Removable Bug Screen for Truck Camping

StephBarnard

Hello. We are in the process of installing storage and a bed platform in the bed of our F250 (that has a Leer cap) for shorter camping trips. We want to fabricate removable bug screens so that we can keep the sliding side windows open as well as the back window flipped up and the tailgate down (for better air circulation). I've ordered noseeum mesh fabric but I'm still undecided as to the design. Making screens that go over the side windows doesn't seem that complicated. I'm basically thinking about hemming the mesh into a rectangle that is larger than the window itself and using velcro to affix the screen to the cap. My only concern is whether or not the sticky-type velcro will stay stuck to the fiberglass cap. Perhaps we should go with just the sew-on type of velcro and use some adhesive to glue the velcro to the fiberglass?

More complicated is designing a screen for the back. We're open to ideas. Thanks!

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I did the same project years ago. The sticky Velcro WILL stick to the fiberglass shell. But you need to use high quality (3M) sticky stuff and definitely use the 3M adhesive promoter. That stuff is very underrated in how much it improves adhesion in situations like that.

For the back, what I ended up doing is cut the mesh to roughly 2” larger than the opening and then sewing long, thin magnets into the hem.

Worked for me. Good luck.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi
We had sticky backed velcro on window surrounds, then non sticky velcro strip sewn onto the noseeum cut to window frame size. Don't try the sticky backed stuff in a sewing machine though, that's a nasty mess!

Rivers2run

Observer
Did mine with a spring rod on top so I could move aside. I made the screen material slightly so I could fold it back on the floor, magnets for closure.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 60

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles