Recovery thoughts, ideas, advice

MOguy

Explorer
Sure, can't help everyone all the time, but I am surprised to see this many people in a mainly off-road forum about being prepared and equipped

My everyday cars (2019 Camry and 2016 Scion) are not properly equipped just almost everyone else you encounter when you are traveling on the road. If my son, friend or whoever was stuck in my Camry or Scion I probably would not even tow out my own car.

My tow hooks and winch sit much higher on my jeep than anything I could hook to on my cars. Even if nothing else is wrong the cosmetic damage I could do to my cars would cost more and take more time to fix than simply calling a tow truck.

I always stop, I will take them some place if needed or were they can make a call. I will bring them gas, I just don't want anybody hurt or to jack up some ones car.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My everyday cars (2019 Camry and 2016 Scion) are not properly equipped just almost everyone else you encounter when you are traveling on the road. If my son or who ever was stuck in my Camry or Scion I probably would not even tow out my own car.

My tow hooks and winch sit much higher on my jeep than anything I could hook to on my cars. Even if nothing else is wrong the cosmetic damge I could do to my cars would cost more and take more time to fix than simply calling a tow truck.

Zero guarantee that the tow truck isn't going to cause the same damage, and they don't pay for it if they do. It is accepted risk. You MIGHT be able to file an insurance claim.
I don't understand the not being prepared to take care of your self regardless of the vehicle .....or not helping other people thing.
I guess that just isn't how I am wired, I like being as self sufficient as practical and help as many people as I can.

MOguy

Explorer
Some Yaktrax on your feet, a little sand, and a shovel will get many people going. Trying that before a tow makes sense to me.
If a tow is required, you'll have had some time to think about doing it yourself while shoveling & shoving.
If it's in a dangerous spot, the best you can do may be to call for help and not get tangled up in it yourself.

I think that's a reasonable, simple, and safe policy for all involved.

I had a guy delivering furniture to my home get his pick truck stuck at my place. A little kitty litter was all he needed. I have used a floor mat also. Dollar general sells cat litter for a buck a bag. I keep some around. I should but some in my car, I will get some on the way home.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Once some folks pick a course of action or position on a topic, they won't consider any compromise. Its both ridiculous and unfortunate. In my experience the majority of people will not outright ignore someone in need of help, assuming they could safely provide it.

There are those who lack empathy for others. I find these people are often the same ones who refuse to accept help when in need. Interestingly they are most often men. Odd.

MOguy

Explorer
Zero guarantee that the tow truck isn't going to cause the same damage, and they don't pay for it if they do. It is accepted risk. You MIGHT be able to file an insurance claim.
I don't understand the not being prepared to take care of your self regardless of the vehicle .....or not helping other people thing.
I guess that just isn't how I am wired, I like being as self sufficient as practical and help as many people as I can.

How do you prepare a car that sits 4 inches off the ground with nothing but plastic around the bottom? If I could get a new reliable Toyota that go 35- 40mpg per gallon with metal bumpers I would but you can't.

Have the tow guy do it, they can usually get under the tires and lift it as opposed to a strap or cable ripping it up. I have a cell phone, water, blanket, insurance with road side assistance and towing. I watch the weather and don't go places when it gets bad. Im prepared.

I am so prepared I don't have to rely on strangers passing by to pull me out.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Once some folks pick a course of action or position on a topic, they won't consider any compromise. Its both ridiculous and unfortunate. In my experience the majority of people will not outright ignore someone in need of help, assuming they could safely provide it.

There are those who lack empathy for others. I find these people are often the same ones who refuse to accept help when in need. Interestingly they are most often men. Odd.

Nobody here said they wouldn't help someone.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
How do you prepare a car that sits 4 inches off the ground with nothing but plastic around the bottom? If I could get a new reliable Toyota that go 35- 40mpg per gallon with metal bumpers I would but you can't.

Have the tow guy do it, they can usually get under the tires and lift it as opposed to a strap or cable ripping it up. I have a cell phone, water, blanket, insurance with road side assistance and towing. I watch the weather and don't go places when it gets bad. Im prepared.

I am so prepared I don't have to rely on strangers passing by to pull me out.

Adding good recovery points would be a place to start. Lots of Subaru's around here do the rally type parts that are painted red or whatever.
Next I would suggest a core tool and an MV50 air compressor. Airing down the tires helps, even in a car. That has gotten me out of more bad weather issues when riding with friends than anything.
A set of tire chains/cables that can be put on with the vehicle not moving. I like the V or Diamond style Rud products.
A shovel, try to find one that can fit under as much of the vehicle as practical. I've made a few other the years for friends by cutting/chopping off the shelf units.

Heck. A little ATV winch setup on a bridle with some battery jumper cables isn't THAT crazy these days.

I agree with not going out on the roads when you aren't comfortable.

Personally, I don't like waiting/planning on a tow truck to come help me, especially on days where there are going likely be dozens of other needs for that truck ( and some of those potentially a lot more critical with people hurt or trapped in vehicles ). I like being self-sufficient when at all practical.

A tow truck, especially if you have gone off the road in the snow, is not going to pull up to your vehicle and use his lift. He is going to run a winch line out to you while he stays high and dry on the pavement. He is going to hook on with a strap, chain, or hook to whatever he can find. If it doesn't have a recovery point, he is going to take a big steel hook and grab the biggest part of the suspension or frame he can. Then he is going to yard your vehicle back up onto the road through that 2 feet of snow and ice. When it gets up to the road THEN he will put it on the lift, or the deck, and take it to where you want if you don't want to drive it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Adding good recovery points would be a place to start. Lots of Subaru's around here do the rally type parts that are painted red or whatever.
People over think this. Both cars we have ('02 Jetta and '17 Forester) included tow hooks. You'll see small squares in the front and rear bumpers. Those are lids covering places in the chassis to screw those in. They are probably in a small tool tray on the spare tire, where ever the jack and stuff is.

s-l1000.jpg

IMG_1435.JPG

It ain't rocket surgery after all.

outback11towhook1.JPG

MOguy

Explorer
Adding good recovery points would be a place to start. My Jeep has them. there is an eyelet for the Camry and a hook in the back for the Scion and road side assistance. Lots of Subaru's around here do the rally type parts that are painted red or whatever. I could probably help a Subaru.
Next I would suggest a core tool and an MV50 air compressor. I have an MV50 in my Jeep and floor mats work great, I have husky lines and used them this way before .Airing down the tires helps, even in a car. Yep That has gotten me out of more bad weather issues when riding with friends than anything.
A set of tire chains/cables that can be put on with the vehicle not moving. I like the V or Diamond style Rud products.
A shovel, try to find one that can fit under as much of the vehicle as practical. I've made a few other the years for friends by cutting/chopping off the shelf units.

Heck. A little ATV winch setup on a bridle with some battery jumper cables isn't THAT crazy these days.

I agree with not going out on the roads when you aren't comfortable.

Personally, I don't like waiting/planning on a tow truck to come help me, especially on days where there are going likely be dozens of other needs for that truck ( and some of those potentially a lot more critical with people hurt or trapped in vehicles ). I like being self-sufficient when at all practical.

A tow truck, especially if you have gone off the road in the snow, is not going to pull up to your vehicle and use his lift. He is going to run a winch line out to you while he stays high and dry on the pavement. He is going to hook on with a strap, chain, or hook to whatever he can find. If it doesn't have a recovery point, he is going to take a big steel hook and grab the biggest part of the suspension or frame he can. Then he is going to yard your vehicle back up onto the road through that 2 feet of snow and ice. When it gets up to the road THEN he will put it on the lift, or the deck, and take it to where you want if you don't want to drive it. Exactly.

Agreeded!

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
People over think this. Both cars we have ('02 Jetta and '17 Forester) included tow hooks. You'll see small squares in the front and rear bumpers. Those are lids covering places in the chassis to screw those in. They are probably in a small tool tray on the spare tire, where ever the jack and stuff is.

View attachment 561420

It ain't rocket surgery after all.

View attachment 561419

I have worked with these, they work fine. These are suitable tow points. I wouldn't want to get a running start to yank someone out with them or pull hard sideways. My Camry has this, my scion has the little cut outs but just the Styrofoam behind them. it has a tow point in the back.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
1579028597861.png

Though if you have never had to pull something with something else, and you are shaken up a bit, it may be impossible to even consider reading the owners manual in the glove box...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have worked with these, they work fine. These are suitable tow points. I wouldn't want to get a running start to yank someone out wit them. My Camry has this, my scion has the little cut outs but just the Styrofoam behind them. it has a tow point in the back.
They are designed to do the exact same function as the tow hooks on a Jeep or Toyota or whatever truck so the exact same caveats apply. Whatever the manufacturer puts on there will be strong enough to handle the car's weight being pulled onto a tow truck or similar and that's all you can assume. IOW I'd consider or not a dynamic recovery on those as any other stock tow point.

shade

I have worked with these, they work fine. These are suitable tow points. I wouldn't want to get a running start to yank someone out with them or pull hard sideways.
I wouldn't want anyone to get a running start to yank (excepting a KRR), or pull hard sideways on much of any vehicle's tow point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94