Remove tent for CO DMV/State Patrol VIN inspection?

velosurreal

I purchased a Smittybilt Scout a couple of weeks ago, and in order to get registered with CO DMV, I first need to take it to State Patrol for a VIN inspection. They do this one day a week, and the earliest appointment is three weeks from now. In the meantime, I've been working on getting it all setup for camping. This included getting a few friends to help me lift and mount my Tepui 4 person tent.

I just noticed, the Smittybilt installation instructions say:

1. Finish assembly of your new Smittybilt SCOUT Trailer Kit.
See instruction manual.
2. Remove tent or awning, if necessary.
Remove or do not install a tent/awning on the SCOUT Trailer Kit prior to taking it to DMV.

3. Visit your local DMV.
Tell the DMV that you are registering a home built trailer.
4. Apply for a Vehicle Identification number (VIN).
Your local DMV may require:
 Purchase invoice
 Cash register receipt or bill of sale showing the purchase and retail sales tax or use tax collection
by the retailer.
 Make sure your receipts cover the trailer kit, tires and wheels, trailer brake controller, and any
other parts that were to be used with the construction of the trailer. (Keep all receipts for your
records).
5. Register/Title your SCOUT Trailer.
Once a VIN is assigned, you may have to register/title the trailer. Fill out the form for registration and
pay associated fees. There may be a separate fee of obtaining a title.

Why would Smittybilt suggest it? Anyone got eperience registering a trailer in CO with a RTT? I'd rather avoid the hassle of unmounting my tent, but if it's going to cause me to "fail" inspection then I'd rather not delay more!

I purchased a Smittybilt Scout a couple of weeks ago, and in order to get registered with CO DMV, I first need to take it to State Patrol for a VIN inspection. They do this one day a week, and the earliest appointment is three weeks from now. In the meantime, I've been working on getting it all setup for camping. This included getting a few friends to help me lift and mount my Tepui 4 person tent.

Why would Smittybilt suggest it? Anyone got eperience registering a trailer in CO with a RTT? I'd rather avoid the hassle of unmounting my tent, but if it's going to cause me to "fail" inspection then I'd rather not delay more!

I think without a tent it’s just a utility trailer and with a tent it becomes a camping trailer/rv type thing.

I know in CA, the utility trailer gets permanent plates, and the camper/ rv gets registered yearly.

I would agree. But depends what State you are dealing with
My trailers are "cargo trailers". Their camping accouterments are simply cargo and as such are not permanently installed.
That is can be easily unbolted/unplugged & lifted off.
Nothing is more patriotically American as Tax Cheating.

I agree, but I bet smittybilt put that into the paperwork for the reasons I mentioned. Which is what he asked.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Do you know if it might exceed 2,000 lbs with the tent? That's the maximum weight for a home built trailer here. Otherwise, not sure, perhaps because it becomes an RV instead of a utility trailer and is expected to therefore be manufactured with a VIN and title already?

ttengineer

Adventurer

I think without a tent it’s just a utility trailer and with a tent it becomes a camping trailer/rv type thing.

I know in CA, the utility trailer gets permanent plates, and the camper/ rv gets registered yearly.

Precisely why I am a Libertarian. Screw the government and their BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Having registered a homebuilt trailer in Colorado (El Paso County) I don't see why they would need the tent off there, they just check the trailer for function and receipts (and make sure it isn't stolen and being claimed as a "homebuilt") but as you say, it's one day a week and weeks out so I'd just suck it up and remove it to make sure you don't have to go again.

If you want to be stubborn and not remove it, nothing about my experience says it'll be an issue, so you should be just fine (unless they started weighting them now?).

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I registered my smitty in Nov 2017.
Assembled it and went to the state patrol in Junction.
As smitty said..... I left the rtt off and the trooper checked lights......asked what it was for. I said to haul my camping gear.
Signed the paperwork and went to the dmv.
Mesa county said $150 to plate it.
I said the max weight was 3300 pounds but empty was 1350.
Very friendly. I suppose it could have been more if it had a RTT on it..... dunno, but it was not going to facilitate that.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Whatever you need to do to keep it a “Utility” trailer and not an RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

velosurreal

Thanks all for the replies! I'm working on getting a couple buddies over to help take it off (230 lbs!) before my appointment. Worst case, I'll have to chance it. Really appreciate all the ideas. That Larimer site is helpful!

dreadlocks

Colorado does not distinguish from Utility vs RV, all trailers even my small 4x7 utility trailer has yearly registration.. Personally I'd just leave the tent on, it wont be a problem.

The State of Colorado titles and registers ALL trailers. Title applications for trailers have the same requirements as applications for other vehicles. Trailer MSOs that are not on secure paper are not acceptable with the following two exceptions: 1. Trailer MSOs from any person who only manufactures trailers that weigh less than two thousand pounds and does not manufacture any other type of motor vehicle. and/or 2. Trailer MSOs from any person, other than a manufacturer operating a dealership (or as a dealer) pursuant to section 12-6-120.5 C.R.S. who is a licensed dealer selling motor vehicles that such person has manufactured.
source: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/faqs-registration

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior