Replace this axle?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You should be able to look up the spec for whatever axle that is and get an answer.

To answer your other question, you should save a significant amount of weight. Much thinner tube, no shafts, no differential housing, no differential, likely smaller spindle, brake drum, etc...

Alloy

I am not familiar with this setup. But when I looked at some electric only axles they were about $300. The electric over hydraulic only pump is $550, plus the cost of the axle, this assuming I have to replace the current axle, the electric over hydraulic gets expensive. What are the advantages of electric over hydraulic?

Apologies just came back from a 4 day trip.

If the hydraulic brakes work in the current axle there is no need to replace it.

You'll need to disconnect the brake line from the back of the surge coupler and connect the elec/hyd pump, a back up battery (or use the the battery in the trailer) and install a 7 way trailer plug on the trailer and possibly the tow vehicle.

Photobug

If the hydraulic brakes work in the current axle there is no need to replace it.

I don't think the current brakes work at least as not as configured. I am not sure adding electric over hydraulic will fix it.

Will probably go with a new electric axle, save weight, and start with a new known axle. It was 15 below this morning. It will likely be two months before it is warm enough to want to do this. Can anyone tell me what would be involved with this swap?

Alloy

I don't think the current brakes work at least as not as configured. I am not sure adding electric over hydraulic will fix it.

Will probably go with a new electric axle, save weight, and start with a new known axle. It was 15 below this morning. It will likely be two months before it is warm enough to want to do this. Can anyone tell me what would be involved with this swap?

Testing the brakes would be the place to start. Lift one at a time off the ground spin it then use a pry bar to activate the piston in the surge coupler.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4

It depends if you get an axle with the spring pads in the same location as your existing axle. If you can, it's just a matter of bolting the new axle in and wiring the trailer, and the tow vehicle for brakes. If you are getting a bare axle you will need to weld the spring pads to the axle. 8 lug axles are common.

Photobug

Testing the brakes would be the place to start. Lift one at a time off the ground spin it then use a pry bar to activate the piston in the surge coupler.

I bought it in the fall and delivered it home. Besides repositioning it around the driveway I have not moved it since. Based on my experience with surge brakes i will say the brakes do not work. On a sailboat with surge brakes I can feel the brakes locked up when i brake and then accelerate. Also when backing up the brakes get in the way. This coupler has a brake lock i was not able to get the pin in and it still was no problem backing it up. I can say with confidence the brakes don't work as is, but it is possible they could work with an electric hydraulic boost.

Photobug

It depends if you get an axle with the spring pads in the same location as your existing axle. If you can, it's just a matter of bolting the new axle in and wiring the trailer, and the tow vehicle for brakes. If you are getting a bare axle you will need to weld the spring pads to the axle. 8 lug axles are common.
Shouldn't be a problem, just bought myself a welder, I just have to learn to use it by the spring. In reality, I will probably pay someone to do the welding on it.

sledhooligan

Find a Dexter axle dealer, should be one in Rexburg or Idaho Falls. Your local trailer supply might be able to get one too. Dexter will build to spec. You'll need to measure WMS to WMS and center to center on the spring pads. Are your wheels 8 on 6.5 or the newer 8 on 170mm ? If they are 8 0n 170 you'll need adapters.You'll probably need custom u bolts and spring plates to attach to the ford springs.

Photobug

Find a Dexter axle dealer, should be one in Rexburg or Idaho Falls. Your local trailer supply might be able to get one too. Dexter will build to spec. You'll need to measure WMS to WMS and center to center on the spring pads. Are your wheels 8 on 6.5 or the newer 8 on 170mm ? If they are 8 0n 170 you'll need adapters.You'll probably need custom u bolts and spring plates to attach to the ford springs.

Thanks that bit of info on Dexter helps. Thinking my current bolt patter wheel is 1991, don't think Mercians spoke metric back then.

Idaho Falls is my local trailer supply. Even then I find my options locally (IF or Pokie) as we call them are limited. I will be calling on Monday to check out your suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles