repair/restoration of 93 RR LWB

mbkot

Hello to all! I am new to vehicle repair/restoration. I have a 1993 Range Rover LWB, sitting in San Francisco, that I am interested to bring back to life. The truck has 26K original miles, but has not been used to about 10 years. Its being garaged for all this time and needs some work to be road worthy. It still on original tires, Michelins 244 (205/80R16), they show some side cracks and would need replacement, any recommendations for the tires and tire sizes?
I am looking for a good mechanic/shop in San Francisco, Bay Area, that can do the work on the RR. Appreciate any recommendation.
Thank you

John R

Hello to all! I am new to vehicle repair/restoration. I have a 1993 Range Rover LWB, sitting in San Francisco, that I am interested to bring back to life. The truck has 26K original miles, but has not been used to about 10 years. Its being garaged for all this time and needs some work to be road worthy. It still on original tires, Michelins 244 (205/80R16), they show some side cracks and would need replacement, any recommendations for the tires and tire sizes?
I am looking for a good mechanic/shop in San Francisco, Bay Area, that can do the work on the RR. Appreciate any recommendation.
Thank you

I’m keen to see a pic of your project if your happy to share.

mbkot

I’m keen to see a pic of your project if your happy to share.
2 pics from 14 years ago, and some from these days.

Attachments

• 27Nov04-002.JPG
    27Nov04-002.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 27Nov04-001.JPG
    27Nov04-001.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20180515_162507.jpg
    IMG_20180515_162507.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20180515_162659.jpg
    IMG_20180515_162659.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20180515_162605.jpg
    IMG_20180515_162605.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20180515_162541.jpg
    IMG_20180515_162541.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20180608_090350.jpg
    IMG_20180608_090350.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 30

luckyjoe

Adventurer
In addition to tires you’ll need every other consumable like fluids, belts, hoses, filters, etc. It appears to still be on EAS (Electronic Air Suspention), so I HIGHLY recommend you maintain this system and do NOT convert to coil springs. Chances are the EAS system will work but may leak, which will take some time checking connections and replacing o-rings. In my opinion, a RRC like this should only be on EAS. If you feel it’s getting too expensive to mess with please PM me!

A good stock replacement tire size is 225/75R16.

Tom P.

Last edited:

John R

Thinking about air suspension, I removed my coils and re-installed air bags in my D2 & I haven’t looked back. I found mine was leaking considerably at the valve block, but once I put a new one in I’ve had no issues with it leaking again. If it’s a valve block don’t muck around fixing it just replace it.

mbkot

Tom P., thanks for the tire size info, any brand you can recommend?

It was recently moved out and back into the garage (actually driving to the street, and then back to the garage). After installing a new battery, the RR started, the truck has risen. The brakes are shot, the fluid has probably dried out, but otherwise it drove uphill into the garage ok and the emergency brake is holding. Used "low" button to lower the suspension, so at least it seems that the EAS is working. As for leakage, it will be clear later. Driver seat is dead, the seat ECU probably has to be replaced.

The RR was purchased new in 93, and the EAS failed, i think, a year or 2 into its life. It was replaced/fixed under warranty by the dealer. I know that many people replaced the EAS, but some are going back, as i understand that the ride quality is different.

I am planning to keep everything stock.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I love EAS, just realize that 20+ year old bladders must be replaced! EAS is a fantastic system, and although this version was the pioneer of today’s systems, it rides beautifully and can be reliably set up. After acquiring my LWB I replace the air bladders, o-rings, dessicant, filter and plumbed-in manual air recovery lines (MARS). Should any part of the system fail I can disable the factory system, manually inflate each corner, and keep on driving.

Tire brands are more of a personal preference. For stock size street and occasional dirt you cannot go wrong with Michelin. I also like the Cooper brand...

John R

I went to the ‘air fitting store’ and created 2 of these (1 for each of the 2 rear airbags on the D2) and installed them in the airbag lines. They let me turn off air from the compressor and manually inflate the airbags in the event of compressor failure. The only change I’ve made since this pic was to change the end fittings from screw on olive style to push fittings - less chance of an air leak that was.

IMG_2875.JPG

I went to the ‘air fitting store’ and created 2 of these (1 for each of the 2 rear airbags on the D2) and installed them in the airbag lines. They let me turn off air from the compressor and manually inflate the airbags in the event of compressor failure. The only change I’ve made since this pic was to change the end fittings from screw on olive style to push fittings - less chance of an air leak that was.

View attachment 456382

Genius......we need these for the D3 and D4 as well. Added to the list of necessary mods!

Roverchef

Adventurer
Look into anything rubber(tires, hoses, etc) cause it is most likely dry rotted @ this point. Nice find! Good luck with the project.

mbkot

Look into anything rubber(tires, hoses, etc) cause it is most likely dry rotted @ this point. Nice find! Good luck with the project.

Well, its not an actual find. I purchased this RR new in 93, used it on and off, cause lived mostly overseas, till 2007. After that it was just garaged till now. Now time came to do something - restore and keep, or restore and sell.
Either way restore. The big problem is that i am still overseas :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz