Rejuvination of the 110

Blair G

Adventurer
72055650.2rNM4HWW.defender.jpg

Hey all,
Well winter is here and the 110 is coming inside for a little redo. The truck is basiclly in good shape and was well taken care of by the previous owner. Since I got her I have replaced the old springs and bushings with OME's and put a new set of tyres on her. replaced the Roo bar that was intalled in Australia with a winch bumper. Also, got a new bonnet to replace the one that had been used as a step stool to get to the roof rack. The gentlemen who had her before, used her as she was supposed to be used. He lived/travelled for many years travelling through Austrailia, North America ,and through Europe. The back was setup with a sleeping platform with all the spares underneath the platform. One flourecent lamp provided light for the truck. He installed velcro on the passenger side window that attached mosquito netting. He also added a homemade sideswing rear door top. With this he added expanded metal and mosquito netting to keep the bugs and thieves at bay while sleeping.
All in all, this guy did what most of us dream about. The thing I appreciate probably the most is how simple he did it. Not a whole bunch extra crap he didn't need or overloaded with equipment that he never used. So keeping these things in mind I will attempt to take the 110 into the next phase of its life.
An incomplete list of things todo are:
-full service
-new rubber throught the truck. Land Rovers have never been known for there seals. The picture shows the Land Rover test animal used to test a vehicles seal( Land Rover Joke)
-add side windows to van sides. A must for merging onto the freeway with a RHD truck
-add forward facing seat for kids w/belts
-interior roll bar
-rear storage draws w/refer slide
-new front seats and mats
-add a regular rear door.
-repaint top
-and if I can find a decent priced 200 Tdi to replace the 2.5td lump I will do that as well.

I think that list is quite enough. If anybody has any comments or suggestions feel free to comment.
Have a merry Christmas and hope to see people in the new year,
Blair

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Ummm... You might want to put let the cat out as #1 on your list of things to do.

I know I have seen that Rover before too! Just can't remember where. I love it! Keep us posted with the build up.

Blair G

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
Ummm... You might want to put let the cat out as #1 on your list of things to do.

I know I have seen that Rover before too! Just can't remember where. I love it! Keep us posted with the build up.

You probably saw it in your neck of the woods. I think he spent some time your way.

Blair

ShearPin

Adventurer
Land Rover 110

Man, diggin' your Rover - infact your garage in general looks like a lot of fun. You've got your GS headlight and the Series Rover roof top against the wall in the background....

If you don't mind me taking your post off topic - how do you find the 2.5D on the US highways. With a growing family my long range plans are to semi-retire my Series III SWB from the long US/Mex hauls and use it for weekend camping etc. here in Canada. I've been saving and searching for an imported 110 and while my first choice has been a V8 the vast majority of Canadian imports (15 years or older import laws) appear to be 2.5D with some military heritage. I too am a fan of keeping accessories light and minimal.....

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

Blair G

Adventurer
ShearPin said:
Man, diggin' your Rover - infact your garage in general looks like a lot of fun. You've got your GS headlight and the Series Rover roof top against the wall in the background....

If you don't mind me taking your post off topic - how do you find the 2.5D on the US highways. With a growing family my long range plans are to semi-retire my Series III SWB from the long US/Mex hauls and use it for weekend camping etc. here in Canada. I've been saving and searching for an imported 110 and while my first choice has been a V8 the vast majority of Canadian imports (15 years or older import laws) appear to be 2.5D with some military heritage. I too am a fan of keeping accessories light and minimal.....

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

Henry,
Sorry for not seeing your post. The 2.5Td is Ok at this point. I don't have anything in it really and it does 65mph on the flat. Pulling grades is where the lack of power becomes an issue. So I slow down and enjoy the trip. I would love to find a 200Tdi to replace it. That is on my list. Also, like you, I have a family now. So I am tryng to make it a family camping vehicle as well. Being a 3 door is really the only limitation when it comes to loading kids and buckling them in. As my son is nearly 2 he is able to get into his seat on his own with me helping to buckle him in. My daughter won't be there for a couple more years so I need to come up with something.
Cheers,
Blair

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Blair that is a great-looking 110, and it sounds like you're on the right track for improving it.

If you find a 200tdi and the 2.5 needs a home, give me a call. It would drop nicely into Grendel.

Blair G

Adventurer
Jonathan Hanson said:
Blair that is a great-looking 110, and it sounds like you're on the right track for improving it.

If you find a 200tdi and the 2.5 needs a home, give me a call. It would drop nicely into Grendel.

I am in contact with a guy in the Bay area that has a couple of 200Tdi's. We will see what comes of it. Thanks for the offer but it will be kept for something down the road.

Blair

Blair G

Adventurer
progress

Well as always, things take longer then planned. However, over the weekend I managed to put the rear windows in the 110. What a huge difference. Just need to affix them and move on to the next project.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Blair

Last edited:

Michael Slade

Untitled
I think I know that 110 also. I believe I have a photograph of it up in Inuvik, NWT from a trip I did back in '99.

Very cool...keep it up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz