Red_5's Conqueror Axle swap & other upgrades

red_5

Adventurer
I've been thinking brakes would be a good idea since getting the Compact.

Having a loaded trailer pushing my tow rig down some steep, winding, gravel/mud/snow cover trail isn't my idea of a good time. Same with hauling the whole rig down from highway speeds in any kind of hurry.

So.... Earlier in the week I talked to a local steel/fabrication shop about building me an axle with 3500lb spindles and electric brakes. "No problem, just bring us the original axle so there's no guesswork on the dimensions."

That evening, I yanked the original axle in about 20 minutes using air tools:

Conqueroraxleswap3.jpg

The next day, it was off to the fabricator to drop it off.

24hrs later, I returned with the new, braked axle and gave it a couple coats of Krylon:

Conqueroraxleswap4.jpg

Another 30 minutes of wrench time:

Conqueroraxleswap.jpg

And back out of dry dock:

Conqueroraxleswap2.jpg

Something to note: the 'guide plates' for the rear of the leaf springs are what I'd call a wear item and somewhat on the thin side. On my trailer, they were clamped down pretty tight on the tail of the leaf spring causing some binding. There is obvious wear on the plates at the contact points as well, so I'll be replacing these with new parts made of heavier gauge steel at some point.

Tomorrow I'll be installing the brake controller and wiring, a charging circuit and relay for the trailer battery and wiring up the backup lights on the trailer.

:safari-rig:

Oh, and we bought a fridge the previous weekend:

DometicFridge.jpg

Dometic CF-80AC from Camping World in Rocklin, CA (88 miles away). They were in fact the ONLY shop I could find that stocked ANY portable fridges within reasonable driving distance of Chico.

Local shops could order it, but wanted to charge significant freight and a significant restock fee if I didn't take it for any reason (Didn't fit for example, though I was 99% sure it would).

Why This particular fridge? I liked the features, needed the large size, Dometic/Waeco are an established brand, and store within driving distance had it in stock so I could put my hands on it and verify the fit before handing over the hard earned loot.

I also called Dometic and asked them a crapload of questions three different times and they were very friendly and helpful each time.

I did have to modify the fridge slide a bit by making a plywood 'floor' for it so the fridge would sit flush with the top of the slide (the fridge base is about 10mm deeper front-back than the slide). Width is perfect. I glued indoor/outdoor carpet to the floor for traction.

I also made up some hold-downs using 1/4" turnbuckles and battery "J" bolt kits. along with some goofy washers that look like little snowmen that I found at a local hardware store. bolted four of these to the fridge using the handle mount points. I then bolted two to the rear (back of trailer) of the slide by replacing the original flat washer on the slide mounting bold. I had to drill two holes in the forward vertical part of the slide tray to install a couple of 1/4" eye bolts as tie-down points at the front.

The fridge is totally secure with the turnbuckles just finger tight. I did put a jamb nut on each one and used the rubber washer in the hold-down kits as bumpers in the event the fridge did manage to wiggle around at all.

And there it is.... what I did last week.... :coffeedrink:

Honu

lost on the mainland
very cool :) curious how much the axle ended up costing ? I am seriously thinking going this route so I know I can get wheel bearing parts here on the mainland vs trying to get them from South Africa

red_5

Adventurer
The whole deal ran about $400 assembled and ready to install. The axle itself wasn't very much, something like $180 to fabricate. The rest is tied up in parts.

Reasonable for a custom built turn-key setup I think.

I also picked up an extra set of bearings and seals to put into the spares bin *just in case*. Not many parts stores in a few of the locations we've visited... :p

Aside from readily available parts, having brakes of any kind on the Compact will be a big bonus.

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
thanks ;) yeah for brakes :) lucky mine had them and I can say its nice to have them for sure

curious if you did the hubs to match your rig ?
not sure to me if it matters if wheels match as I am not going to be putting that big of tire on the trailer so wont matter ? but might be nice to match for looks ?

red_5

Adventurer
As luck would have it, the original hubs had the same bolt pattern as my tow rig. 6 bolt x 5.5 inch circle, so the hubs used on the new axle were the same pattern.

The trailer tires are 30x9.5x15 Federal MS351A/Ts and my tow rig is running 265x70x17 Mud Rovers. They're close enough to be interchangeable in a pinch.

Eventually, I'd like to get 3 more wheels like I have on the truck and run the same wheel/tire all the way around. Finding good XTerra SE/SC wheels at a reasonable cost is a challenge though.

:ylsmoke:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I was discussing this exact sort of swap with Mario at Overland Expo 2010; I'm sure you're going to like it and am totally jealous that you beat me to it.
Something came up recently that's draining my bank account but this upgrade is on my list.

Very well done.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Nice upgrade.....promote's hair growth!!

Nothing scarier than bearing down on something wishing you had some brake...and knowing it's not there...:Wow1:

Very resonably priced peace of mind

Good luck and happy camping

Pat

red_5

Adventurer
I've been working furiously on wiring for the last 2 weekends and finally got it done.

I had to build a wire harness for the truck with a 10ga power, 12ga brake control and an extra wire for a lighting relay to power the rear facing lights on the roof rack.(no factory brake control wiring or charge wiring for the trailer). I ran it through the firewall and parallel the truck's wire harness inside the pass compartment. All protected by circuit breakers @ the battery.

That was a real chore.

The 10ga is hot all the time, and I'm using a TOAD Charger installed at the rear of the truck (rather than on the trailer), taking power off the 10ga lead and protected by it's own 15A circuit breaker, from there to the 7-way trailer connector. I chose this option for two reasons A)It's automagic, sensing charging voltage on the vehicle side to turn it on B)It's deep cycle friendly, limiting charge current to 10A. On the trailer side, I installed a 2 wire harness directly to the battery.

The brake controller lead goes directly to the 7-way connector. On the trailer side, this is connected to the wire I built for the electric brakes (which work great and made a huge difference in hauling the rig down from any speed). I'm using a Prodigy brake controller.

Additionally, I tapped the reverse light lead at the rear of the truck and wired that into the vehicle side 7-way connector. I also replaced the amber marker lights at the back of the trailer with clear units and utilized a free blue wire inside the trailer harness to connect to the 7-way. Now I have back-up lights on the trailer.

Since I no longer have fog lights on the truck, I rewired my forward-facing rack mounted Hellas to that circuit so that they are controlled by the factory fog light switch now, freeing up the dash mounted rocker switch for the rear overheads

Finally, at the rear of the truck, I wired up a relay for the rear overhead lights (a pair of old IPF's I had kicking around), again taking power through a fuse from the 10ga lead to the relay. I wired the the exciter lead of the relay to the wire I'd added to the harness for that purpose, then ran the power lead up to the rack. Presto! 110 watts of rear-facing illumination on demand.

Then it was off to Sears for the Platinum Marine battery, which seems to be the best deal going right now for that type of thing. Mounting was a challange, but I came up with a home engineered solution involving some garage dev insulators and battery 'bump-stops'.... lol

No WIP progress pics, but I'll post up a couple of the results soon as I take 'em.

Romer

Adventurer
Looks great. Nothing like personalizing your trailer and vehicles to make them truly yours:victory:

red_5

Adventurer
Busy indeed!

Did a major upgrade to the towing end of the trailer. The coupler arrangement was making me a little nervous with the trailer fully loaded, so I unbolted the mount plate and scrambled over to the fabricator, who was kind enough to build a bolt-on replacement built of .375 steel plate (roughly 3X what the original bit is) with a 2" receiver tube welded to it. The Original coupler is plenty stout, so I retained that for the time being attached to a short draw bar the fabricator built for me.

The whole setup is exponentially stronger than original and I can remove/swap the coupler as needed.

I had to extend the wiring to the truck due to the slightly longer reach so I mounted a waterproof junction box on the frame rail under the nose box and ran the OE harness to that and built a new harness for the connection to the truck.

Just back from a 2500 mile trip to Colorado and back, basically living out of the trailer for the last 2 weeks, so I'll have to post up pics once i sort through them.

:sombrero:

XJBANKER

Explorer
awesome I almost started to work on that yesterday but I decided it is going to have to wait for a while because I want a max coupler as well.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Just back from a 2500 mile trip to Colorado and back, basically living out of the trailer for the last 2 weeks, so I'll have to post up pics once i sort through them.

:sombrero:
How'd you like the trip and living out of the trailer?
We find that you develop a rhythm after 2 days and can set/break camp remarkably fast. It was easy to make 550 interstate miles a day and still stop early enough to relax.

red_5

Adventurer
At last... a couple pics of the new hitch. Been slow going getting these together as I've had rather limited time to sort through them.

The new plate and receiver tube. The two 10"x1.5"x.25" plates in the background are 'frame stiffeners' that I made up to fit inside the frame rails. When it's bolted in place, the trailer frame is sandwiched between the new tow plate and these plates.

Conquerorhitchupgrade006Large.jpg

Conquerorhitchupgrade007Large.jpg

I plan to upgrade to a Max Coupler at some point in the future as well, but for the short term and being able to tow with a regular ball as well, I had this made up:

Conquerorhitchupgrade008Large.jpg

The safety chains are secured to trailer spring shackle plates, and my breakaway switch is mounted to one of the bolts securing the jockey wheel jack guide plate.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior