Regular cab short bed 1/2 tons

WIth Chevy recently announcing they're bringing theirs back, and Ford still offering theirs - for a billy goat of a rig, what's the consensus on say, a 2017/2018 Silverado/F150 - leveled/lifted 2", on 35s.

Since currently the only adventuring I do is day and or weekend type trips, and it's just me ( maybe a +1 but never more than that ) the crew cabs aren't necessary - that, and full size really do limit what trails are available to use, esp in the southeaster US ( I've missed out on rallies before in the past because I had an F250 that literally could not fit width wise )

Some examples below

1638821348746.png
1638821364626.png

Honestly from research, the most limiting factor is of course any in-cabin space, and you aren't really going to have a roof rack. On the flipside your wheelbase is a LOT smaller.

Jacobm

The Fords use the same cab shell for F150s and Superdutys, so anywhere a 3/4 ton won't fit, a 1/2 ton won't either. It's also hard to get them with any sort of towing or payload package, so you're almost to midsize territory on those numbers too. That said I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a clean, 2000-2006 GMC 1500 RCSB 4x4. I've never owned a pickup truck that wasn't a total crapbox so I think it'd be fun to have one.

billiebob

Quad cabs are great family vehicles, period. If you don't have more than 1 passenger on a regular basis I fail to see why you would want one. We had a 1979 F250 Crewcab for 12 years. Best family vehicle ever then the kids headed to college and I started buying Wranglers, removing the backseat and putting in a dog bed.

This is the only picture in 12 years of driving it. Things, priorities were much different 40 years ago.

F250 CC.jpeg

I did a lot of work from construction camps and my wife had the family Honda Accord Station Wagon. But for work the backseat was a complete waste.

The regular cab coming back is long overdue. As an overlander I'd take a regular cab long box any day over a quad cab crewcab. The backseat with 2 people is a complete waste. A regular cab with an 8' service body is way more practical.... like what the rest of the world overlands in.

Last edited:
Quad cabs are great family vehicles, period. If you don't have more than 1 passenger on a regular basis I fail to see why you would want one. We had a 1979 F250 Crewcab for 12 years. Best family vehicle ever then the kids headed to college and I started buying Wranglers, removing the backseat and putting in a dog bed.

This is the only picture in 12 years of driving it. Things, priorities were much different 40 years ago.

View attachment 696076

I did a lot of work from construction camps and my wife had the family Honda Accord Station Wagon. But for work the backseat was a complete waste.

The regular cab coming back is long overdue. As an overlander I'd take a regular cab long box any day over a quad cab crewcab. The backseat with 2 people is a complete waste. A regular cab with an 8' service body is way more practical.... like what the rest of the world overlands in.

Honestly, a utility truck always struck me as a perfect out of the box overland vehicle - throw on a RTT and you have all the storage compartments already lol

billiebob

Given the results of auctions where any old truck customized to a quadcab gets double the price of a regular cab..... it is doubtful the single cab will be more than a fringe vehicle.

Heres a crewcab Bronco.... 1979 flavour sold for $196,000.00

1979_ford_bronco_1636137850bc798a41979FordBroncoRedWht_S70483W-189.jpg

I'm betting single cab pickups sell as well as 2 door Wranglers.

mannytranny

Observer
Bought this 2001 F150 a few years ago for farm work. Absolutely love it. So much that when the 5.4 developed a small repairable problem I immediately opted to yank that motor and swap in a 3.5/6R80. I never suspected that would turn it into the fastest thing I own, but I'm not complaining! Long live the RC/SB!!!coLPlrOQRWmKVHvMipkjcA.jpg

Last edited:

(none)

Adventurer
They are the best looking trucks. Too bad the option packages are so weird on them. No 3,5tt in a single cab short bed from ford. No heavy duty tow package, etc. Also wish they had sliding back windows...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Ditto, I am really digging my single cab. While it's a 1-ton diesel long box I bought it for similar reasons, I wanted the utility of the larger bed and I didn't need the extra interior space as it's just the two of us and I am usually solo 90% of the time. Cab's on these newer trucks are similar if not identical between the half-tons and the HD's so size isn't in your favor with the half-ton so you might as well step up to the HD and get the better towing and payload numbers and the stronger drivetrain will be an added plus. I look forward to seeing how mine works on some narrower trails in the future.

voGNMSt.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
Something that people seem not to understand is that it's dealerships who decide what people buy.

Dealership is a business. They don’t want a parking lot full of trucks in December (present time excluded).
Buyer trends direct dealerships what to order.

phsycle

Adventurer
? Ok. How many single, empty nesters, or non-reproducing folks do you know who want a singlecab? I know zero. Neighbors, extended family, friends, etc. Anecdotal, but seriously, nobody wants one. Why do you think Jeep (wrangler) sales exploded once the 4 door version came out? Or how about the Tacoma when the 4 Door came out in 2001?

Must be a lot of vain folks out there. ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior