Redeth's Overland Trailer Build

Redeth005

Adventurer
With the holidays an much rain we have had over the past few months I've received so much call and overtime at the hospital that i work for that my trailer project has just been on the back burner for quite a while.
Maybe now that the weather has been starting to clear and work has finally slowed i'll finally manage to get some sort of work done on the trailer. This past weekend was the first day i was able to get a few hours in for nearly 5 months!

I worked on bending some tube for some light duty sliders/steps. which will also double up as a surface to mount the fenders on to along with he tail lights, license plate holder, and 12"x18" mudflaps. I did not finish fabricating them but i did manage to get the bends perfectly made with the cheapie harbor freight tube bender. I wanted a reasonable thickness to be able to handle a bit of banging but the trailer wont see too much of a difficult time on the trail so i didn't want to go too thick like 3/16". But i also didn't want to use 16 or 18 gauge wither because that's still really thin so i went with a 1/8" thick. round tube.

I did not finish making the sliders because i began getting late. We are expecting a clear sunny weekend this week so I'm really hoping to get the sliders and fenders made. and installed finally and if time allows me to i'll make the mounts for mud flaps and mount those too.

Last edited:

Redeth005

Adventurer
Good to see this guy is still progressing!

Thank you. I don intend to abandon he build. I have way too much invested into it to give up. lol We've just had too much rain over the past few months t hat hasn't allowed me to work on it.

Redeth005

Adventurer
Better then me. We're deep I snow. Any work on mine needs to wait until spring.
Oh man lol that's one heck of a long time to wait around haha. Kinda makes you wish you had a large shop or garage to work on it huh? I know I sure as heck with I had something. Heck even a large sheet metal shade would be super nice to have. It's sunny outside today, and tomorrow we're supposed to have 100% chance of showers. Saturday it's supposed to be gloomy/clearing up. Sunday is supposed to be sunny. If the weather isn't too damp maybe I'll be able to get some welding done on this build this weekend.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I can if I REALLY wanted do, but it's a lot of running around for nothing. It's stored at an old garage (with no heat) that my mother-in-law still has access to, but to actually work on it, I'd use her actual garage, but as per her conditions, no major projects in the winter, only repairs, so she can park her car in it. No argument, her garage, her call. But she lives about 50 minutes away. It's much running around and fuel burned.

I'm actually working it. We're looking for a house at the moment, and a condition is a garage, or a place to build/expand it (and enough money left to do exact that). Mind you too, I live in Quebec now, and out winters like to average below -20 and -30 Celcius (so -22*F and below, this year we're averaging much "warmer", but means we're getting hammered with snow, which I love!) so I'd need heat and insulation in the garage for sure. I also want room to store away my Rx-8 at my own place instead at an hour and a half away (but the price is great compared to locally, but it's still time to do it) and while I wouldn't do much work on the trailer (probably still cheat and store it at the M-I-L), but I'd like to be able to give the Rx-8 some TLC over the winter. There's one house we really like, but need to get them to drop the price to be able to work on the garage, redo/locate the stairs (cause they're borderline dangerous) and also work on a second bathroom cause the main and only is SMALL. So we have another house or two to look at next week, but after that, we might put in an offer on that one.

Redeth005

Adventurer
Well in making these sliders i have learned i hate notching tube lol especially if the attachment points are not exactly at 90° angles but instead meeting on a tube going at an angle like these sliders are. by the 2nd set of attachment points i was already good at making them. but they're still a huge pain in the a*s to make. we had to stop making the sliders for today because my hole saw accidentally jumped the tube and got caught into my girls right arm getting caught on her sweater. we're lucky she had a sweater because that's what the hole saw grabbed onto instead of her actual skin. her arm is a bit bruised from where it hit but she's gonna be okay. i feel so guilty though.

Tomorrow's another day. We're expecting it to be nice and sunny outside. I should have both sliders welded together and actually mounted on the trailer. If i get lucky enough to have spare time maybe i'll start working on the fenders and the mudflap mounts.*

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Great build, with good content Thanks for posting links to some of the products you are using. I am planning on setting mine up with solar and it is nice to see how you are putting yours together.

Redeth005

Adventurer
Here i had just tacked together the first set of sliders. Managed to weld everything together and permanently mount them to the chassis. I primed them for the mean time to prevent surface rust. Next weekend I'll start on the fenders.

It is coming along nicely. These sliders were pretty difficult for me to make. I applaud fabricators; bending tube and notching has definitely proven to be a challenge for me.

Redeth005

Adventurer
Great build, with good content Thanks for posting links to some of the products you are using. I am planning on setting mine up with solar and it is nice to see how you are putting yours together.

You're welcome. I figured those links would come in handy for some people. I always have questions about where people buy things, prices etc. So id just rather get it over with then constantly having to re-look up everything and constantly explain myself over and over again ya know. glad you're enjoying the build buddy.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
You have me re-thinking several things, especially my heat source. I was going to use a wave 3. until I saw your heat exchange and the videos you posted. I was planning on have several vents and alarms to insure our safety, but after seeing your video I also followed several other Vid's comparing heat sources. and made me realize the advantages of a heat exchange over the a catalytic heat source. My trailer will be similar to a tear drop so humidity would be an issue.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer

ahh "the kinker"

Bending tubes is never easy with this tool, making a matched pair is a bigger challenge

That's because the bender you are using if for schedule 40 black iron PIPE.

Tubing is much too thin wall to bend without kinking using that bender.

I have one of those harbor freight benders too. But it's used for pipe.
My JD2ed bender is what I build roll cages out of.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JD2-Model-3-Bender-Tube-Pipe-upgradeable-to-hydraulic-/272556990862
The benders aren't that expensive, but collecting all the dies for the different sized tubing is where you empty you wallet.

And I understand that when one doesn't plan to do tubing bending for a living, or Serious Hobby, it's hard to justify $3000 + to play around in the shop. So don't sweet if they have some kinking in them. You aren't putting you life on the line with them.
Just don't use the Pipe Bender to build roll cages

What wall thickness are you bending?

Redeth005

Adventurer
That's because the bender you are using if for schedule 40 black iron PIPE.

Tubing is much too thin wall to bend without kinking using that bender.

I have one of those harbor freight benders too. But it's used for pipe.
My JD2ed bender is what I build roll cages out of.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JD2-Model-3-Bender-Tube-Pipe-upgradeable-to-hydraulic-/272556990862
The benders aren't that expensive, but collecting all the dies for the different sized tubing is where you empty you wallet.

And I understand that when one doesn't plan to do tubing bending for a living, or Serious Hobby, it's hard to justify $3000 + to play around in the shop. So don't sweet if they have some kinking in them. You aren't putting you life on the line with them.
Just don't use the Pipe Bender to build roll cages

What wall thickness are you bending?

Well that explains ALOT thanks for sharing he link to that bender. I do like the that it has a guage so you know what degree you are bending to. i wish i would have bought the correct bender for the job from the start.
Btw i am using 1/8" thick tube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne