Removing mold/mildew from the *inside* of camper canvas

rockandroll

Adventurer
Hey all,

After living out of our Palomino Bronco pop-up for 15 months some mildew and mold is starting to stain the inside of our camper. We very seldom put her way wet so this seems to just have formed from poor ventilation while sleeping. We only have issues around the sleeping platform, especially in the corners.

Cleaning the outside is a cinch but the canvas from the inside is textured/rough. This makes it pretty difficult to get clean. We tried a mild bleach and warm water solution (applying it with a sponge) but only saw minimal improvement.

Here's a pic:

Photo1.jpg

Any suggestions?

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
I know it can be killed with freezing. I read a publication that used dry ice pellets in a media blasting setup to remove mold from a roof structure.

You could test a section with a keyboard cleaner (compressed CO2) turned upside down (sprays dry ice). You could blast the worst areas and brush it clean to see if it would work.

Past that you can use some TileX or other household mildew remover. but I do not know what it would do to the waterproofing of the canvas.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I have talked to FWC owners that have had good succuss with the Tilex to get rid of mold on older campers.

(I think they only used it on the soft sides "pop-up" portion of the camper)

Just make sure to do some small test areas first !

Most materials it is OK on.

Some materials it will "eat up".

:O

And make sure to get some fresh air if you are inside the camper for any amount of time.

The Tilex works great, but it is strong and not good to breathe for any amount of time.

forty2

Adventurer
A few years back I spent a couple years running crews doing insurance restoration work, a good portion of that being mold remediation. There are a lot of products we used during various stages of work but for mold alone, we killed it with a 10:1 water and bleach and cleaned up after with mild soap and water. If the walls of the FWC are bleach safe (I'm guessing they are with Stan bringing up Tilex), that's the route I'd recommend going.

*edit - Just remembered that OP is not in a FWC, but my reply still stands.

Last edited:

rockandroll

Adventurer
I have talked to FWC owners that have had good succuss with the Tilex to get rid of mold on older campers.

(I think they only used it on the soft sides "pop-up" portion of the camper)

Just make sure to do some small test areas first !

Most materials it is OK on.

Some materials it will "eat up".

:O

And make sure to get some fresh air if you are inside the camper for any amount of time.

The Tilex works great, but it is strong and not good to breathe for any amount of time.

Thanks Stan. You have done a 1,000% better job at helping me than Palomino. One day we'll take a FWC somewhere exotic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior