

kwilkins

I went back and forth between the (2) also, but I couldn't pass up the Black Friday deal on the Stealth for $3500 with free shipping. I do know the new 2019 model adds the following:
  • Hook & Loop Solid & Mesh Panel Management
  • Internal Storage Pockets
  • National Luna LED Light on Interior Roof
  • 12V Power Supply Socket (Supply Cord Included)
  • USB power connection inside
Mine hopefully will be showing up this month and I can give you more detail when it arrives.

Randy

Thanks to all for sharing your experience and insight. It does seem like both will be very good RTT's. Right now I'm leaning towards the Alu-Cab because I really like the shadow awning and being able to attach it to the RTT. I plan on having a hoist in my garage to remove the RTT and leave it hang from the ceiling when I'm not using it. Having the awning attached to the Alu Cab makes this setup very attractive to me.

Randy, can you tell me what the "Hook & Loop Solid & Mesh Panel Management" is?

harpersJK

I'm not sure what the "Hook & Loop solid & mesh panel management system" is yet, I know it's new this year. As soon as my tent arrives, I'll give you an update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne